Yonex VT80 vs Victor MX80

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Triptens, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Triptens

Triptens Regular Member

I went with VT80 3U, removed the original grip and replaced with a cowhide (Prince) grip. It probably tipped the balance back a bit but still head heavier than most head heavy rackets.

Played my first 4 hours (2 sessions) with it and I absolutely loved it! Probably it's just the novelty of a new racket to begin with...so I need to play more with it to determine whether it's only a phase for me, but I'm guessing not.

I got a feeling this might be one of the better makes that Yonex has come up with in a while:cool:.

How about you, do you have a definitive choice already:cool:?

I have yet to hear durability issues regarding both MX80 and VT80 rackets though (Nevermind the occasional QC slips, it happens sometimes.).

2. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad
    Bisa means poison.

3. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Ok, my brief review of each. I want to say in advance, in no way did I predict, change or amend any of these scores. I simply rated each racket point by point exactly as I saw fit, and shockingly, the total scores were as they were rounded up. Rackets were both used for 13+ hours in singles and doubles.

Yonex Voltric 80 4UG5

Smashes | 9.5

Immense power (most powerful racket I've ever used), with sublime feedback and rigidity. Decent angles as well.

Clears | 9.2

Effortless. Initially struggled, but after getting used to it, simple easy flicks give surprising distance.

Drives | 8.5

What it loses a tad in speed, it gains in power. Drives are very direct and potent.

Drop Shots - 8

Decent drop shots with good control. Does have a tendency to over power them due to the head heaviness though.

Net Play | 8.5

Very good net play. The weight adds to the feedback and control response instead of making it harder.

Defense | 8

Good solid defense, but head heaviness does affect speed somewhat.

Placement | 9

Very good control, both at the forecourt and rear court. Power lets you hit those back court corners with ease.

Total | 8.7

Closing comments

This is a tremendously powerful and aggressive racket, with a level of feedback that is truly inspiring. It offers an in your face level of grunt at very little expense to speed and delicacy.
    It is however, a very advanced racket to get used to. The ultra head heavy nature coupled with the highly stiff shaft make it a demanding tool to use. If you are not a strong player, this racket will punish you. It took me a couple of weeks plus a shoulder injury to finally adjust to it's nature. And only now am I getting the most from it. If you can handle it's demanding nature, the racket will reward you with copious amounts of power and control.

----

Victor Meteor X80 3UG5 (Yonex equivalent)

Smashes | 8.8

Impressive power, especially for such a quick racket. Astonishing smash angles.

Clears | 8.5

Great clears with little effort. Often have to swing instead of just flick though.

Drives | 9.5

The rackets expertise. The stiff shaft, speed and precision make for incredible drives.

Drop Shots - 8.5

Lightness plus great string feedback offer up very good drop shots with decent control.

Net Play | 8

Net play was decent, but I find the lightness often impedes with response here.

Defense | 9

Quick precision make for brilliance in defense.

Placement | 9

A precision racket. The level of delicate control is amazing. Only downside is a bit of effort is required to hit the back court spots, otherwise near flawless.

Total | 8.7

Closing comments

This is possibly the best all round to slightly aggressive racket that exists today. It is powerful, precise and lightning fast. The level of delicacy and control it offers is brilliant, both in smashes, with impressive acute angles, and general play with good response.
    It does require a bit more effort to produce power than more head heavy rackets (provided you have ample strength and swing speed), but it doesn't exactly lack in power either. It's not an easy racket to adjust to thanks to the ultra stiff nature of the shaft, but a bit of practise and determination and you should adjust to it fairly quickly. Still an advanced racket for players with decent strength and technique. Ultimately, it's a great balance between power and precision.

---

MX80 vs VT80:

Difficult comparison really. MX80 is probably still the better all round racket and the one I'd have an easier time recommending to most players (since it is easier to use and get the most from). However, advanced or very strong players might prefer the VT80 as it does offer that extra layer of additional power that can really break down an opponents defense. It all depends on the player. A player with less strength will find that the MX80 clears much easier than the VT80, a stronger player that can utilise the head heaviness of the VT80 will find clears are easier with the VT80.

Ultimately it boils down to the level of the player and the kind of game you want. If you want a more aggressive racket that rewards a more fierce approach, the VT80 might be for you. if you want more of an all rounder, that excels in all departments but has more speed and better defense, perhaps the MX80 is better suited.

Honestly, not sure I could say one is better than the other. Though my personal go to racket for the time being is the VT80, purely because I've had to work hard to adjust to it, and am now addicted to the power and feedback it offers. Not to say I'm not going to use the MX80, it will always have a place in my bag and on occasion, on court. At least till Victor release a slightly more head heavy version anyway! :D

Side notes:

Certain elements I prefer about Victor's design, such as the flush grommets, sleek profiling, little plastic visibility etc (Yonex has very visible grommets, and wonky one's where strung tight). But then there are other elements where Yonex lead the charge, with more durable paint finishing for example. Both rackets are generally of the highest quality, so I'd worry not.

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

"bisa" is also poison in Bahasa, but only for animal poison. Poison in general we use the word "racun", again i dont if its exist in Malay. hahahaha its interesting......

