Malaysia Open Grand Final

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2005 / Malaysia Open 2005' started by sunzhi, Jul 9, 2005.

1. KourKK

KourKK Regular Member

I think he means that the Singapore open isnt represented by the Government, Such as our malaysian DPM here to spectate, and even at the Jati Test between Malaysia and Denmark, the Sultan was there to hand out prizes etc.

2. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Yeah...but Sing Govt pumped in many millions so far. Maybe they felt that is enough

3. xijiayu

xijiayu Regular Member

Badminton is one of very few sports in Malaysia which entitled to get funding from government. That's why it's getting so much attention from everybody in Malaysia.

4. danieL_amiranda

danieL_amiranda Regular Member

that is Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor(wife 2 DPM)

5. KourKK

KourKK Regular Member

I got confused when they changed shirts before the 3rd set, esp when Lee Chong Wei put on the black/red lightning shirt which i somehow associate with the chinese team !

6. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    I think LCW was overall a better player... his net shot is tighter compared to Lin Dan and his crosscourt smash is supreme... he could have wraped it up easily in the 2nd game, however its so typical of him to let his guard down and try all the unecessary fancy net shot, thats why he has to stretched for rubber set...

Although a few line calls were strange... but as a professional and mature player, they shouldn't complain about it.... I thought it was very immature of Lin to temper with the umpire and has to drag his coach out of the seat to assess the situation...

7. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

It's wrong to blame home support, players who cannot block out their
    opponent's home supporters are just mentally weak, therefore they deserve
    to lose.

It's not wrong to blame the line judges for bad calls, after all, they are meant
    to be fair. Losing points that you clearly won would piss off just about anyone.
    In tennis, match referees and line judges get fired for making these mistakes.
    If I remember correctly, a few years ago in Wimbledon, the match referee for
    the game between Venus Williams and Karolina Sprem was fired right after the
    match for giving Sprem an extra point in one of the tie-breaks.

Talking about Taufik, I'm big fan of him and I think he's the best singles player in
    the world at the moment, but I seem to remeber that he walked out
    of the middle of a match in Korea Open a few years ago because he was pissed
    off by the bad calls from the Korean line judges.

I understand that good players should be mentally strong enough to block out
    the bad calls, however, no one is perfect, that's why good players lose focus
    when they are given bad calls. I think Lin Dan deserved to lose the match
    because he wasn't mentally strong enough, and I hope he works on this and
    becomes a better player in the future.

On the other hand, I don't understand why there could have been more than
    1 bad call in the MS final. I mean, in Sudiman cup, there were line cameras
    everywhere and many questionable call was replayed on the big screen, did
    they have the same thing in Malaysia open?

NP

8. TOP-ACE

TOP-ACE Regular Member

I do not say the govt didn't do good job,i say the media...the media seems
    to be more bias on soccer and other game like golf,water sport,from what i think
    the media purposely do not want to report about badminton since they do not
    have much well known badminton player,but strange,we do not have any
    good soccer player too...infact all are katek have monkey skill,want high pay
    but can't produce...this type of player how to go world-cup.Even winning
    ASEAN game also got problem.In Singapore,apart from minister Lim Swee Say
    and MM Goh Chok Tung,the rest all seems un-supportive.But the very-very
    disaapointed one is the media,even Ch Newsasia website and yahoo.com.sg
    also very little if not very-very slow in reporting anything about badminton.
    Flip through Msian NWP,i saw so many news about Badminton.
    Perhaps,the block head reporter,journalist in Singapore Media
    think Singaporean only like soccer,golf and tennis.

Weigh for yourself

9. KourKK

KourKK Regular Member

Any idea in the increase in prize money compared to last year ? i dont think taht the malaysian open (2004) had a MS Prize of 9,600 US

10. rwchen

rwchen Regular Member

I did not get to watch the match, it was not shown in RTM 1 which I hope it will. LCW is the eventual champion , I heard that there were a few questionable line calls, is it true? I can't wait to see what will happen in the World Championship next month.

