Malaysia Open Grand Final

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2005 / Malaysia Open 2005' started by sunzhi, Jul 9, 2005.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I've said the chinese are 'generally' weaker on the mental side, some more, some less so. It's a broad personal opinioin of mine which i've kept because of abundant supporting observation. Also, zhang ning is now a veteran which make LD a newbie in the mental dept. It just mean the chinese needed more touranment experience to groom their mental toughness. I'm sure next year LD would be far more mentally stronger than this year(2005), which is better than last year (2004).

You said:
    My answer is straight and firm, it's because the chinese is also excellent in the speed, footwork, stroke making and other skills. When zhang ning playing against hari, ZN could might have been daydreaming (about her wedding and honeymoon, hehe) and ZN could still beat hari imo LOL. Only when other physical components are evenly matched, the deciding factor will be mental, which i have also stated before. Both LD and LCW are fast and attacking players, neither one own the speed department. The winning edge here was mental focus and toughness, which LCW has 2 things going for him .

#441 cooler, Jul 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

more pics..................

Attached Files:

3. belfastnole2

belfastnole2 Regular Member

no world ranking tournaments between now and WC

4. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

there is one more, the MVP cup in philiphine begins on 17.07.2005. see here
    http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24394

but there won't be any point accumulated for the world ranking.

5. nugroho

nugroho Regular Member

according to the IBF rank list LCW has 22.680 and plus 4.200 today he will got 26.880
    nut dont forget that has also incraese their point and even peter gade as well.. so...? let see what will be the list looks like
    ;)

6. wanalexwan

wanalexwan Regular Member

not to forgot the delete the points for last year's tournament

7. KourKK

KourKK Regular Member

I think people here on the forum should just applaud Lee Chong Wei for defending and retaining his crown, rather than complaining about home support etc etc. You might say im saying this only because im malaysian and loyal to my country. But if Taufik or Gade or Jonassen or Bao won agaisnt Lin Dan, i would have applauded them anyway.

So maybe we should stop taking things away from Lee Chong Wei's Win, because no matter how 'partial' the line calls were, im sure that they were made in all fairness, as you guys have said, how many of us can actually make correct line calls in the heat of the moment? (if it was us there) So we should congratulate LeeCW, for his first win against Lin Dan, and for retaining his crown, and for a great game of Badminton

8. streamyx

streamyx Regular Member

Chong Wei Outlasts Lin Dan

[size=+2]Chong Wei outlasts Lin Dan to retain Malaysian Open crown[/size]

BY RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: National number one Lee Chong Wei fell on his back; punched his fists repeatedly in the air; and blew kisses to the badminton fans at the Kuala Lumpur Badminton (KLBA) Stadium yesterday.

The pumped up Chong Wei had given an outstanding display to successfully defend the Proton Malaysian Open men's singles title.

He took 88 minutes to beat world number one Lin Dan of China 17-15, 9- 15, 15-9 in a power-packed final. And he certainly felt on top of the world.

“I am very, very happy,” said Chong Wei, who bagged US$9,600 (RM36,480) for the win.

“Winning the Malaysian Open title for the second time is certainly different. I never thought that I would clear even the quarter-finals.

“But here I am today ... I defeated Taufik (Hidayat) and Lin Dan for the first time in the same tournament.”

On Thursday, Chong Wei put up a brilliant show to beat Athens Olympics gold medallist and Singapore Open champion Taufik 15-5, 15-0 in the third round.

With the win yesterday, Chong Wei has avenged his defeats by Lin Dan and Taufik.

He was beaten by the Chinese in the Thomas Cup qualifying tournament and went down to Taufik in the second round of the Asian Badminton Championships last year at the same venue.

It was Chong Wei’s delicate play, tight net shots and several great fightbacks that won the hearts of the crowd. He clawed back from 0-7 down in both the first and rubber games to win them.

The world number eight is nowlooking forward to the World Championships, which will be played in Anaheim, California, next month with optimism.

“I never gave up when the chips were down against Lin Dan,” said Chong Wei.

“Everyone saw how he played. He is excellent in attack and his overhead smashes and forehand cross court shots are dangerous. So it is very satisfying to beat him.

“This has given me a lot of confidence. I have one month to prepare for the world championships. I will be more than happy to bring back a medal for Malaysia.”

Lin Dan, who was playing in his first Malaysian Open final, was certainly disappointed and dashed out of the stadium after receiving the US$4,800 cheque.

Malaysia's singles coach Li Mao of China was happy with Chong Wei's performances in the tournament.

