Need help to become Badminton Monster

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Pavlito79, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I will not disagree, but I want to add a 'but'. When training young people/children I totaly agree with you, you need to learn a foundation and continue to build upon this. Period.

But we have a grown man here who has most likely reinforced his behavior for some time now, so there's already a foundation, but the wrong one. If you try to isolate a motion too much, I will bet, that all his training will be 'forgotten' once he is in a match and all the old habits take over. Behavior is always contextual and if you try to re-learn a habit in an other context, you will have a hard time to do it. I train with other who already have some bad habits (I have bad habits too, but it is harder to observe yourself). When you try to isolate a stroke, it works in this isolation...until they add movement or eventually play a match, where all the old habits take over. If you want to override bad behavior you need to get as close as possible to the context in which it occures.

E.g. if you train shadow footwork to improve your footwork technique, it is much better to add a racket and try to play contextual (imaginary) shots, it helps more to get better with your footwork because of the context, thought for footwork technique alone you wouldn't need to use your upper body beyond balance. Going more into depth, when you move your upper body to execute a stroke, a lot of lower body muscles will try to compensate the movement and keep the balance, this movement need to be synchronized with muscle movement you need to perform your footwork technique. Regardless of what movement you do in badminton (exclude serve), it is always a whole body movement.

Speaking for myself, I got much better after I added a bigger context to my training, that is , more complete movement pattern, always using a racket and executing imaginary shots, instead of only using the racket for balance. But when I trained shots with a ball machine, I was able to play really good shots non-stop during training, but in game I misshit, hit them out, into the net, hit the frame. The problem was, that I stood still due to limited space, it was the wrong context. I changed it to add atleast a short,initial movement sequence to put it in a more realistic context.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

It depends on the individual whether they can process the complex practice. If they can't then they will just be ingraining bad habits without much feedback over and over. Start easy, get it right and go from there would be better.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Cheung and Pavlito79 like this.
  3. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Mr Pavlito. Video man. Are you from England?
    I like your professional touch on video editing. Nice to see creativity with text and everything.

You have the beginner's habit of making the swing more like pushing. When we pause your swing(photo) your elbow is usually on the same vertical line as your hand. But your hand should be lagging more. Same as in tennis. Possibly your elbow doesn't like that awkward movement yet, sorry.
    Screenshot_20220208-191808~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220208-185104~2.jpg Screenshot_20220208-185234~2.jpg

ralphz and Pavlito79 like this.
  4. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Probably is good idea I will try slowly add more things and make movement more complex, but need to eliminate bad habbits and implement changes in game as well. Cos I am practicing something and back to old habit when I play game. I must say I think more about all pointers what people give me here.

5. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

I don't like overwhelm myself with too much stuff. It will take shorter period of time if I practice more

6. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Thanks Simeon for your kind words, yes Iam from UK and try my best in video editing as I like do things like that learn new things and being creative. Back to video I know I should lock my wrist but that mean tens my wrist and don't understand that phrase throw your elbow ? The movement is awkward lol

7. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Probably as you can see more things wrong. I agree maybe I can learn faster but still need to be a right way

8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Simeon made a great observation and put it into words very well. And illustrated it really well with diagrams.

But what you understood from it is completely bizarre.

What do you mean you know you should lock your wrist. He didn't even use the word wrist and you quoted him.

And nobody says to lock your wrist whatever on earth that means.

And sometimes you reply to one person but reference things somebody else said or nobody said.

He didn't say "throw your elbow", at least not in the post that you replied to. And not in anything you quoted of him.

In the post you reply to, that you yourself quoted, he wrote "You have the beginner's habit of making the swing more like pushing. When we pause your swing(photo) your elbow is usually on the same vertical line as your hand. But your hand should be lagging more. Same as in tennis. Possibly your elbow doesn't like that awkward movement yet,.."

Look at the pictures he showed, the difference between the picture of you and the picture of Axelson, and look at what he said. that you yourself quoted.

Maybe you were reading something different from somewhere else by accident?!

