Need help to become Badminton Monster

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Pavlito79, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Honestly, I have to disagree with this and agree with Cheungs comment. I personally am a total mess when processing a new move, and the more complex (aka thinking about both footwork and arm movement at the same time) the harder it is for me. I trip and fall all over myself, or only focus on one while completely forgetting the other.

But my coach insists I do them together and won't let me just practice one footwork move without a racket in hand. (Or he won't let me train, say a net kill or cross net shot without making me move a step towards then away from the net every time.)

I HATE it and beg him to let me just focus on one aspect first and then the other, but he refuses and forces me to do them together. And I hate to say he's been right. While the beginning stages are messier it clicks and comes together faster unconsciously when you are playing a game. (And I started playing badminton at age 40, so even for us "old dogs" keep doing arm and eg movement together and I promise you it will improve your game faster. Trust the process. )

2. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    It is a blessing to have a friend, who wants to practice.
    It is true your friend didn't hit far enough.

The following is more useful clear drill:
    Lift-clear-clear-drop-drop-lift-clear-clear-drop-drop-lift and so on. But use long drops, across the service line. Otherwise it will be too hard.
    Lift your both arms up before hitting, and point to the shuttle with your left arm.

3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

In normal terminology that English speaking badminton coaches use, and others too. Drop is what you do from the back of the court where the shuttle starts high and is hit downwards and not as hard as a half smash. Whereas a Net shot is done at the front of the court. You are using the term drop for both drop shots and net shots. There are some people that call a net shot a drop and refer to it as a net drop, but English speaking coaches I've heard do not use such a terminology, and they distinguish between "drop shot"/drop, and "net shot"

A possible issue with what you speak of lift, clear, drop, net , lift clear drop net, e.t.c. (which you are talking about) , is that it involves a lot of footwork. And if lacking the footwork and just wanting to practise clears then it makes it harder in a sense. Still a very useful thing to practise.

Simpler Is Lift, Clear.

and if one person doesn't want to just lift, then they can switch round.

It's not too bad even for the person lifting, as lifting is a skill too, and maybe something that they both could do with practising.

I suppose they could focus on the preparation and turning part of their clear, that reduces a lot of variables so is a good and classic starting point.

The drill you suggest is good too though.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The difference is adults quickly (and impatiently) want to play matches. Adults understand quickly but their ceiling for improvement is limited by their desire to quickly move to playing games. Many/most will not put time into isolated technique improvements. That’s why you see most adult learners with poor technique. Yes, they can run and hit the shuttle and that makes them feel good that their game is improving. But really, what you see is they are more consistent at hitting with poor habits.

When training kids, the kids are controlled by the trainers who can force them to do more isolated technique or routines. Matches come later.

5. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

How you need to find your base ? Is that place in the middle of the court when I can get for example in 2 steps to the net ?

6. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Yes I am not doing crazy pace or lift huge weight. Don't want to injure myself

7. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Yes I think us right what you saying lift clear clear drop net and lift again. I will have a go next time and also start from your suggestion first lift clear. How many you need to do to clarify that as good session ? Or is that up to your stamina ?

8. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Thank you guys for all comments

9. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    One minute drill is long time, if you can keep the shuttle alive. A short break and again. You are not practicing for a marathon, but to give 100% when playing doubles

Pavlito79 and Budi like this.
  10. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Wasn't easy to find video for the drill.
    Good warm up too before you randomly start to hit the shuttle and end up picking it too often.
    Here like in game, if you feel the rhythm you will feel the drill easier.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  11. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Just don't clear half court like the female is doing..!

12. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Heh.. the alfa male made the girl hit sometimes with one foot on the base line. But the girl did well with less than 90% power. The point is to hit with clean technique, and possibly experiment grips and your kinetic chains etc.

13. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

I understand clear should be to the back of the court all the time to reduce possibility of smash from half court

14. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

I give a go when I have someone to practice

15. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Well, if you want to judge the session, see if the person on the other side gives lifts to the back. That is very possible.. The person on the other side can probably lift it to the back unless their technique is bad.. Lifting to the back is simpler technique than clearing to the back.. and easy enough, especially if they are standing very near to the net. Many people smaller than them can hit the shuttle further than both of you.

You can also listen to the sound that is made when the shuttle hits the strings. Was it a nice "boing" sound or was it a dead sound. And that's to do with you being able to hit the shuttle in the right place on the racket. eg not near the frame. The sound from a can be a distortion of the actual sound. So you'll hear it much better in person.

Something to consider is to "turn" and "prepare the racket" ... standard coaching things that coaches mention.

As for how to prepare it, there are different ways..but you could try preparing it like Axelson is.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  16. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Any idea how to practise swing without partner on court. Is only shadow practise ? My wife tried feed me to get practice clear/smash swing but we was all over court . Still getting bad habits and keep thinking what I want to do but my body doing different lol

17. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I don't really know what you are saying here. You aren't going to be swinging like Lin Dan any time during your waking life time.

We are all going to have bad habits obviously.

Habits don't just vanish, obviously.

If you stand in front of a wall, and you say you want to pick your left ear, and you pick your right ear.. Then stop, pause, think about it for a moment, then try it. If after an entire week of trying, every time you try to pick your left ear you pick your right ear even when in front of that wall practising, then see a doctor.

Maybe you will do that particular thing wrong 10/10 times initially. Or when not near that wall practising..

Then after a week, maybe you will do it right 1/10 times. And for one day.

When not practising deliberately, you'll get it wrong loads of times even most times for a long time.

Really, why do you think people have to train this sport for years, very regularly, and many people even dedicated their whole lives to it.

Things don't just happen immediately like programming a robot.

Training badminton doesn't involve going to a brain surgeon and getting them to rearrange things so your badminton comes out working.

Look at Mason's thread where some people at various times have told him his grip is wrong, and in post #1246, after years, he says he's realised he had the wrong grip. And it's not the first time that he's been adjusting his grip. And it might not be the last time either.

So I don't really understand what you are saying there.

At county level, which is a very high level , people still have bad habits. It's not like they know everything and do everything perfectly. Just because some people don't spot their errors doesn't mean they don't have any and any that are down to some habit.

When ukplayer said to you ". Slow and steady wins the race." That also means that Rome wasn't built in a day., and neither was Kazakhstan!

#97 ralphz, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  18. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Yes slow and steady. I don't look for miracle just train and train and hope one day will click. And yes need to get more patience. Probably practise more not play games

19. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Your backyard swinging was good. Try to accelerate and pronate so that the racket head speed is fastest when hitting the imaginary shuttle. You can feel the speed and hear from the sound.
    Why not also hang a shuttle from a string and hit it. Just experiment every variation when swinging. There is something weird with your grip for example..

Pavlito79 and Cheung like this.
  20. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Here is one example..