Need help to become Badminton Monster

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Pavlito79, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

I send you PM

2. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    No probably about it, you have to be training seriously from 10 years old and winning national tournaments by the time you're 18, even then you're not likely to make it. A lot of players at good clubs will have been training 4-5x a week as juniors and playing competitions at weekends. I got ripped apart by a county pair last week and it was as hard to take a defeat like that as it ever was, but I had to do 3 hour sessions 3x a week on top of fitness and matches to maintain that level previously. It is a physically demanding sport. Most people I know from the circuit stopped in the 30s. Past a certain age it is hard to find a partner to play with consistently and you have to be coached together to maintain that level. It's easier to get injured and harder to recover. There are realistic limits on how far you'll get with this and it's very easy to underestimate this sport so just enjoy the process of improving. Where you are right now it should be easy to get better as you work on the fundamentals. You already have an edge in coming on this forum to ask advice, most players will plateau as they play games and don't have the impetus to work on technique. There are masters competitions beginning from over 35 down the line if you keep playing.

#42 UkPlayer, Feb 5, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    Simeon, ralphz and Pavlito79 like this.
  3. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Thank you for your kind words. I will be try harder of course and enjoy game. For now I need to concentrate on fundamentals. Footwork and Swing technique, stamina. For now I also play for fun and try come up with some multishutles drills I can run with my wife as she could help me and feed me shuttles.

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

that can work a bit but that's probably not going to work so great!

Good feeding is a difficult skill. If she can do a lift to the back tramline then that's something that can be of use to you.

You try hitting the shuttle where you want the shuttle to go, you'll see its beyond beginner level skill.

Even some very good players that coach, mess up feeds from time to time., and they have tons of skill..

Poor feeds are not that useful.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  5. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Yes I noticed that. It was bit hilarious yeasterday bless her she tried help me. We and up do some serve and I tried return, and she did some throwing near net so I could practice bit of footwork front backhand and forehand. But yes @ralphz is difficult and she struggle with power. She is only my little helper for now.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    And get your daughter playing as well!

Training her in basketball and badminton is a great idea. Can get her to be the champion. My daughter is also learning some basketball- she says many of the concepts she is being taught is similar to badminton.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  7. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Did some footwork , but I still noticed don't implement that in the game. Probably bad habits. Also made video with my swing all comments and help appreciated guys.

8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

really anybody beginning is going to be told the same things.. you gotta reach higher, your grip isn't right..

somebody might tell you to relax more ,they always do.. And somebody might say to use fingers..

Note that sometimes re reaching it's more about reaching out than reaching up. Anyhow, Your elbow should be higher for an overhead.

And all of that would be the case even if one weren't to have seen the video!

If nobody tells you your grip is wrong then that would be quite an accomplishment so let's see!

I can tell you the one at 0:30-0:32 is a complete disaster. Look at it in slow motion and your racket face isn't even open, the shuttle possibly wouldn't even hit strings your racket is so closed! (And if it did it'd be extreme unintended slice).

Also some of them I saw, your elbow is below your chin it's so low, that's not really a proper overhead, (assuming you are looking to do an overhead).

Fixing an overhead is complex even with a coach standing there with you.

#48 ralphz, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  9. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

So need to fix grip I try hold as V grip but somehow yes you right racket head look odd there. And elbow higher behind head ?

10. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Thank you @ralphz for your suggestions

11. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I wonder if it would be better to instead of using a racket here, to ditch the racket and throw shuttles. That could help with the kinetic chain

Cheung and Pavlito79 like this.
  12. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Probably will try and yes I noticed my elbow need to go higher and some weird thing happen to my left arm sometimes I think I will slow down a bit and do slower first

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Many points to improve

1) pulling the right arm backwards behind the body:

a. Make your right hand go more of straight line going backwards - yours has a bit of a circular pathway

b) when your right arm and right hand is behind, your forearm angles backwards - try to make it more vertical, the hand closer to the head, the racquet pointing directly up to the sky (your racquet position is inconsistent from stroke to stroke)

C) the right elbow should be just below the shoulder level.

d) the shoulders should be more level - your left shoulder is very much higher than your right shoulder (this is an older style). Just a little bit higher is ok.

2) grip needs a bit of fixing

3) starting the swing, your left arm drops straight downwards loosely. Try to make it reach forward first as it goes down like grabbing an object - this will help open up your shoulders , then you can rotate the body for the stroke.

Lots of other details but start off with that first. A good first position sets you up better for the rest of the stroke and also making it harder for the opponent to anticipate your shot.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  14. visor

visor Regular Member

And to add to Cheung's list, you must lead the stroke with your racket hip. At the moment your hip follows your elbow instead of the other way around.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

precrime3 and Pavlito79 like this.
  15. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Thank you appreciate that

16. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Thank you I bit struggle with that need to shift a weight from leg to leg but I will work on that aswell

17. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

You should not isolate a single stroke like this. Always try to mimic atleast a small cutout of a match or complex movement.

In your case take two steps backward, scissor step, stroke, take a step forward. If you have the space, include a split step at the start and a ready stance at the end. If you have only a hard ground, do it slowly to avoid too much stress on your knees.

I would say, that most people don't have issues with the stroke as much as with getting in a good position to execute the stroke. While your stroke might be perfect in an isolated environment, it could collaps once you are unable to get behind the shuttle.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Disagree. Complex movements should be broken down into simple ones to train and then built up slowly.

As for your point of people not having much issue with the stroke, the OP clearly has several issues with his stroke that he is unaware of.

Complex movements: Do you go straight on to a busy road as a beginner when first learning to drive a car?

Pavlito79 likes this.
  19. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

The issue with isolation is, that the muscle memory works with (muscle) movement sequences, it doesn't really work like a modular system, where each building block can be trained in isolation and works seamless once put together. So, it might work while you stand still, but get quickly out of control while moving.

Thought you should not start with the complex movement, you should not isolate too much, so a cutout (right word ? I mean a small sequence of) the complexer motion including the whole body (upper/lower body) would be a better approach in my opinion.

An other aspect of muscle memory is, that the execution speed does not really matter, so you can slowly execute the motion to train your muscle memory and it will be able to execute it much faster once you learned it.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You are not isolating each movement and then expecting them to fit together. You’re building up from the basics. Putting together a foundation, then building up the complexity on a sequential fashion.

However, this detracts from the problem. Humans think they can learn multiple new things at the same time. This is an overestimate of our ability. I have made this mistake many times when coaching. What actually happens is to a person trying to learn many things at the same time is that they lose focus and learn multiple things very inefficiently.

#60 Cheung, Feb 8, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    Pavlito79 and Mason like this.