Gosen Fan Club

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mikomi, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Moravtchik

Moravtchik Regular Member

Project Manager
    Hi Gosen lovers.
    I'm looking for a new racket and as the original post said "badminton can't all be just Yonex, Victor and Li-ning". I loved the table in the first post but it's from 2015. Any chance there's an updated one with the current models? I stopped playing at 2014 and now just getting back.

Looking for an intermediate level racket, 4u g5, slightly stiff, slightly head heavy, price $100-$150. Anything like that exist in Gosen? Also, any chance of getting it easily in North America? Just feel like it's time to expand my horizons.

If you have any suggestions, I'll be happy to do the searching and reading.

Appreciate your time.
    Leo

2. CanucksFan

CanucksFan Member

The current catalogue is here: https://www.gosen.jp/eng/catalog/2022_GOSEN_CATALOG_kaigai.pdf
    (it contains a table like the one you mentioned from the original post in this thread)
    The website is here: https://www.gosen.jp/eng/products/?ca=1460495459-669447#t45

Gosen seem to be extremely slow at releasing new rackets, so most of those have been around for quite a long time, but even so, some of the previous lineup is still available in a lot of places. It can be confusing though - while the Gravitas 8.5SX seems to be basically a repaint of the 8.0SX with a rubber-coated handle, the 7.5SR (standard frame, 5U) is quite different from the 7.0SR (compact frame, 4U).

pootisfoib and Moravtchik like this.
  3. Moravtchik

Project Manager
    Thanks @CanucksFan . I'll check it out. Any online stores you dealt with before and deliver to the US?

4. CanucksFan

CanucksFan Member

Sorry, I don't know about the US. I wanted a Gravitas 8.0SX, but here in the UK, the only two stores that sell Gosen both charge high-end Yonex money for them, so I considered importing from abroad. https://e78shop.com/collections/gosen-racket (based in Hong Kong) looked to be the cheapest and have the widest range, but by the time I added UK shipping and taxes, it ended up being quite pricey still. I was also put off by the terms of service:
    "e78 shop will make every effort to avoid damage to the goods delivered en-route however all delivery risk is borne by the customer. e78 shop takes no responsibility for any loss caused during the delivery process."

Moravtchik likes this.
  5. Moravtchik

Project Manager
    No worries @CanucksFan , I appreciate the help. Part of the quest for a new racket that's not Yonex, also includes being able to find it and buy it. Yeah, e78's terms of service aren't fun, but with my luck - they don't even have the model I want, though they have plenty of models.

If there are any US/CA based Gosen fans here - please let me know if there are decent stores that carry them.

6. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I haven't purchased from them, but it seems there is a Canadian Gosen store that put up a website recently as far as I know.

https://www.gosencanada.com/

pootisfoib and Moravtchik like this.
  7. Moravtchik

Project Manager
    Thanks @decoy , I found them a couple days ago. Besides some bad HTML, they have rackets but not the one I want :)
    Also reached out to an authorized reseller in Australia, told me the one I want (Inferno Plus) was discontinued. My luck.

8. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Anyone here can compare the build quality between Gosen vs Mizuno? Or to be more specific between Gravitas vs Fortius? Is there any Japan-made Gosen racket like Altius and Fortius for Mizuno?

9. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    IMG_0073.jpeg IMG_0068.jpeg I wanted to get the NF1000Z but it was out stock in the stores I usually buy from. Saw the G8SX at great price and pulled the gun, since I was looking for a new compact frame. Looks decent with a matte grey base with decals, only nitpick would be the empty and dull looking T joint as I am used to a logo on it by now as many of us are.

IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0070.jpeg
    IMG_0072.jpeg

Initial impressions are a head heavy but a surprisingly fast frame, felt faster than the 88D but slower than Kalkul A3. I will save any further comments after my session tomorrow
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0076.jpeg IMG_0074.jpeg
    Edit: All racquets are 4U
    The racquet is not in my usual grip set up i.e. remove the og grip, tape the handle and a single layer of overgrip. Might feel more head heavier after that.
    Edit 2, with the factory grip removed the balance feels even more towards the head, therefore slower than the 88D OG

#629 Vivek Bagadhi, Aug 26, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
    yenyesoh likes this.
  10. Frosty

Frosty Regular Member

Nice racket.

My own experience with this racket :
    Sweet spot is slightly higher than usual due to the frame shape.
    Head heavy feel holding it but not noticeable when playing.
    Personally due to my poor control, I lean towards rackets which I can get a better sense of the racket head during the swing. I suffered quick string breaking twice due to mishits way out of the sweet spot.
    While the racket head is one with box frame, personally it did not give me the level of beefiness/solidness that I was looking for.
    On to the positive side, it's a very nice racket ( easy to maneuver with good power ceiling ) and good for value.

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  11. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    I agree, I saw a great deal on it for inr ₹8700(106$) and just couldnt resist.
    With my setup the bp is around 330mm. Feels pretty head heavy and seems to be more suited as a singles racquet. Doing snappy wrist and finger movement feels like I could hurt them anytime ( playing after a long 2 yr gap so I am not upto my previous fitness levels), hence requires some training to build up strength, to use this in doubles.