Yonex VT80 vs Victor MX80

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Triptens, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I think this thread needs to add LiNing N90II in the mix, it's one if the most head heavy but at the same time really fast. It's probably one of the most underrated modern racket. Another good match up for VT80 is the green beast TC700.

Reason I said that, comparing VT80 to MX80 is like comparing orange and apple

2. troynguyen

troynguyen Regular Member

student
    Well said Yoppy. The comparison is not right!

In fact, I plan to get another VT80 as a back up racket, previously planning to get the MX80 but I think it might not be best for me as I kind of dislike arc10, an even balance racket. Will test the racket at 30X32 pounds to see how strong it is. VT80 is my go go.

Niam, could the short handle bar cause the issue? or timing i guess. :(

3. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    MX80 is nothing like the Arc10, so don't base that as a reason not to get one.

Anyway, you're playing well with the VT80, so just stick to it :)

4. zogun

zogun Regular Member

VFX Artist
    hey all,

i still cant decide which one to buy
    the price here in k.l/malaysia is the same for both mx80/vt80
    im using sw35 for single and at 900t for double, both 3U
    for string i prefer ultimax
    FYI, my backhand still really2 sucks but i think i can handle something heavy and stiff
    please suggest which racket to buy, hopefully i dont have to buy both! :D
    thanks

5. victor_83

victor_83 Regular Member

Sales Engineer
    If LCW start to use Apacs next year and fully endorsed by Apacs. Will anyone start to buy Apacs racket and other related items? And change the whole view dimension of the brand Apacs? Or any other brands. I'm just using Apacs as an example. On the other hand, Korean team start to use brand like Gosen, Li-Ning and other brands. Will Victor racket still be famous in the market?

#265 victor_83, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  6. erictung

erictung Regular Member

I just tried out my VT 80 @ 28 lbs today for a 2 hour session (used the racket for a bit over an hour) and it wasn't working out for me too much. When I was warming up with my training racket everything went smoothly. I feel like I couldn't bend my wrist as much and caused my smashes to be more flat. I did notice that there was a difference in power. Hopefully I'll adjust to it after more sessions.

G/L to all the people deciding on whether to buy VT 80 or MX 80 cuz this thread makes me want to try out MX 80 :3

7. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Which racket is stiffer between the VT80 and MX80?

8. TheNotoriousLIG

TheNotoriousLIG Regular Member

Student
    Time to answer a few questions on this thread. Right firstly @zogun. I have used mx80 and vt80 and u seem to be exactly the same as me. Backhand not quite there etc. I used a vt80 and its fast for a head heavy racquet and its larger head is very accommodating. However the mx80 is my preference. This is simply because once you are used to it, u dont want to put it down. My mx80 is bp 302mm and strung at 25lbs with bg 66 um. It is so responsive and lively, the accuracy with it is astounding. Also mx80 is faster than vt80 and u will notice it. For that reason I would suggest mx80.

@erictung The vt80 is like that but give it a week or so and you will certainly feel more confident. I remember having the same problem when i was using my friends on.

And CanucksDynasty Mx80 is stiffer in my opinion than vt80 and you do feel it but it is very positive and helps during net play and drives. The control is worth it in my opinion. I am not a big smasher but I do smash when a good oppurtunity arises. The stiffness isnt too stiff to hinder my smash. But certainly vt80 would suit a big smasher without compromising too much on defense.

To sum up, VT80- smashes 10/10 and defense, after you get used to it will certainy be around 8/10.
    MX80- Smashes 9/10 but drives 10/10 and defence 9/10. All depends on preference. Hope I helped.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Notorious, appreciate your comparison, but IMO these 2 rackets should not be compared. VT80 being head heavy and slightly flexier is designed for singles, whereas MX80 is designed for doubles with it's extra stiff shaft and slight head heavy to even balance, sacrificing ultimate power for speed and control which is more critical in doubles.

10. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Thanks for you all your guys opinions. Kinda justifies me wanting to buy the MX80 for doubles and keep the VT80 for singles. I have noticed that my VT80 was a bit slower in defence when compared to my older racket (NP3000).

11. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

It's a bit of a broad justification stamping the VT80 for singles and MX80 for doubles. If you're not professional, I'd suggest going with the racket you enjoy playing with most. If you're curious or too rich, then sure, why not own both?

The VT80 works great in doubles by the way, particularly mixed doubles if you're the guy - makes good sense if you think about it. There are pros and cons for each racket, but the better your technique and footwork gets, the less you'll notice (or care about) these. This is especially true when you get used (adapt) to the racket - keep in mind that this can take time.

12. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Ssj100, have you actually played with MX80?

13. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Of course, otherwise why would I be posting in this thread right hehe.

14. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Ok just asking, since you seems a lot to be an head heavy loyalist :)

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I played again with mx80 last week, it's just simply superb!! But I must admit that VT80 is better than at700

16. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    This thread has inspired me to get yet another........

MX80!
    :D

17. visor

visor Regular Member

I should clarify that I'm assuming level doubles at an advanced level, where everyone can defend smashes and play a flat game. This is where speed trumps power. ..... At lower levels, the players are almost like playing in a singles fashion (I call it mono doubles), where there are mostly clears and smashes, and rarely any flat drives or pushes. This is where power trumps speed, just like in singles.

18. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

One can analyse/speculate any scenario to death, and when it sounds logical, conclude that it must be right. Unfortunately, sports doesn't always work like that. I'm not saying that your analysis is wrong or outrageous - it actually sounds good to me, but I don't think it means the MX80 is more suited for doubles and the VT80 is more suited for singles.

Even at the advanced level, it depends on what styles you and your partner possess. At a very advanced level, I don't think the racket matters a lot. The biggest smashers in doubles (Fu Hai Feng, Tan Boon Heong) don't exactly use super head heavy rackets to generate supreme shuttle speed - who knows, they may have relatively weaker smashes with head heavier rackets. On another side of things, Hoon Thien How uses the rather head heavy (and many say "less manoeuvrable") AT900P but (in my opinion) has incredible defensive/drive skills. But his smash is relatively weak.

But as many will argue, what is the point of talking about professional players when you aren't one yourself? So in the end, for me, it's actually quite hard to recommend and make generalisations like many do. I suppose at beginner-intermediate level, I would recommend using a racket that's less than $50 hehe. At intermediate-advanced level and beyond, just use whatever you feel is good. If you use the AT900P/VT80 and find it suits your speed/defensive game, good for you. If you use the MX80 and find it suits your power game, good for you.

I also believe that the smash is extremely important (and seems to be under-rated nowadays) even at advanced level doubles - powerful smashes combined with delicate drop-shots are a lethal combination (change of pace). It's also important to finish off any poorly cleared shot with a powerful (winning) smash, or at least set it up for your partner to do a net kill.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

^^Fair enough.

20. TheNotoriousLIG

TheNotoriousLIG Regular Member

Student
    In most cases I would agree with you however my MX80 has a bp of 302mm and the VT80 i used had a bp of 308mm so i would say Its quite a fair comparison. But the MX80 is so good for deceptions and controlled shots that in singles, where placement is very important, the MX80 excels. Just a matter of finding ur strong point. But I definitely agree with u that they shouldnt be compared but since they are both flagship models, it is inevitable. :p