5. Iori

Iori Regular Member

I agree, many people shy away from head heavy rackets, but really they should be training and developing techniques to master it. The benefits of a head heavy racket is very noticeable when playing in the rear, while the draw backs can really be mitigated with training and technique.

Naim, have you used AT700 or AT900p? How would you compare them?

6. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Completely agree with this.

7. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I'm afraid I have not used either of the fore-mentioned rackets so cannot offer my opinion on that, I do however completely agree with your point. But only to a certain extent. I feel like most players, who will not play many hours a week, should grade up in a slow and balanced manner. For example, shifting rackets that in-crease in BP by only a few mm, 5mm max at a time. Otherwise the requirement for adaptation can be too much and can lead to dangerous, often long standing injuries.

I play regularly, have a boxing/martial arts past, tend to do weights on and off, and even I have struggled as I've moved up the steps. Going from cheaper rackets, to the 8DX, BS10, MX80 and VT80, I've really felt a difference in effort requirement each time, and honestly feel if I'd moved straight from a BS10 to a VT80 for example, my shoulder would be punished more often than not.

So I agree with your point, but advise people train their strength and technique at their own pace instead of jumping to the most advanced rackets straight away. If you do this, you could find that you'll never really adjust as the chance to improve technique and strength is in-itself mitigated by time and progress wasted on injuries. But this is completely down to the individual, some players might be strong or fast enough to wield the head heaviest of rackets right from the start.

8. Iori

Iori Regular Member

Yup I agree, but most new players I meet today when they purchase a racket always go "which one feels lighter to you?". They think the lighter the better without ever considering the benefits of a more heavy racket. When I started playing, I used 2U rackets like cab 20, then when I switched to 3U MP99 it felt like feather light, but also much more powerful. I feel the amortecs represent another big jump in racket development. The jumps I feel that are significant for me are 2U cab-->MP99--->AT 250. I am wondering if the VT provides significant upgrade to the AT. I actually own a arc8dx but feel its very similar to the MP99, one step below the AT250.

9. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Not sure if it would provide a significant improvement, but certainly some just based off the aerodynamics of the design, what with a slimmer frame and shaft, but similar weight and increased head heaviness. Here's a review comparing it to the AT900P.

http://badmintan.blogspot.com/2011/03/yonex-voltric-80-vs-yonex-at900p.html

10. Iori

Iori Regular Member

Also to add, completely agree with your points on conditioning and training. Also proper technique is important, using a head heavy racket doesn't mean you have to tennis serve smash every time. For example some lady players that use head heavy rackets does not over exert themselves but rather use correct and efficient body kinetics. Of course again this takes dedicated training.

11. Triptens

Triptens Regular Member

Actually, when playing the VT80, it reminds me a lot about the AT900P.

To summarize in my point of view, I think AT900P is more powerful (just a scintilla) than VT80 but it is also slower than VT80...which is really pretty much in line with most comparisons.

Anyways, have you decided for sure which is which, as to your go-to racket, the MX80 or VT80?

12. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    VT80 is my go to for now. But I'll decide once and for all later today (I have a 3+ hour session). I'll let you guys know how I get on :)

13. troynguyen

troynguyen Regular Member

student
    anyone can tell me when measuring the BP, is it with string or without?

14. Iori

Iori Regular Member

Without string and overgrip would be the best since its not modded.

15. troynguyen

student
    thank you very much.

16. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Naim.F.C, we are still awaiting for your final review regarding VT80 & MX80, two rackets that in my opinion has the sexiest yet elegant design in nowadays rackets.

Anyway just wanna share my view on MX 80, played a view sessions on MX80, the head is quite heavy, in my opinion it has flexy shaft at least more flexible as compared to my main racket AT900P. The reason why i am sticking with my 900P is that MX80 does not provide solidness that i really demand from a racket, probably due to its shaft, but it is still a nice racket.

I have yet to try VT80 though....

17. avengers88

avengers88 Regular Member

How do u guys measure the bp for the racquet? And also the weight?

18. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    So, todays session with the VT80 didn't go nearly as well as my last. Just didn't feel as strong or quick. Felt I had to work quite hard to get power from it, whereas on Monday I was demolishing everything without any effort or not. Today smashes weren't as fast/hard, and clears weren't as easily long. Racket just felt heavier. Don't know if it's because I didn't eat properly before the game or what (on Monday I had half a roast chicken and salad several hours before play, today all I had was porridge and a small oat bar, no breakfast or lunch lol).

I switched to the MX80 mid way, and whilst it was a lot quicker and easier to use, it didn't feel as solid or powerful, so I switched back to the VT80. I thought I'd force myself to work harder to get more out of it, even if I did feel less strong. Still didn't get any aches or pains.

Now I'm un-sure again, despite still playing better than everyone else today, I still wasn't nearly as fast, strong or accurate as the other day. Also made many more mistakes. Looks like I have more VT80 vs MX80 comparisons to do lol.

#198 Naim.F.C, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  19. troynguyen

student
    Sting tension has dropped?

20. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    yes ... probably troy ...
    or maybe naim is getting old :p