Need help to become Badminton Monster

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Pavlito79, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    A few words of grips..
    A screenshot from the Pavlito's backyard session. Screenshot_20220208-205929~2.jpg You can see sky between the handle and his thumb. This is not the way to relax your grip before the swing. And prevents you from dropping the racket to your back correctly. Your index finger should be much closer to the shaft than your thumb. You really don't need to press the shaft with index and thumb at this point. Just experiment this.

Woesi and Cheung like this.
  2. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    You can wait even longer than Zhao here before curling your index finger around.

#102 Simeon, Feb 12, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Try looking at your post in an incognito window to see what it looks like when you are not logged in and you will see that your google drive link re Zhao doesn't work for people. You'll have to set the sharing option to Everyone for it to be viewable, otherwise it says "you need access".

this is the screen people get if your link isn't viewable to people

[​IMG]

4. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Thank you . I am used to share my YouTube videos, but I was lazy to upload the short clip there. So I tried Drive instead.

5. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

yes I will concentrate more on grip, preparation and elbow first. Break all in stages. Thanks for look in into my issues and for all your support

6. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Honestly I think I have this problem myself. Very valuable stuff

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You’re much better now. If you can train away that crazy turning out of the racquet head on your overheads. …. :D

precrime3 likes this.
  8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

As a place to start with your footwork

give this a try. Just of one corner , record yourself and get done feedback. Then you get add it more corners ….

Simeon and Pavlito79 like this.
  9. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Thank you I will do some more training for the rest of the week as was working, so didn't have much time to practice and badminton.

10. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Played today some singles and this is totally different game to doubles. The guy just kick my ass. Just could get to shuttle fast enough.

11. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You could get good at singles.

With doubles you can improve too but there is more of a ceiling in relation to who else is on court..

Also with singles maybe it can be a bit less complicated to determine what's going wrong!!! eg here it looks like you saw your shots were going short. relative to your opponents.

#111 ralphz, Feb 18, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    Pavlito79 likes this.
  12. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    In the beginning of the playing career we like to play singles. That is how we can see the progress.
    It is a great feeling when you have new ideas and you are able to make them work on court. That motivates you.

When playing singles you need to be ready to rush to the playing center after your stroke. In doubles you are developing instincts which tell you to move sideways when staying at the back court. When you have the time, start to do split step before you know where the shuttle is coming to.

When a better player is against you he should give a friendly game to you and slow down a little.

Allways wake up your legs before the game, and do shadow swinging. That really makes you faster on the court

Pavlito79 and Cheung like this.
  13. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Hello guys played some singles with friend yesterday. I noticed I cannot predict when next shot will be played and also swing is not there, footwork is still bad, don't think I do split step before opponent hit shot. Still don't rotate my body. Just please give me feedback and how I can eliminate all those things. I know it will take long time. For now I will only practice footwork and swing as don't have anyone to run drills with me anyway. Guy in white is me (big lump) :)

14. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    You seem quite relaxed on the court, which is positive.
    But you take it too far when hanging your racket down when moving. On the front play it is ok because you usually lift the shuttle from there. But when start to move to the back court you should lift your racket head and see it quite near your face. Think if you don't. Just a second before your over head stroke, or on the side of your head, you have to lift your racket head one meter, do the back swing, turn your body and position your legs as well. Not to mention performing a quality shot. No way..

Pavlito79 likes this.
  15. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Practise...practise...practise...
    There's no shortcut ;)

This is called anticipation and it needs a lot of time. As you play and train more and more, you will experience, that you gain some kind of game awarness. At this moment you are only reacting, but in the future, after hitting a stroke, you will have time to take in the scene, decide what to do and do it. But for now, the information flood of a single game is too much and your brain need to learn to filter important stuff, to predict the trajectory of the shuttle better, to predict the trajectory from racket movement and finally predict the trajectory from body movement of your opponent.

Most important: footwork, this is the tool to get you in a good position quick enough and is easily trainable. Rest needs practise, a lot of practise.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  16. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    In addition, on the left side of the court you should experiment round the head shots. Even with a stiff back you will manage because the arm and racket reach quite far.
    Part of the reaching left or right, are small sideway jumps. They are not so dangerous, just a little above the floor

Pavlito79 likes this.
  17. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Yes need to start make habbit of that as you are right is too many things to thing about it before hit a shuttle. Also I am not sure but should I lower my center of gravity more as when I look at myself I do look stiff :)

18. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Yes you are right - no shortcuts and concentrate on footwork for now. I will do what I can do to improve that aspect of game.

19. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

It is not neccessary to think about doing the split step during a match, because it is almost impossible to do.

There's a certain part in your memory, called muscle memory, which learns motion sequences and is able to play them back wihtout thinking about it. So, you need to get all these motion sequences into your memory, and this is done by repetition. To upload them, you don't need to execute them fast, but you need to execute them in good form, so during practise (e.g. shadow paly), execute them as cleanly as possbile before adding some more pace.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Pavlito79 likes this.