“It was a very high quality game but Chong Wei held a slight advantage because he read Lin Dan's game well and it was his home turf and the crowd was behind him all the way,” said Li Mao. “In his win over Taufik, he displayed good skill and yesterday against Lin Dan, I was happy with his speed. Overall, it is Chong Wei’s spirited game that helped him win the title today.”

On Chong Wei's preparation for the world championships, Li Mao said: “He is now a world-class player. Yes, he will be one of the contenders together with Taufik and Lin Dan at the world championships.”

There were also disappointments for China in the men's doubles and mixed doubles events. Indonesia's Candra Wijaya-Sigit Budiarto certainly proved that they are on the right track to win the world title for the second time. The 1997 world champions defeated Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng 15-11, 17- 14.

In the mixed doubles, Koreans Lee Jae-jin-Lee Hyo-jung downed Chen Qiqiu-Zhao Tingting 15-12, 15-12. The all-China finals in the women's singles and women's doubles were won by their Olympic champions – Zhang Ning and the pair of Yang Wei-Zhang Jiewen

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I wasnt whining at LD lost :p I was just continuing my preaching about the vaious skill importance:D If LCW continue with this energy and focus, i hope he wins the WC MS title too.

btw, do i sound like Li Mao?Puahahaha

Li Mao
    “It was a very high quality game but Chong Wei held a slight advantage because he read Lin Dan's game well and it was his home turf and the crowd was behind him all the way,” said Li Mao. “In his win over Taufik, he displayed good skill and yesterday against Lin Dan, I was happy with his speed. Overall, it is Chong Wei’s spirited game that helped him win the title today.”

Me
    Both LD and LCW are fast and attacking players, neither one own the speed department. The winning edge here was mental focus and toughness, which LCW has 2 things going for him. 1. LCW inheritance mental advantage over LD 2. Extra positive home crowd energy to LCW.

#449 cooler, Jul 10, 2005
  10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    The points for last year's Malaysia Open were already taken out. That's why his ranking dropped to 8. Anyway, I think he will stay within the 5-8 ranking bracket. The good news if you are in that bracket, is that you cannot possibly meet Taufik before the semifinals (if Taufik is also in the 5-8 bracket)

11. h2005

h2005 New Member

Any video on the final?

Please please...video of MS, MD please:rolleyes: . DVD will do.

12. event

event Regular Member

tutu_h,

Where do you get this idea that their height is similar?

This Athens list has LCW at 172cm:

http://www.athens2004.com/en/ParticipantBiography?pid=368031&rsc=BDM001000

...while Lin Dan is 178cm according to the IBF.

To put it another way, isn't LCW the shortest men's singles player in the top 20? let me answer my own question. Shoji Sato is apparently only 167cm and Agus Hariyanto is listed at 170. LCW has to be 3rd, though. Remember, you can't count the hair, even though Lin Dan has a comparable lid.

13. y0ng

y0ng Regular Member

Engineer
    I have it on DVD format. If you want, I could copy it and give it to you for free, but you have to come to my home to take it. PM me if you want.

14. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

not true, the bad call was first noticed in the later part of game 1, if i am not wrong when lee was serving at 12-12 hence giving him the 13 mark. lin dan didn't lead at 8-1 before changing end, he was leading at 7-1 and then a bad line call when lee was serving. it somehow affected lin's momentum and lee started catching up and gained few straight points. well, bad calls happen everywhere and that is one of the advantage of playing at home...

i must agree that this is no excuse for blaming his lost. lin could (and should) hv wrapped the match in straight games, easily. no offense but look, lin started really well and was in total command and dictating lee who looked amateur. but so typical of lin, when he was in comfortable lead in game 1, he changed his pace and tried fancy shots and plays. no more aggressive attacks but start lifting... lee's lethal weapon is his quick and powerful smash and when he started getting points, confidence built up.. honestly, lin only had himself to blame for the lost. well, i know i am not in the position to evaluate his play, just my 2 cts and....

15. event

event Regular Member

This is ironic. As Newplayer pointed out in posting #387 to this thread, Taufik once walked off the court in Korea because of line calls. In fact, this was at the Asian Games in Busan in 2002. He walked off for ONE HOUR!! Not only did they not declare a forfeit, but they replaced the linespeople with international umpires who were waiting to umpire other games. Taufik still lost. He did win the individual singles gold in another final against a Korean player but again they didn't use Korean linespeople.

