Chen’s comeback bad for China, says coach Yongbo

Discussion in 'Asian Continental Championships 2007' started by Dimplex, Apr 13, 2007.

1. FU4EVA

FU4EVA New Member

student
    I totally agree with Shifty. I think other countries must train harder to beat China. And not blaming China for being so great with various lame excuses.

2. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Perhaps this is too simplistic a view, in the world of sports today, we do see many "match-fixing" going on at world stage, where player/team purposely lost to another player/team so that they could avoid a tough opponent in the next round etc. Some may call it strategy, but to me, this is no difference to any match fixing. To some the desire to win at all cost and be number one do someimtes (and often) override moral standard and cloud sound judgement, this can happen to anyone and not only because of political or ideaology preference.

3. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    population, IMHO, is just an added bonus. i think passion for the sport is what breeds champions. just as all brazilian kids grew up playing football and eventually some became world class players. i think badminton is like that to the chinese. they have passion for the game. and the ability to be really good at it. being a big country is just a bonus really. malaysian youths love badminton too. but here we have too few coaching on the junior level. kids sometimes grew up with the wrong skills. in china they start real young. making sure their foundation is strong. and strong foundation makes them good players. and all these good players have the urge to be better because they have so much competition and they need to be the best to be a top player in china first before they even get to be a world contender. so china deserved it. all the hard work. i hope malaysia will see this and take the good. like making sure our youths really have the opportunity to have better foundation like what they are doing now with sports school. KKK and TBH is a result of this. plus KKK and TBH have good coaches when they were younger so their foundation was already good then. and may the other countries make badminton more exciting by posing a bigger threat to china's dominance. chen hong should be given the chance to play for himself since the china team could not give him the opportunity to play the tournaments that he wants to. why pull down a good player just to cover your chosen players? if he wins, he wins it for china. the pride is still there.

#83 azabaz_ipoh, Apr 15, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  4. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Now you are making good sense of remarks as compared to the previous reply. It doesnt matter if other countries (be it Msia, Indo or Denmark) pushing to the edge trying to beat the PRCs, all players must respect the game and play their heart out in the finals.

Yes, if LYB is a couch in a democratic country, I'm sure this thing wont happen. Again, there's no reason to argue if he did or did not "unofficially" pull his player off from final and concede a W.O. We are humans, therefore, we have brain to analyse and think. Pls dun insult human beings :rolleyes:

5. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

If U read my previous posts, NEVER did I blame the might Great Wall for their dominance in the world of badminton. In fact, I'd glad that I was able to watch few great players such as Zhao, YangYang, mighty LD, etc... They are simply genius, to put it this way :=)

But no thanks to conceding W.O or match fixing. That's disgraceful to the great game of Badminton and disrespectful to ardent fans.

6. angelatby

angelatby Regular Member

Architect Assistant, Piano Teacher
    If you want to do analysis, then do it from Jimbo's 1st POST, sorry i just couldnt stand, that you totally misunderstanding Jimno's meaning. What Jimbo's trying to say is about the spectators right in seeing the real competition, from audience point of view. Jimbo didnt say that China cannot win or giving excuses that they win is because they dont deserve. Dont make this thread as if who is siding who, alright. And stick back to the topic !

7. angelatby

angelatby Regular Member

Architect Assistant, Piano Teacher
    Story began like this : LYB is the one who started this issue, as he told media about his dissatisfaction about Chen Hong who resume playing badminton after an official retirement. Get this clear we shall go further.

In LYB point of view : Chen Hong should stay put on, since he still has the ability to contribute for China. He quoted, by self-sponsored and all winning goes to CH alone is NOT a good news to China.

Assumption made :

(a) Outsiders will think the offer (prize money) from China to their players NOT sufficient, therefore CH play as a free-agent is to pocket in all the winnings.
    (b) No honesty between player and coach, where players will ingest this kind of postiche attitude in the future.
    (c) Chen Hong did not give enough explicandum regarding his leaving, therefore LYB making a big fuss.

LYB's misapprehension :

(a) No black and white stated that CH shall not play out of national team after retirement.
    (b) Giving a better offer (optional), mutual understanding of the real reason behind CH's leaving (it is obvious LYB couldnt understand why CH still playing but not for own team isnt)

The most important i feel is although Chen Hong no longer playing for own team, but his Winning still mean he wins for CHINA. Dissatisfaction is due to no proper agreement. End.

8. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Thanks Angela. Human beings are strange coz they read/listen to what they love/like, and reject the rest. In this case, I was mistakenly quoted by some people for claiming that PRC's dominance had caused unfairness to the game and the PRC's population is the cause of their dominance. Gosh... these people need to polish up their analytical thinking or reading skills.

yes, back to topic. I wonder, after Chen Hong, will there be another PRC player playing under Victor banner instead of PRC? I'm very concerned who are ChenHong's sparring partners and the quality of training without the official PRC team. IMHO, ChenHong is still a very sharp and tactically good player, esp his overhead jumping smashes. phew... very powerful...

9. dannyang

dannyang Regular Member

Yes, if LYB is a couch in a democratic country, I'm sure this thing wont happen. Again, there's no reason to argue if he did or did not "unofficially" pull his player off from final and concede a W.O. We are humans, therefore, we have brain to analyse and think. Pls dun insult human beings :rolleyes:

:mad: :mad:
    it happend to italian soccer teams.
    perhaps italy is not a democratic country in ur opion

10. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    ATP style

I guess Badminton is moving towards Tennis style of profesionalism. Is just matter of time before this happen as the world Globalis... TOday Chen Hong might look like a villian to the chinese but someday he might be look at as a revolutionist...

11. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Hmm.... it seems we are shifting from Badminton to Soccer then match-fixing. I'm not a huge soccer fan, but if I'm not mistaken, Juventus and AC Milan were either fined or regulated or deducted points (not too sure...)

It's amazing how human beings love to dig a bone within a fish. Nothing wrong with that, just that we need to focus on the issue discussed instead of shifting the focus. Anyway, good to know that u are a Seria A fan.

Anyway, we are talking about W.O in the all PRCs men single finals and as far as LYB is concerned (He is the top chief), he is responsible to answer to the specatators and the beautiful game itself.

12. dannyang

dannyang Regular Member

ChenHong is still training with the official PRC team (province, instead of nation).

13. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Thanks for the info. If he qualifies for the 2008 Olympics, is he eligible to play? If yes, will he represent China? If yes, does it mean one of the three slots for PRC is taken up by ChenHong?

I really hope he can make it to the Olympics coz he is still a great competitor. But I wanna Taufik to win... hehe (just kidding)

14. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    every1 almost forget about Olympic.. but I guess PRC can choose their representative... then CH is out.. but at least he makes more $$$$.

15. dannyang

dannyang Regular Member

CY withdrew in GO due to injury. His performance in AE make injury more seriously.
    this is the reason for his withdrawl from ABC.

LYB is concerned with his players' health. he is a xxx (you can imagine any word here) if he forced injured CY to continue to play in final.

16. dannyang

dannyang Regular Member

According to LYB, CH can make it to the Olymics if CH get enough qualifying points. (but it's up to LYB, isn't it). CH claimed many times that he will represent China for at least 3 years.

17. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Coolz. Yes, I doubt LYB will allow CH to play in Olympics coz one of the three slots will be taken up by CH. I noticed that he has a coach (but not wearing Victor shirt), and I wonder who he is. Anyway, good to know that CH will play for another 3 yrs.

18. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

From a player's point of view, I feel for CH. He is still a player to reckon with. But such is the state in the field of sports in China - survival of the fittest. There are simply too few places for too many talents. That's why the athletes in China called it a day much earlier than others.
    On the other hand, I emphatise with the China Association & coaches. Whowever you choose to represent the country, there will always be some players who have to be sacrificed along the way. In short it's a thankless job. But I do think at high competition level, they have to put the nation's interest first. Look at the women's dept., they still retain Zhang Ning for the simple reason that the younger players are not able to beat her convincingly match after match. Just my views.

19. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

From a player's point of view, I feel for CH. He is still a player to reckon with. But such is the state in the field of sports in China - survival of the fittest. There are simply too few places for too many talents. That's why the athletes in China called it a day much earlier than others.
    On the other hand, I emphatise with the China Association & coaches. Whowever you choose to represent the country, there will always be some players who have to be sacrificed along the way. In short it's a thankless job. But I do think at high competition level, they have to put the nation's interest first. Look at the women's dept., they still retain Zhang Ning for the simple reason that the younger players are not able to beat her convincingly match after match. Just my views.

20. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i think CH can play for whoever he wants to, just that he won't last long.