11. KourKK

KourKK Regular Member

Good Points mate... very good points.. But i reckon that we as spectators cannot rightfully complain, i mean,, who can honestly say that they did not get entertained by the 3 set final? and so we should be content.. But for Lin Dan and LCW, i agree with you that Lin Dan's mental strenght went down the drain, and LCW kept strong and pulled off some great shots in the match. So all credit to LCW and his improvement, and his advance since his defeat at the SO..

So... we should be good sports, like the Lions Fans were here in Auckland, as they watched their team get hammered by the All Blacks, 21-3/48-18,38-19 in the 2005 lions tour. Even with their teammates losing, they were good sports, and good fun, and far from being sore losers, as the All Blacks drove home the final nail for a series whitewash at Eden Park, Auckland

#391 KourKK, Jul 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  12. tangyeefun

tangyeefun Regular Member

OH yeah man! I remember when Susilo got into the final of the Singapore Open, I went to buy NEWPAPER before going to the stadium. There were nothing about badminton inside!!!! They alway seems to make badminton a second rank sports compare to English Soccer and Tennis (in the case of Straits Times).

13. TOP-ACE

TOP-ACE Regular Member

Daniel,thank you for correcting me

14. rwchen

rwchen Regular Member

I hope that Lin Dan and LCW may meet again in the World Championship at a neutral ground. I agree that good players should be mentally strong but if it is true that there are more than one bad line calls, it's not fair to Lin Dan. If I remembered clearly, in the last world table tennis championship in Shanghai, Timo Ball of Germany pointed out to the referee on a decision which favoured him initially, the referee restracted his initially decision and awarded a his opponent Liu Guo Liang a point , Timo Ball won the best sportmanship award there. Are there any such cases in badminton?

15. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I agree with the usage of line cameras.....technology is advanced enough now and reliable. It should be the final judge. IBF has not implemented it yet.

16. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

Of course we can complain -- even though it doesn't change anything -- but it
    does enable the supporters of the losers to let off some steam. I can honestly
    say that I didn't get entertained by the 3 set final at all!!! I couldn't watch it
    on TV. :( I'm glad that you guys were thoroughly entertained, it's good for
    the sport.

NP

17. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Sorry...I misuderstood. I understand your point now. Yes, Sing Media has to be more supportive of badminton. In Malaysia, badmintion gets a lot of coverage even after Malaysian players are all out. Sing Media has to change this. As for the footballers, Malaysia have the same set of losers too, just wearing differenet shirts...hahahaha

18. TOP-ACE

TOP-ACE Regular Member

The line call happened in game two only...and it won by Lin Dan,Third game
    Lin Dan have a good start and lead my 8-1 b4 Change court,it was Lin Dan
    sudden change of play that course him,he seems to be under presure
    when LCW catch-up so much...This type of presure if cannot block will
    course you fatal.This was what happened,the sudden drop of "Form"
    also the major course,no the line call...it is the redeculous excuse.
    I am a Singaporean and i watch the game live by pay-tv.Nothing Bias,
    i report only the truth.Lee Chong Wei playing a very-very skillful game
    tonight.

19. ckloo

ckloo Regular Member

Yup me too agree with u man...its unfair to say that the linesmen have set the outcome of the game.Its not easy to beat LD and for me both of them are damn good(maybe LD is a bit more consistent).Ony the last 3 minutes(maybe 5 hehehe..) when LD suddenly lost focus on the game,it gave CW the chance to dominant the game.After all, its a nice game.Btw, please take note that linesmen are also human...they make mistakes and dont u all agree that its hard to judge the shuttle bcos those who are smashing were LCW and LD(world num 4 and 1 man)....damn fast lar...how to judge correctly...muakakaka :D
    Bravo to both of the men!!!!

20. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    Right on! GO KAMPUNG CHAMP!!!!! hehehe
    Taufik has great deception overhead! Now LCW has his trademark! Deception forehand!!