Malaysia Open Grand Final

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2005 / Malaysia Open 2005' started by sunzhi, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Badmincraze

Badmincraze Regular Member

Agree totally that Msian Organisers shld learn from Aviva Open n also upcoming WCs to make next yr's event better... At least, haf LIVE SCORING pls... ... :D

2. wooncc

wooncc Regular Member

I respect Lee Chong Wei!

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    He still have a long way to go. This was his best performance.. but we can expect better performance from him next time.

4. wooncc

wooncc Regular Member

yeah, u r right

when u saw LCW play, he definitely improve a lot than b4
    Li Mao really a good coach

5. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    My thinking

I think the tournament to learn from is All England, not Singapore Open as the camera angle is still pretty steep for Singapore Open. At least Malaysia Open has nice camera angle which makes the matches much more exciting to watch? As for the line judges controversy, IBF should adopt new technology to overturn obvious mistake like NBA and NFL are doing.
    Singapore and Malaysia Opens did provide some fresh idea, Lin Dan is beatable so is Taufik and all this complication can only create more suspense on the coming World Championship, good for badminton. Now, it's the job of fans in US and Canada to fill out the Arrowhead Pond stadium in Anaheim so it doesn't look like another Athen's Olympic.
    Malaysia Boleh.
    Han

6. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Instead of congratulating Lee CW and giving him his due, you harp about other things and try to bring this achievement down. That to me, is more disappointing.

Imagine China winning 80% of all titles this year, would badminton go the way of Formula 1?

SO was well organised, it had more money poured into it. If Ronald had won, I think you would be very happy as well. If you wanna pick on small things, there are a thousand ways.

Actually, maybe SBA should consider pouring the money to look and groom for local talent. That is the long term solution.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

The Danes(Eriksen and Hansen) figured it out in the last SO, when they played Cai/Fu in the QF and beat them in straight sets...And now Candra/Sigit..The pair of Candra/Sigit is still the best current Indo pair, IMO-Luluk/Alven are still inconsistent, esp. Luluk..
    This could be a preview of the SF or Finals of the World Championships,
    but I do expect either of the Danes top pairs to play in the upcoming WC Finals though..

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

They are currently #4 in the world now, should go up to either #2 or #3 after this MO..
    Here's hoping the can get some rest and prepare well, in the next month or so, for the upcoming WC-a lot of Indonesians in the U.S. will be waiting and cheering for them here...:).

9. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Well said Han, I support your reasoning. I think people should stop saying "mine is better than yours" all the time, it is for people to judge that themselves. I have had enough about this talk about who can stage a better tournament, for those who continue griping, go do something to occupy your time. Go play World of Warcraft or something.... :p, and wait for the biggie in LA.

Remember, not saying you are better all the time means you are secure in your capabilities.

#429 wl2172, Jul 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  10. harrycoomer

harrycoomer Regular Member

LCW vs Taufik

I saw Taufik at the Singapore Open and at the Malaysian Open. In Singapore Taufik was awesome. The Chinese did not know what hit them. Against LCW Taufik was insipid at best. Most of his clears were short and LCW killed them. It was almost as if Taufik was fulfilling his wish of winning one of the two tournaments and telling LCW, I cleared the way as much as I could, this one is yours, bro. Taking nothing away from LCW (coming back from a 10-1 deficit to win is awesome), Taufik going down 15-0 is an oxymoron.

11. legendarycroc

legendarycroc Regular Member

school
    if you ask me.. one of the pictures of LIn DAn and his coach makes it look like he held back against leeCW...

12. harrycoomer

harrycoomer Regular Member

From watching the game live..

It looked like Lin Dan was trying to slow the pace in the second game after LCW's comeback from 10-1 in the first. Watching LCW feeding off the home crowd, it did seem like the right tactic. Whether his coach told him that I couldnt tell. However Lin Dan's cross court smash when he was receiving serve at 14-9 down matchpoint seemed rather unusual. The biride was inches wide. I would have thought he would want to play high percentage shots to regain the serve.

13. krantikt

krantikt Regular Member

harrycoomer, you seem to be from the bayarea, how did you watch all these games live ?

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

They will be no 2, just below Eriksen/Hansen. Luluk/Alven will be 3rd and Paaske/Rasmusen will be 4th.

Lucky for u guys....here...not even any coverage for badminton on cable tv. They are screening the women volleyball world championships or something like that in the past 2 weeks....grr.....

15. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i couldnt stay up to follow the MS final last nite:( (found out PPLive too late :crying: )
    anyway, after reading all the above comments,it reinforces my previous statement(from another thread) that the chinese in general is weaker in the mental department. Both LD and LCW are fast and attacking players, neither one own the speed department. The winning edge here was mental focus and toughness, which LCW has 2 things going for him 1. LCW inheritance mental advantage over LD 2. Extra positive home crowd energy to LCW. Yes, a few bad line calls shouldnt affect the outcome as it's only 1 or 2 points but the effect on the mental factor is huge, and LD isn't strong in this dept. Even I when playing against a player who cheat or make obvious bad line calls, it bugs me not just because i'm angry, to me, i have to adjust my shot during the heated match. If u r trained to hit shots within 2 inches from the lines, bad calls forces me to adjust my shot. Now i have to make shot outside the 2" range from the line but far enough away from the opponent's reach. This can mentally screw up a guy because it just took away LD (or anyone) main killer weapon. When one feel his main weapon is taken away, wouldn't your confidence slide? It's easy to say oh just play harder or play safe shot. Safe shots mean return shot coming back with interest and less predictable. So, it's not only affect concentration, it forces one to change tactic which he wasnt plannning to, at a critical time. Changing tactic and shot accuracy in mid course require a small transition time. If uncall for, the transition time can be long, long enough for the opponent to eat u up.

#436 cooler, Jul 10, 2005
  17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    additon

#437 cooler, Jul 10, 2005
  18. Battousai

Battousai Regular Member

You also have to conceed the fact that LCW was at home and had the crowd support and its much easier to be upbeat and strong mentally when you have cheers and not moans and boos. LD was visably shaken after some calls that went against him but if he were at home the home crowd would cheer him on and lift his spirit. Its all mental at this high level where most players have the skills and it is their focus and mentality that determines outcomes but LD has proven he can win not only on home soil but also numerous other stadiums. If the chinese were so weak mentally then why is the tour dominated by the chinese? I just feel when the chinese win people go "Oh no not another all chinese final" or "ah another typical chinese victory" but when they lose its a mariad of errors on their part. I'm as biased as the next guy but sports is sports and sometimes you have to conceed the fact that sometimes people just plain got outplayed and thats how I view most wins and loses. The other person/team was just better that day. For me more credit goes to the victor than does to the loser for choking.

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

do you or did you know what happened to Taufik, prior to playing against LCW??...whether it was "really" true or not, or Taufik was already satisfied with what he has come for or accomplished, if you haven't followed up, there has been another hotly discussed thread in this forum which talked about another player withdrawing and giving another player a WO...
    Now, if you were in Taufik's shoe, already accomplishing what you want, and facing another "useless" tournament(IMO) in Phillippines next week and then have to prepare for the WC next month, would you go all out??...IMO, it's good he's willing to play his QF match rather than giving a WO...

#439 ctjcad, Jul 10, 2005
  20. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Isn't it reported already that Taufik has a muscule injury in his rib before the game? It's only a month from WC. I was surprised he didn't quit and continue to finish the match. I think he will skip some tournments in between to recover.