Need help to become Badminton Monster

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Pavlito79, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I think the Kwun know the difference between wrist flexibility and forearm rotation. The assumption, that only forearm rotation is important in badminton is not correct. E.g. a lot of netshots e.g. a forhand tumbling netshot, where the grip is above the racketface which points down, needs good wrist flexibility. I'm not very flexible in my wrists and this really limit my netshot abilities here.

2. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Don't mix, either stay plastic or feather, else your muscle memory will have a hard time. Plastic shuttles fly father than feather and one of the most important aspects in badminton is a clear/lift with good length. How should your body learn to lift/clear your shots to the back of the court if there's a difference of 0.5-1.0m in length while using the same muslce movement and power ?

An other aspect is rotation. A feather shuttle rotates faster than plastic and a lot of advanced stuff (slicing, tumbling) need proper shuttle rotation to work properly.

Just think about what your goal is. Plastic is quite common in hobby/casual games, but uncommon in club/competition games. If you want to learn more advanced badminton (slicing, tumbling etc.), then you should switch to feather, though it is a quite expensive hobby. Feathers differs a lot in quality and it is not really the cheapest to get the cheapest shuttles, most often it is better to invest some more bucks to get some decent shuttles which will survive longer a lot longer.

SnowWhite and Cheung like this.
  3. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Something else I would want to mention is that as his technique and timing improves, feather shuttles will simply feel much better to play with. Compared to feathers, a plastic shuttle feels like hitting a wet sponge with a pillow. If playing with a feather shuttle is like hitting a golf ball with a driver, playing with plastic is like hitting a football with a baseball bat. Hitting plastics feels very dull and dampened compared to hitting feathers.

Since there is a better feeling and more feedback from feathers, it could speed up improvement of hitting technique compared to plastics.

Ballschubser likes this.
  4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I agree that actual wrist movements(bending and/or deviation), are used in various shots(and not bending the wrist wrongly), But as i'm sure you know, a lot of the time when badminton people talk about using the wrist they mean using arm rotation. So they should be clear re what they mean. And they might mean some other things that they didn'' specify but they should be clear re what they mean that they specified.

Do you think he has poor wrist flexibility e.g. do you think his wrist is limited in how far it bends back or what?

And nobody said that only forearm pronation is important in badminton!!!

#24 ralphz, Jan 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  5. MarketWizard

MarketWizard Regular Member

Lol calm down. Why you getting so worked up?

6. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

I know guys you said concentrate on 2 things at time . I think I will start with a foot work maybe with swing. Should I start from 2 corners and progress through that or do 4 and leave back court. Plus maybe do some routine for quick feet ? And do we use the same footwork with doubles ?

7. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Plus any videos what you could recommend what to follow as is so many online

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    These have good explanation

Pavlito79 likes this.
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Good exercises here - train muscle memory off court.

If you can't do them, persist. LOL

Pavlito79 likes this.
  10. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Hello guys Iam new here and bit old to start sport in my age but with everything in my life i would like to become better player and find something to push me forward . Need guidance as I really dont know what and how I should train my body and technique to be better player. Where should I start and what foundamentals I should learn. I willing train hard and do my best despite a fact iam a father and working hard

--

Hey there, I am an advanced player have been playing for 12-13 years and am level 1 badminton coaching qualified. I'm about a 2hr 10 minute drive from Cambridge and would be happy to help you out with learning once a month on a Saturday if you can fit that in.

I'm not allowed to coach until level 2 qualified, so it would just be practicing things, giving you suggestions etc. Let me know if you are interested.

The Tobias Wadenka and Badminton insight videos linked in this topic are very good resources to use, I recommend those also.

11. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A

Lol hi I was mentioned twice so I thought I would pitch in. Cheung is correct. I am absolutely insane and one track minded about badminton. Probably the only other thing I think more about is girls LOL.

