Need help to become Badminton Monster

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Pavlito79, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Hi all bit a slacking with my practice recently. Could you please give me a feedback about my footwork please.

2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Keep up the good work with the footwork practice , it will have the most carry over to your game
    In my humble opinion where you can make most improvement in your footwork is in your recovery. Check out their video for how to do that

m
    y suggestion for your next practice is , work just one corner at a time. Record it and and get some feedback. It’s easier to give feedback on one corner at a time

Cheung likes this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Have you paid enough attention to the above details.

4. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Yes I did but from my last video I still see not doing what you said to me there. Try remember about hand and split step with both feet land together and also tried bring leg closer for better recovery. I think I just need to slow down and start concentrate maybe one to two corners at time and keep uploading

Cheung likes this.
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The forehand side going to the net is usually more difficult to perform. You can try practicing this corner a bit more.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  6. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Looking at 0:21-0:24 where you go to a front corner. and this really applies to the whole first minute of you going to the front corners.

I have a question for you, of what scenario is that meant to represent in a game, i'm considering that you are fairly near the front, and taking the shuttle very low.. like, almost as low as your foot.. maybe 6 inches above floor level. .

And another question for you, Is there a footwork video that you got that footwork pattern from that you are trying to emulate for that particular movement you do 0:21-0:24, and that entire first minute?

The movement to the front corners at 1:38-1:45 given where you are moving from, makes more sense in terms of where you take the shuttle.

People tend to recommend these kind of footwork drills you are doing.. But, a nice exercise you can do is if you have somebody on the other side that is a high intermediate player or advanced player , somebody that can clear to the back and aim and drop and stuff.. and you high serve and they hit it to test your movement eg they drop/clear/smash.. So then you're not just going through motions you see it working..

Pavlito79 likes this.
  7. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

I dont follow any patterns just try master footwork each corner at time and move maybe to join them together in future. Good idea about someone stay there and feed you then you can concentrate on footwork and shot selection. Problem with me I dont have anyone who can do that and help, as people dont want to train :(

8. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

You can practice 2 corners at a time and try to have smooth transition between the corners, including a directional split step.
    Both front / front to back right side / etc
    Start slowly then increase the pace.
    Pay attention to the landing and be as stable as possible on your right leg (balancing with your left arm and left leg trailing behind) as it allows you to be faster back to the ready position.

Pavlito79 and BadmintonDave like this.
  9. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

i'm not talking about finding somebody that wants to train with you, in order to get the feeds. That won't work, because they'll be as good/bad as you.

I'm talking about somebody with quite a substantial enough level of skill to be able to hit them there. You aren't likely to find any regular club player from your games to do it. And a high enough level player unpaid, will be too much above your level and not benefit from it. So it'd be a coach, they'd be high enough level for this, but not for what you normally think of as coaching. It's somebody you have to pay in order for them to get on a badminton court with you 'cos there's no benefit to them otherwise!!! That's really part of what a coach is. And you ask that person to feed you there. So you can direct a coaching session based on what you(through your research, analysis, and interactions with people), have determined to be your needs. If you can't afford regular sessions then make it a one off, or from time to time. And they can teach you stuff too , pertaining to the exercise, if you want them to.

It can be useful to train with somebody of a similar level as yourself too. But that doesn't apply for this exercise.

#149 ralphz, Apr 28, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    Pavlito79 likes this.
  10. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Hi guys its been a while. I have a question about elbow pain. I change racket and played first time yesterday, I have a bit of pain in my elbow today and on the back of my lat (racket arm). Is that due bad technique or gripping too hard or maybe my grip is too small for my hand ?

11. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Probably poor technique along with the fact that our joints or tendons are not trained to handle the given task.

#151 Mason, Feb 15, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    Pavlito79 likes this.
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Takes a bit of time to get used to a new racquet with different strings.

13. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

I give a little more time. I also try correct my preparation for shot, so streching my arm back and try open chest more.

14. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

It should be easy for you to do some experiments at home or on court, to figure that out

also you say "back of my lat (racket arm)"

You literally have access to millions of pages and images on anatomy

Here are lats

upload_2023-2-16_13-44-2.png

The lats are not on the arms, as you should be able to see from that image.

If you call things the wrong thing then who knows..

Pavlito79 likes this.
  15. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Hi guys. Could I get feedback about my footwork to forehand net corner and backhand front please.

16. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Hello again :D

I would advise you to start with a wider base

Perform a split step / mini squat / directional split step in the direction of travel

Under no circumstances should your knee be at a less angle than 90 degrees when you lunge.

You're a tall player, compare the footwork you are practicing with a professional player and look at the difference.

Look at the angle of Victor's right leg at 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 1:04, 1:10, 1:49, that is what you should be aiming for
    And you can clearly see when he split steps

Pavlito79 likes this.
  17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Agree with starting at wider base and a lower squat to have a lower centre of gravity.

The last sequence of footwork to the forehand net is inefficient. 2.25 and 2.40 have two different movement patterns.

2.25 you put your left leg behind the right foot- this is only used by a few players in certain gameplay situations. It’s better to train basic footwork by left leg make a step forward to the net then lunge with the right leg.

2.40 You need to push with your left leg and then step forward to start the body movement - not switch legs. I am curious to know the source of the footwork pattern. Do you have a YouTube link?

Pavlito79 likes this.
  18. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Ok so i need to.
    1. Wider base and lower my starting position.
    2. Work on simple footwork patterns not mixing different styles.
    3. Recovery steps
    4 Quality of lunges

19. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

No I dont have a link. Someone show me that and I thought to try :(

20. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Try with a shuttle then you can better judge what works and doesn't work without just trusting so much what people say. It can be proven better. (And maybe you will see something re what your net shots look like given what you are doing with your racket! ) And if you see it proven then you will better understand what they said too.

When it comes to the stance... A higher/narrow stance is not really recommended because it's slower, can require an extra step. Technically if the opponents shots aren't so perfect then there would be time to. It's good to not be a robot and to understand the game.

One of the first coaches I saw showed me a footwork that was just strolling around the court very casually. I use it in non competitive games against a low intermediate player, if the opponent do a floaty drop, I might leisurely walk along the court and do a good net shot and nobody's there. Starts with a narrow stance and involves three steps and not much of a lunge. Learnt it from a very old injured coach that hadn't played for decades. If I am playing with some better players then my stance will be far more ready , wider. But against players that are afraid to hit it to me then I much prefer to relax a bit. Especially if they might only hit it to me if I look like I'm going to doze off / like I've gone into sleep mode / standby mode.

Whereas in the opposite situation so if most players on court are similar level to or better than me , I'm probably going to be targeted quite a bit , then the footwork has to be fast and especially the recovery footwork. Fast recovery footwork is often under-emphasised but it's so important in a very competitive game. Fast recovery matters less against less good players.

A major thing is to get to the shuttle and hit a half decent shot. And to have control so try a net shot. Somebody handfeeding you shuttles for net shots. You could do some for them too. Coaches do this for players all the time.

Where did you get the tapping your feet loads before moving? Looks like a "fast feet" exercise.. I'm wondering if in the video you saw they did it with a narrow stance or with a wide stance. Normally if that fired up then one would have a wider stance.

Practise now the footwork you want to learn now.. so eg the fast footwork. Stance is wider for that.

Narrow stance isn't necessarily wrong.. the logical way to look at it is are you getting to the shuttle, producing a good shot, recovering to your base ready for the next shot. As mentioned it can work nicely in some circumstances! But I suggest practising the fast footwork style for now.

And it's important to arrive at the shuttle nicely enough to be able to do a good net shot. Timing where you are going to be contacting the shuttle. Not getting your feet too close to it.

It could be argued either way re whether to introduce a shuttle yet. But not bad idea to , so you know to what extent what you are doing is working!

#160 ralphz, Feb 24, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
    Pavlito79 likes this.