Some of the line calls in question were terrible. Two inches out and called in. About the telecast, one thing I noticed was that they didn't replay the point that caused Taufik to walk off. I've noticed a pattern of this at Korean tournaments. There seem to be a lot of calls that favour Korean athletes - Ng Wei vs. Ahn Hyun-suk at this year's Open was one example - and a lot of the questionable ones aren't replayed on TV. I might just be imagining this, however. I can't claim to have done a controlled experiment. They do have cameras trained only on the back line at the Korean tournaments and do a lot of replays. I didn't see any useful replays on the Chinese broadcast that made it to PPLive. They didn't seem to have any dedicated cameras for that purpose. They just had action cameras that often missed the contact point.

I agree that LCW seemed to benefit from bad calls at crucial times in the 1st and second games and it's no secret that he had nothing to complain about in terms of calls against him. It is also true that Lin Dan complained about some calls that seemed to have been clearly correct. Either way, I think that some players in some tournaments react better mentally than Lin Dan did yesterday but I don't know if that's a habit with him. The only thing that is clear is that Taufik is not the example to follow in this respect.

It's a shame that lines require so many people that using only international staff is impossible. There is always a third country umpire but the umpire has next to no influence on the point decisions. Extra contact with the shuttle is relatively rare as are net violations. The vast majority of decisions that can reflect game outcomes are made by local amateurs. Oh well, I guess that's one advantage to the biggest tournaments - Olympics, All England, Worlds - almost always ending up in places with few if any contenders. I mean since '92 the only exceptions have been the WC in Denmark in '99 and the handful of times that England has had contenders in Birmingham for the WC and AE. Okay, I guess the team competitions totally complicate that argument, don't they. I keep forgetting how important they are.

16. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

agree with you that lin should have wrapped up the match with ease had he not change his game. i dont agree a professional player shouldnt complain if there are plenty of bad calls. lin did raise the issue with the umpire but he didnt make a scene outta it like taufik hidayat did in bushan asian games. but you know what, taufik who walked off court for more thn an hour in protest, at least proved his points and the linesmen were changed. in all fairness, biased line judges shd nt be tolerated.

17. streamyx

streamyx Regular Member

Pls lah.. u people... those who comment about the "bad" line call. Did u all actually watch the live play?? LCW really play a high skill game, and u can see Lin Dan is running all around the court to return the shuttle. Even he dives several time to save the shuttle. Not counting number of times Lin Dan unable to guess or been fool from the pace and shuttle sended by LCW. Include tight and skillfull net shoot. What is all this?? U call this a bad line call?? huh?
    So, if u people still insist that Lin Dan lost is due to bad line call. And If Lin does not think that his defect yesterday is to a better player.Then i can really said, Lin Dan is going to loss more. Because LCW had improve a lot and now he is one of a world class player.

18. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    My opinion on why Taufik lost so easily to Chong Wei in Malaysia Open is partly due to his ambition in the WC. Coaches and players always have their own strategy and plan. Everytime you play at your best, your "secret weapon" or "killing weapon" will be studied by opponents, and your opponents will be getting more and more clearly to your style, they will absorb and try finding reaction ways for your tactics and skills. When Chong Wei defeated Hyun-il in last edition of MO(forgot which year?? or is it MO), HI was stunned by Chong Wei wrist skills.

Just my 2 cent

19. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

like TOP-ACE, i ws also watching it live on pay tv and hs no relation with china or m'sia, hence making my comment from what i saw.. from the replays (kudos to the local tv crew for not cutting those bad calls like the korean did), there were couples of really bad judgements went against lin dan, some were really obvious.

20. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    There were no cameras trained to the lines. What I judge myself from the live telecast was
    1. A smash by Lin Dan that hit the line that was judged out.
    2. A drop from Lee CW that was let go by Lin Dan, I thought it landed in, the linesman said in, Lin Dan protested, umpire said she saw it herself as the shot landed right in front of her.

Both players had to target the lines, as it looked like it was the only way to win. A lot of out shots from both players were very marginal. It should not be surprising that some shots may be deemed just out by the player and just in by the linejudge, and vice versa. Linejudging is analogous, not digital, as in there exist a grey area, no matter how small.

The way some players play is to vent out their frustration on the linejudge. Even in the MD match (in which the linejudges have no reason to be bias), there were several complaints from the Chinese pair. I think they were warned once by the umpire. It is not surprising. In many tense matches, you see players at least glaring, or showing some disgust, at the linesjudge. Not only in badminton. On the other hand, some players would totally ignore the calls, just take the judgement and carry on. It depends on their style, I guess.

#460 hcyong, Jul 10, 2005