Copenhagen Masters 2004

Discussion in 'Copenhagen Masters 2004' started by yvonneak, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johansen

Johansen Regular Member

2. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Ahh, beat me to it ;)

#82 ploppers, Dec 27, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  3. Johansen

Johansen Regular Member

I am watching the macthes live on tv :)

Johansen
    www.badminton-nyt.dk

4. Johansen

Johansen Regular Member

5. Morten

Morten Regular Member

CTJCAD look at the world ranking of these players thats enough and when watching the matches on television specially Wong-Gade you can see that these players are not washed out. Wong made light work out of Taufik and perhaps it was not taufik at his best but Wong was superb and the Gade-Wong match is supreme...

6. Johansen

Johansen Regular Member

Peter Gade - Wong Choong Han 13/15, 15/10 and going for third set

Johansen
    www.badminton-nyt.dk

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Sounds like a good game WCH/Gade.

Keep this thread about the results please, They are all either top players of NOW, or players who are up and coming. As also correctly stated this tournament is about entertainment and exposure, not only winning.

BTW are you sure it is Simon Archer/Robert Blair? I think Archer is now playing with Anthony clark, and Nathan robertson who is playing with Blair?

8. Johansen

Johansen Regular Member

9. Johansen

Johansen Regular Member

Yes - it is Simon Archer/Robert Blair.

Johansen
    www.badminton-nyt.dk

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

?!?!..where are my recent posts???...what happened to them??got deleted??for what reason(s)???..

morten, i know what rank the players are as i posted the world rankings of each players(as of this year)..however it will change next year cos several players will no longer play(due to retirement)..

11. Morten

Morten Regular Member

Who will retire?? They will all enter the world championship in August next year except Xia perhaps... so your arguments are of no value. Try to accept that these players are chosen by their own country to play in this tournament as it is an invited tournament. It's tournaments like these ones who keep badminton interesting as it shows sportsmanship because the players dont play for ranking points neither the money. Except Lin Dan these 6 single players almost reaches the quarter finals in every grand prix tournament they enters and among them are the olympic champion, the worldchampion and runner up.... :cool:

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Ehhhhhhhhhmm, let's see Kim/Ha??Kim/Ra??Camilla Martin??Halim Haryanto??And maybe a few others I don't know : R-E-T-I-R-I-N-G...And to a certain extent Flandi/Eng Hian is just "forcing themselves to play", i don't think they really belong in there anymore with the "top/young players"..
    "They will all enter the world championship in August next year except Xia"??......*All* of them will??*All* as in who??...Xia is a WC from last year, and he has fallen fast this past year IMO as well as others-did you see his record in tournaments this year???Plus he's younger than Gade/Choong Hann..The only players worth watching IMO are Taufik, Jonassen and maybe LeeCW and Gade(Gade is only superior in tournaments which doesn't involve top Asian MS players)..There are other players better than the rest of the field (ie. Ronald Susilo, BaoCL, ChenHong, SonyKuncoro, ShonSM,Boonsak)..How about the MDs and MXDs???Where are the top Asian players??...I accept that the players are chosen by their own country, bu I think the players' agreement also has *a lot* to do with them going-even if they are chosen by their own country(ie. why Indo only send Flandy/EngHian not Sigit/Candra or Luluk/Alven or why ChenHong, Lin Dan or BaoCL didn't go??)..
    "It's tournaments like these ones who keep badminton interesting as it shows sportsmanship because the players dont play for ranking points neither the money"..Yeeah, tell that to Flandy/Eng Hian and maybe a few others..Woohoo, can't wait til next year's Copenhagen Masters again.. ;)

13. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    So some players may need to play 2 matches in 1 day :eek: . Is it normal in major tournments? It will be tough.

14. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    It's interesting people are arguing about the qualiity of this tournment. It's like Hong Kong is having a soccer tournment celebrating Chinese New Years, and for example, they invited, China, Argentina and England. Then people started arguing why not Korea, Brazil and France because they are better. Don't forget it's an invitational tournment. The organizer needs to care how to get more Danish to buy tickets. :)

#94 Qidong, Dec 27, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  15. Morten

Morten Regular Member

Camilla has retired and Kim/ha are not participating.. but there's others... Gade has beaten Bao, always beats Chen Hong and Shon.. His score against Sony is even so on that point you´re right.. But today I watched the matches and Taufik was outplayed by Wong so the "old" ones is worth watching and in MX the english silver medalist are playing and the danish winners in danish open plus the runner up and currently 3rd ranked chinese pair.. the MX double is high class pairs and the fourth pair Rikke Olsen/Carsten Mogensen is also worth looking at.. Rikke was together with our own Jonas the one to beat Kim/ra at the olympics.. In MD Jens and Martin are currently the best in the world. AE champion, 4th at the olympics and a lot of semifinals and finals in the grand prix events.. Zheng/sang are also good and a upcoming pair.. and perhaps you're right that the MD is not that strong with an english pair and a young malaysian pair but the countrys has chosen the players so the danes cant just get anyone to play in Copenhagen Masters... I cant understand your points, it seems you haven't watched the games today and because of that don't know the high level the players are providing us with...You need to watch more matches to maintain your hypothesis

16. Morten

Morten Regular Member

hey Qidong.. yes 2nd and 3rd round will sometimes be played the same day.. but from the quarter finals and further on there will only be one match in each catagory

17. Johnny

Johnny Regular Member

Programmer
    That's more or less true.
    Neither of these are participating though...

Can't agree that Susilo, Shon and Boonsak are better players than Wong, Taufik, Xia and Wei. But that's a matter open for discussion I guess. ;)

Over and out.

18. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Be happy

Every match plays on Copenhagen Master is pretty high quality, that's all we can ask from invitation tournament. Copenhagen Master is the only one that still survive thus far, the Ipoh Master only lasted a year due to lack of fund? Wihtout the Grand Prix Final(no sponsor), we all should be content with Copenhagen Master!

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Exactly!!!Your example is quite close..Your last sentence basically tell the whole "purpose". This Copenhagen Masters is basically designed and sponsored wholly for the Danish people pure enjoyment & entertainment, nothing more nothing less...That's why I personally, in this argument don't take this kind of events "seriously"-I don't know why some athletes do either....Other than of course, the MONEY factor... :rolleyes:

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Well, you're basically acknowledging my points that next year's world ranking will reflect differently than this year's and there aren't many top players involve..Again, I don't know about you or anyone, but personally I can't take this kinds of matches in this type of events and make a formula out of it..Sorry, but after following 2 week's ago Indonesian Open tourney, personally i don't really care about who's playing who and who's beating who in this event, it's an Invitation tourney-why should I bother about this event when everyone here basically agree nothing is "at stake" or "gain"..
    "I cant understand your points, it seems you haven't watched the games today and because of that don't know the high level the players are providing us with...You need to watch more matches to maintain your hypothesis"
    I don't mind if you don't understand my points. Yes, I haven't been watching the matches, how can I??I live in the U.S.:p.Plus I don't really need to watch those matches to know what type of high level players are providing, as I've seen enough myself(ie. recent Olympics, watched the last 4 U.S. Open tournaments live, yes seen Gade played here vs. Rasmussen in 2001 and won the tourney)..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.