As for the investment it really depends on how crazy you are and how much are you willing to suffer. Before I got a coach I would do footwork alone in a gym for hours on end, practice hundreds of serves, and record lots of footage for online people to correct my footwork.

Once I got money and graduated, took a trip to thailand to train with Intanon and other top players. Crazy how much you improve in 3 months when you're training 5 hours a days, 6 days a week LOL.

I'm not good by any chance - but I am leaps and bounds better than me even just a year ago.

This sounds like a lot of platitudes so let me give you some actionable advice:

Consider how badly you want to improve in badminton and in your life situation. Get your other aspects of life together (money, health, career, etc.) or rearrange them if you want to pursue this. Ask why you want to improve and how much you're willing to suffer and for how long.

Considering you want to be a monster I guess you're wanting to be insanely good - I would suggest finding a coach who will give you training as much as you can take it, or be prepared to travel/move for good coaching if there is any.

Feel free to reach out anytime, the path you're wanting to go on is lonely and hard.

12. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Yeah would like to be good, but in my age is probably too late to think about pro athlete stuff. So yes I would love to travel and learn from the best people but there is money aspect issue. Plus I have a family and daughter too look after. But it is never too late to progress and learn something new in your life. I will reach to you probably as need any help and experience from all my badminton family.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

True but that won’t stop you from being a good player.

I am guessing you have done other sports in the past from the quite fast reactions that you have. This is an advantage in learning new movement patterns.

Getting to a decent league level is definitely possible even with limitations of family and work.

Pavlito79 likes this.
  14. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

What would you consider to be "decent league level" in the UK?

Are there particular names for the league levels below county level?

I heard that there's division III county level .. Is that considered "league level"?

I remember in my first year or two of badminton, I played at a club where I was asked to join their league though I wouldn't say it was a decent level as I couldn't have been at that stage.

One club I tried to join when I was a beginner level, they told me to come back in 6 months as I wasn't yet mid-strong intermediate.. I came back after a year a much better player and kept improving further, and at a rate that impressed them, and about 2 years later they asked me to represent the club in a league they play, but I couldn't commit as I had other commitments.. so I never found out details re that league...

Is Division III County considered not really county, and more league level?

It seems to me that there are regional leagues that might be a bit official? But then there are leagues that somebody typically a person running a club, just creates that isn't set to a particular region and that could be any level.. Some leagues have some pretty bad players like low intermediate players, but I don't know if those leagues have an official level? Like are there official leagues and unofficial ones?

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Which county are you in?

16. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I've been in various ones in london. So, you could pick one or answer generically.. And if I was in a particular county I wouldn't post that online, as I don't believe in posting such personal info online. Is it possible for you to answer generically? I am not looking to play in any leagues this year as I have some other commitments but it's just a general question. Thanks

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Each county has different strengths.

Middlesex is the strongest county at the moment.

Herts is also strong.

I would consider decent level to be a district league level 2 and above bearing in mind this encompasses a considerable range in abilities and according to different regions. But the best gauge is for you to go try the clubs yourself and go up against the team players.

In football, Scottish leagues are not equivalent to the English leagues. Do they set an 'official level' for football? As far as I am aware, they do not though I am quite happy to be corrected on this.

#37 Cheung, Feb 3, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    ralphz likes this.
  18. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Yeah sounds good. And yes used to play basketball professionally in the past and a bit of volleyball. So that I love a challenging myself and be a little competitive. I tried some good club close to me but they told me go somewhere else as they not really beginners level club. So I need to do something else for now as they even see me play but already say iam not good enough lol

Cheung likes this.
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Nice!

You already have a big advantage on the agility side.

First step acceleration and change of pace of movement are usually difficult for many badminton players but for you, should be easy :)

Pavlito79 and Mason like this.
  20. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Well my pro career finished like 15 years ago dunno if much agility left here lol. Probably only enthusiasm. Any recommendation for gym exercises to what to concentrate badminton related as need that speed in legs