Yonex VT80 vs Victor MX80

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Triptens, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    You know, I think one thing about the MX80 that is flying under the radar, is the Quality Control.

I find it almost completely remarkable that of the two rackets I have - one TWC and one TWB coded - they both weigh exactly the same and the BP is only 2mm appart. I suspect that if I bought another 4U, it would likely be the same.

The finish is also tough as hell. Whereas with previous Victors (except the SW35 which also has fantastic finish) you'd frame a shot and paint would flake off. I've had a couple of clashes where I thought the racket must surely be broken, and upon inspection I can't even find where the clash was!

A friends' VT80 that he bought at the same time looks like he got it out of the dumpster!

Dunno who makes these things (and the similar Fleet models) but surely the factory must be one of the best there is, currently. Top shelf design, materials and finish.

2. bjorn03

bjorn03 Regular Member

lawyer
    I have been an owner of RSL Millenium attack 3200, Karakal MTEC 80, Victor Meteor x80, Li-ning Woods N90, Yonex NS9000, AT700, AT900P, AT900PLC, VT70 and VT80 Ltd... For me, the best quality rackets still comes from Yonex...

As you can see, except for the NS 9000, all my rackets are "Head Heavy". Presently, My go to racket is both my AT9OOPLC and when i get tired i use my Victor MX80 and they both work just perfectly..

When at full strength, my AT900PLC delivers superb power and angle in my shots... When i get tired, i switch to my MX80 wherein i get consistency, speed and control...

My Yonex VT80 Ltd. just arrived today strung with nanogy95 at 26lbs... Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

#282 bjorn03, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  3. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I have both VT80 and MX80. And I agree with alot of posters here that they have different head heaviness and stiffness. I will be using the VT80 (better smashing) for singles and the MX80 (better accuracy and quickness) for doubles.

4. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    just a little comments for both rackets. while i was thinking which racket to buy.... i was lucky to try out both racket... from 2 of my friend and both of them are 3U and both of them stung at 26 lbs...

- MX-80 is more stiff than VT-80
    - VT-80 is more head heavy. so it gives you more power smash and clear shots. those who don't have strong wrist is hard abit to control VT-80
    - overall control goes to MX-80 for me due to it is wide body, can tell you that, is really fast.

another option is, i tried with my arcsaber 10 3U also strung at 26lbs.

- MX-80 give better smashing power and clear shots than arc 10 (head is more heavy)
    - MX-80 also give better control..

but still the same.. need strong wrist to use the MX-80.

5. leonardkee

leonardkee Regular Member

Sales
    Interesting comparisons so far, probably i'll throw my observations into the lot.

Got the MX80 and the VT80(3ULTD & 4UREG). Tried the MX80 last night and i was impressed with the head speed. I suffered in the smash dept because i was so used to the VT80 that i had quite a few mistimed smashes that made my elbow hurt, tennis elbow coming....sigh... The racquet performs really good at the net and flat drives just like some of the BC members have commented, stiffness of the MX80 is higher than that of the VT80. The 3U MX80 and the VT 80 4U is very close in terms of feel but the VT80 3U is outright heavier compared to its equal weighted MX80.

Liked the MX80 so much i decided to buy fellow BC Henry racquet.

Cheers

6. Holy Banana

Holy Banana Regular Member

voltric 80 for the win

7. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Kinda like saying I like bananas that aren't apples.

8. Ambushes

Ambushes Regular Member

After reading some of the comparisons, I'm curious as to the differences in power between the two.I own the MX80, and I've tried the VT80, but never compared them side by side. Is the difference in smash power that noticeable?

9. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    With or without your shoulder still in it's socket?

10. visor

visor Regular Member

short answer: yes

but if you compared an 89g 3u mx80 vs a 81g vt80, then i'm sure the mx80 would be more powerful.:D

as with most racket choices today, it's a compromise of power vs speed

#290 visor, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  11. Ambushes

Ambushes Regular Member

I feel no discomfort using either.Perhaps your getting old? :p

12. ernhmchu

ernhmchu New Member

I must say, despite the VT80 being a very well-made racquet, with enlarged sweet spot and all, I simply cannot use it properly because it is so head heavy and not stiff enough. I like defensive play, and so with the VT80, I couldn't defend as effectively and I couldn't unleash the full potential of its power. I end up feeling tired and miserable (because I tend to lose).

As for the MX80, even though I only just bought it, I already feel in tune with its high manoeuvrability and speed. Its slight head heaviness gives me the option to insert a couple of smashes whenever the opportunity comes.

But of course, I still enjoy playing with my BS10 most :D (but maybe that's only because I had it for a longer period of time).

P.S. I am not saying that the MX80 is necessarily superior to the VT80; both are excellent racquets. I just prefer the MX80 because of my relative strengths and weaknesses!

13. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

no big surprises here. MX80 is just more accomodating than VT80.