Copenhagen Masters 2004

Discussion in 'Copenhagen Masters 2004' started by yvonneak, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
  2. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

But the first group .. [taufik , peter and choong hann] ... it's the same than in 2003 (o_O) ...
    Why they do that?Maybe to Give another chance to peter gade?? and can anyone tell me how they choose all player??, if i had to invite some players it will be :

Bao chunlai
    peter gade
    taufik hidayat
    ronald susilo
    boonsak polsana
    Lin dan

i think those players deserve to take part to this event =))

Ps : Sorry if it's a bit Off topic =')

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, OK, my mistake...I must've misread it from somewhere..But after reading from another thread on Copenhagen Masters, why do they invite, "washed up" players(sorry to some of their fans in here, ie. Xia XuanZe, WongChoonHan, Flandi/EngHian)??????..I mean, those folks don't even belong in there..I agree with SyaoranStyle, this i don't understand..
    Unless of course, they(Denmark) want to generate extra money for entertainment purposes for end of year event... :confused:
    And if indeed it is for entertainment purposes, then I hope Taufik *won't* go all-out, in case he injures himself, esp. right after a grueling tourney...Then he has to prepare himself for the Korean Open in January next year...:p

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there are 6 entries in each event and way more than 6 eligible players/players in the world to play in each entry. futhermore, since this is a Danish invitational tournament, it is understandable to have two local players/pair occupying 2 of the 6 spots. i don't think any choice will be perfect in everybody's eyes.

the choices of Wong/Lee/Xia/Taufik is not a bad one. and putting Taufik in the same group as Peter isn't letting Peter any air either as Taufik is the one who beat him in the Olympics and he just came back from defeating Lin Dan in the IO.

5. A fan

A fan Regular Member

Engineer
    here are the double palyers:

Group 1: Eriksen/Lundgard; Sang/Zheng; Archer/Blair

Group 2: Paaske/Rasmussen; Hian/Limpele; Tan Bin Shen/Ong Soon Hock(MAS)

Here is the URL for the english version of the CM website:
    http://www.badminton.dk/default.asp?pageid=373

6. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Men' Singles Group 1
    Peter Gade (DEN) WR 2,
    head to head vs Taufik 6-2, vs Choong 9-6
    Taufik Hidayat (INA) Wr 6,
    head to head vs Peter 2-6, vs Choong 3-4
    Choong Hann Wong (MAS) WR 17,
    head to head vs Peter 6-9, vs Taufik 4-3

Mens Singles Group 2
    Kenneth Jonassen (DEN) WR 3,
    head to head vs Xuanze 1-2, vs Choong 2-2
    Xuanze Xia (CHN) WR 9,
    head to head vs Kenneth 2-1, vs Choong 2-0
    Chong Wei Lee (MAS) WR 8
    head to head vs Kenneth 2-2, vs Xunaze 0-2

Men's Doubles Group 1
    Jens Eriksen / Martin Lundgaard (DEN) WR 1,
    head to head vs Yang and Bo 4-3, vs Simon and Robert 0-0
    Yang Sang /Bo Zheng (CHN) WR 6,
    head to head vs Jens and Martin 3-4, vs Simon and Robert 0-0
    Simon Archer / Robert Blair (ENG) WR 24,
    head to head vs Jens and Martin 0-0, vs Yang and Bo 0-0

Men 's Doubles Group 2
    Lars Paaske / Jonas Rasmussen (DEN) WR 2,
    head to head vs Eng and Flandy 1-3, vs Bin and Soon 0-0
    Eng Hian / Flandy Limpele (INA) WR 5,
    head to head vs Lars and Jonas 3-1, vs Bin and Soon 2-0
    Bin Shen Tan / Soon Hock Ong (MAS) WR 33,
    head to head vs Lars and Jonas 0-0, vs Eng Hian 0-0

Mixed Doubles
    Qiqiu Chen/ TingTing Zhao (CHN) WR 3
    vs
    Jens Eriksen / Mette Schjoldager WR 2,
    head to head Jens and Mette 3-1

Cartsen Mogensen / Rikke Olsen (DEN) WR 39
    vs
    Nathan Robertson / Gail Emms (ENG) WR 1
    head to head 0-0

#46 jump_smash, Dec 21, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  7. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    mmmm, do you think taufik will go all-out or play lazyly(not motivated), or playing good but not his best becos he doesnt want to be tired since he will be participating in 6* gp event in january(if)

8. *GaDe~CaMiLlA*

*GaDe~CaMiLlA* Regular Member

Student, Multimedia Designer
    don't have women's singles???who will win this year..............

my predictions

men's singles-JONASSEN Kenneth OR HIDAYAT Taufik
    men's doubles-PAASKE Lars/RASMUSSEN Jonas
    mixed doubles-ERIKSEN Jens/SCHJOLDAGER Mette :p