Simeon likes this.
  9. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Lol probably I did and answered in wrong place, apologies

10. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

When it comes to your idea of not isolating parts of a movement when learning it, or cheung's suggestion to isolate.. Both are important.. There's a time for each. You think practising a stroke without footwork to the shuttle is isolating too much but actually there are a ton of complex movements just in an overhead stroke and sometimes it's worth only practising one single part of a stroke. Like getting the prep right. You say it might not be applied yet in a game, but sometimes things aren't meant to be "game ready" yet.

Things aren't just forgotten if not done in a game.. e.g. if you practise a particular move with a coach for week after week.. you will remember it more. It's important to know how something fits into a game. Also, at his level sometimes they'll be clearing it very short and so he can be behind it without lots of practise getting behind the shuttle.

And when it comes to even getting behind it, sometimes that can be done in isolation..

Ballschubser, Cheung and visor like this.
  11. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    VA is throwing elbow first. You are throwing elbow plus forearm about same time.
    Your forearm weights 2.2kg. Quite a big mass to move quickly. Your racket is 90g for comparison.
    But when your form reaches somewhere between yours and VA your present buddies will not play with you anymore..
    HNR2A52KMJBYVBDAU7SUKFTKCQ~2.jpg

Pavlito79 likes this.
  12. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Badminton insight have badminton related exercises and workouts on their website I believe. (Gregg and Jennie, two professional players).

Tobias wadenka has posted various recommended workouts on youtube.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  13. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Speed comes from power. Squats, running up steps etc. Not too much long distance running if you want to improve as a doubles player.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  14. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Thanks for all your thoughts

15. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    I see you as a talented doubles player with good reactions. I was impressed for example when your partner hit the shuttle to your back. Instead of freezing you tried to catch the shuttle before it fell down.
    Your history is somewhat similar to mine. I started badminton when I was 41. But I have been a jump smasher from the start.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  16. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Well so many people said to me I have a good reaction for my age. I love smashing and lots of players say I have a good smash but I dont feel that as I not hit smash like I probably can do. With my hight some people are scare to play against me but I always try my best sometimes just ease a notch down as not every game is competitive. So I will be 43 in july hope not too late to become a good level player whatever that mean.

17. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Joined a gym few days ago and doing mainly legs, core and abs, plus few more exercises for shoulder and chest. Also try stretch everyday as lots of people say is necessary. And so stiff and not flexible

18. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Did bit of clears today but not really happy with those, still back to old habits. Noticed still don't rotate my body but maybe because clears was really flat.

19. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Well, when people aren't playing at such a good level, the issue isn't that they aren't able to move faster and need to train more to become better runners or do heavier squats. The issue is they are walking around the court like they are having a coffee, and they are unaware of it. Or they aren't moving at all when they should be. And they don't know where their base is or the footwork to get there. Or they're running around and moving more than they need to.

Think about the players in the 1980s.. they weren't big gym goers.. Or all the female players who are more than fast enough .Or the junior players.

Also i'm a bit skeptical with these claims about "power" for badminton footwork, but that's a subject in itself.

And think about all the badminton players that don't know the difference between their wrist and their forearm, what do they know about training any body part.

Look at 1:27-1:28 the OP does a low serve, then there's a lot of time he doesn't immediately get ready for it to come back. That's just 'cos he doesn't know to and he isn't going to need to unless his opponents were much higher level. Nobody on that court has been coached to do a quick flat return of a low serve.

And in many instances the idea of having proper footwork in the context of a game like the OP posted, is in some cases a funny one anyway because what kind of shot is being played. And they don't know where they are meant to be hitting it. And they don't know the principles of doubles. So im not sure what really good footwork would look like in the context of a wild game like that, as peoples footwork at least in clubs i've seen, tends to be poorer than peoples shot quality. And I suppose that makes sense 'cos if you play a funny shot then it puts more of a question mark on where to go!

Let's say he finds a club that A)accepts beginner players, B)has a coach in club. Then he has a good idea of where to be and how to get there. And he'll get faster 'cos he'll know what he's doing a bit more and with a coach 1-1 he'd practise the footwork so that it's a bit subconscious.

But that's the reason for the lack of speed. Not any physical issue.

And even at a level much higher than the level there, so a level where they know what shots to play and they play them often.. like clubs in the UK that says intermediate only, and don't accept beginners, then people still move slowly often, because they don't really know where their base and they haven't drilled movements with a coach.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  20. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Dude be careful not to overdo this. Slow and steady wins the race.