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Kwun,
    I understand where you're coming from, but not to sound "careless" or what, but IMHO sorry this event looks looks like for a year-end entertainment purposes *only* for the Danes. I mean look at the participants, at least there is minimum 1 Danes in there in the 3 events, and there are no WS or WD??. I know this past summer a lot of top players retired (ie. Kim and Ra from Korea to name a few,Lee/Yoo) but, the players posted by 'Jump Smash' are not 'world-beaters' or at least half of them haven't won any tourneys the last 6 monhs or they're on their farewell tour. And probably a few of them will be retiring very2 shortly(ie. Eng/Flandy, they're really washed up, and probably WCH. Peter is nearing his either).
    Anyway, i just hope none of the younger, up-and-coming players injured themselves in this event. And I hope each one of those "guest" players get some "gifts"/compensation for traveling far away just to entertain the Danish crowd...Hey, i guess that's why they called it "Cop...Mas..Invitation"...or maybe a more appropriate name for this event should be "Flandy/Eng Hian and friends farewell tournament"... :rolleyes:

10. johnps

johnps Regular Member

It will be tough going for both the Malaysian singles players (Lee CW & Wong CH) because the schedule of play does not favour them. Both have to play twice on the first day of the tournament.

11. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Unless we all forget, this is just an invitational tournament, not a world championship or something.

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Apparently from another website's article, I found out that some sources indicated that if Taufik is going to go to CMI(Denmark), he would *ONLY* go with Eng Hian/Flandy instead of others(ie. Sigit/Candra or Alven/Luluk)..For some reason he is close-friend with Flandy..I hope this is not true, as Eng Hian/Flandy themselves never knew about it until the last minute...Interesting..

13. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Why the sour grapes? It's an invitational. That means it's basically a performance tournament. It IS entertainment for the Danish audience. Players play for money or fun or the experience, not for ranking points.

14. jason_kidd

jason_kidd Regular Member

why no candra/sigit...

:confused: ....why they not invited...?? so sad.... :confused: :(

15. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

I think that's because they choose their players long time before the event, because last year i ask hongyan what will be her next tournament (it was in october) and she told that she will play in the C.M, so i guess she knew that maybe 4 or 5 months ago , and candra and sigit played their first tournament (of the year lol) in november at the China Open 2004

^^....SyAoRaN....^^

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Syaoran,
    not so much sour grapes. The reason i'm not too giddy about this tourney, esp. since Taufik will be joining is because of the "quality" of players that is attending and the travel distance they will be traveling. I mean, if the Danes want to put out their "top players"(ie. Queen Camilla Martin, who made a smart decision not to join) to do an exhibition in front of their home crowds, then that would be fine and dandy, plus they'll be playing at home anyway so they don't have to travel. I realize most of the players who are coming are still relatively young, but the others, who have to *sacrifice* their family and travel overseas at the end of the year where they could've used the time to relax and enjoy with family??? Another factor is, what if for some, gud forbid, freakish accident a younger and up-n-coming players get a serious injury, would the organizer and fans be responsible??Again, esp. as you said it, it's *ONLY* 'an invitational', 'a performace tournament, 'it's entertainment for the Danes audience' etc2..*NOT* for 'ranking points', 'gp title' etc2.. :confused:
    Sorry I might sound a bit "biased" here esp. for Taufik Hidayat. Where is the top Chinese players??Korean players??Malaysian players??..I just hope none of them gets seriously injured..
    But then again, the decision to send the players are in the national's organization hand and the lure of the money is always there, and at least from what i know, *all* the guest players will be compensated for, plus they'll be getting some money just to show up. Eventhough not much, I believe the total prize money is 320,000.00 DKK(Denmark Kroner) = $58,215.44 USD

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Reason why Candra/Sigit not going is, from what i read and know, the Indonesian badminton organization weren't decided until last minute. And even then, there were sources(reliable or not) which indicated that Taufik *only* wanted Flandy/Eng Hian to come along, not other daubles pair. They said he's a close buddy-buddy with Flandy.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think players are allowed to decline if they want to. and that's probably why we don't see the top players from China. both Lin and ChenH have Xie and Gao Ling whom they'd prefer to spend the winter with.

this is an invitational and not a compulsory tournament. if they personally think the prize money and travel incentive, and able to spend a couple of days in Denmark is worth whatever risk and sacrifice they have, then they should go.

afterall, they are professionals, they don't get paid by ranking points (at least most don't) but instead they get paid by prize money. if they chooses not to go to these invitationals, they are losing chance of getting more income. injury or not is a risk that they need to take everyday.

if you are looking at the injury point of view, it is a no risk no gain situation. every tournament and training session they are risking injury, they still have to do it coz that's how they improve and earn their income.

19. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    jason kidd, the reason candra and sigit not being sent is, according to an indonesian article, becos compared to candra/sigit and alven/luluk, flandy/eng was the most inconsistent, so they decided to send flandy/eng instead, in order to improve their performance, and also some say that taufik is close to flandy, and kinda hesitating to go without him

20. komodo dragon

komodo dragon Regular Member

i'm not sure why ppl are saying negative things about the tournament or the players. This is a great tourament for the players and the fans because only very good players are attending so fans don't need to sit through usually boring matches between "Qualifier" and "Superstar" The players are all very good, and its a big insult to call them wash-out. Most or all the players are in ranked in the top 20 in the world, and even WCH and XXZ have a good chance of winning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.