Chen’s comeback bad for China, says coach Yongbo

Discussion in 'Asian Continental Championships 2007' started by Dimplex, Apr 13, 2007.

1. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    be a badminton fan, dont be a fan of players. Being the latter will sometimes cloud your mind and say wrong things even without you yourself knowing it.......

2. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

okay.. let's just say this, TH has defeated BCL numerous times recently... 2004.. umm.. for me, i doesn't seem to be 'recent'

3. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Th - Bcl

BCL has beaten TH 3 times, but starting from 2006, it seems TH really knows how to beat BCL.

4. laonong

laonong Regular Member

"da3" means play here not hit or break. How can his players hit or break LCW's leg. His player could be arrested if they did that

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think this thread is about CH and LYB, not BCL Vs TH.

Anyhow, Yes CH is ageing, and unlikely to be huge threat to CHN MS in long term (also see below) I think LYB is upset for three reasons:

1.Yes LYB will want any China successes to be associated with him, but this is secondary, CH was produced by team china under LYB regime, so this is not much of an issue IMHO

2.LYB will not want CH to have too much success and fame, as it will encourage other talented players to possibly leave national team and be indepedent. This is very different from Pi/Xu/Wang Chen where they moved to represent another country, as CH still rpersents China, but as indepedent.

3. CH claims he is to retire as dropped from national team and this has been agreed, then CH announces to come back. LYB may feel CH tricked him into allowing him to retire.

However CH would be upset that although he is comfortably a top 5 player and an equal, if not better than other compatriots at the moment he has been told un equivocally he will not play in olympics. This muct hurt. And although CH will know he cannot play olympics as an indepedent (LYB will not select him) he would not have wanted to train under CHN team anymore.

From a playing perspective CH techniques and skills are far exceeding CJ/BCL/LD/CY IMHO. LD is the only player I beleive in CHN team who has an edge against him, as Physically LD's speed and agility can outweigh his technical deficiencies (of which LD has improved).

The age factor is not an issue for me. CH is a tremendous athlete, with efficient movement unlikely to take a heavy toll on his body. OMO CH could play longer than LD/BCL/CY in neccessary. CJ is much younger, but lacks a cutting edge.

6. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Well said...One thing also is that if CH plays as as independent, representing CHN in OLY or WC, he may not obey LYB order to lose at SF, just so as LYB feels the other player may have a better chances of winning the final and to get rested. CH obligation is to his sponsor and himself.

7. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Yes you can try to interpret it that way, all I was saying is, such a usage of "da3duan4" does not sound natural to me at all.

Of course no one will really break LCW's legs, but what we are arguing here is whether it is an strategy instruction, or its main purpose is to disturb LCW. I believe it is the latter.

8. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    so why are all the malaysians getting so upset over it?

how old is CH right now? i think he will really start to drop off soon, because he simply can't keep the same stamina as the younger people, it's a fact of life.

9. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Gade is still going strong albeit not like he used to and hes into his 30's.

10. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    exactly, and he will keep getting worse. Europeans can hold thier fitness better than Asians, so what i'm saying is, even if CH can last past BCL or LD, CJ will have matured by then and Lu Qicheng(who bet Hafiz in ABC) will be coming through. i doubt CH will really do much.

11. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Of coz, U were wrong. What I meant is that LYB unofficially instructed his players to W.O on several men's singles final when PRC vs PRC are involved. I dont need to bring up the case where Chen YU W.O in German Open 2007 (pls correct if my memory serves wrong) against the mighty LD in the final by giving a lame excuse of leg's injuries. The following week, yes, within a week, he fought all the way to the ALL ENGLAND final against the mighty LD again. Of coz, he was no match to LD but obviously the "injuries" did not affect his games at all. I heard that German officials were planning to sue LYB for being unsportmanship and disrespect to the badminton game.

I have no prob with the PRC vs PRC finals coz I just dun watch those games except men singles. And I never doubt their hardwork and determination during the training sessions. It's not a rocket science to understand why PRC is a powerhouse in Badminton where they have virtually 1.3B ppl to choose from.

12. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i find what you say about the 1.3B ppl thing total b*** s***. why's New Zealand world class in rowing? why did we take 4 golds in the world champs in rowing, when we've got 4 MILLION people, against Russia, who's got a population that's hundreds times larger than us, but we beat them with Georgina and Caroline Evers-Swindell. if not, what about the America's Cup, when we face off against a country with 220 Million and still defeat the USA. what about rugby? a 4 million ppl nation dominating the world? defeating england, Aus and SA? it's not a matter of population, if so, it would mean China dominating track events but it's America who does.

it's not a matter of how many people there are, it's a matter of how hard you try, and frankly, the Chinese are the ones who try hardest, and maybe a little respect for thier efforts won't go astray, rather than saying it's a population thing, when it's not, it's about who tries the hardest.

13. cindie

cindie Regular Member

Shifty, I really like you.. :D :p ;)

14. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i just think people should really think about the efforts of Chinese players before critisizing them. after all, i haven't heard anyone stirring up fuss about Taufik walking out of the Hong Kong Open, which can be considered unsportsman by anyone.

15. cindie

cindie Regular Member

I've no comment here as I don't know LYB personally and obviously I don't hear him instructing them, so I don't want to simply say he "unofficially" instructed his players to W.O. :rolleyes:

16. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    that is a down side for badminton as a game, as i'd like to watch a good game, but then again, LYB does have that choice, although he will need to face the consequences. but i guess it's part of tactics, and everyone uses dirty tactics at a stage of thier lives, we all should admit to that :p:rolleyes::eek:

17. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

The population can be a factor, but you're right it's how you use it that really counts. If we're ever to see China's dominance in the sport recede a little then it will be the other countries that will have to step up. It's not like China's going to get worse for eveyone else. With the right amount of focus and dedication other countries can get up there and challenge China. It'll be hard work but it can be done.

18. black_knight006

black_knight006 Regular Member

Work at a pro-shop
    HAHAHAHA...Maybe at that level it doesn't matter but it sure as hell does to the rest of us!:p

19. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

It's OK if u hv no further comment coz most of the replies to my post were refocused to population instead of unsportmanship of LYB. It's ok to shift the attention of the main point here.

Over the history of badminton (for the last 10-15yrs), China has been the powerhouse of Badminton, and with all respects, they deserved it well. I have no problem to see great players like Yang Yang, Zhao Jian Hua, and the recent mighty LD. Without a doubt, they should be in Hall of Fame, if there exists one. During LYB era, I still could enjoyed watching Zhao vs YY in all PRCs final. Gosh, fantastic game I must say.

My concern is very simple: pls respect the spectators (mind U, they paid for the tickets) and the sport, and do not pull the plug if PRC vs PRC (particularly in men singles). I'd be very dissapointed if I hold the seasoned ticket and not able to watch LD vs Chen Yu or BCL or CH.

20. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i guess the other countries have just got to try harder to stop an all china final :) but in all honesty, it is a problem, but one which can't really be fixed cos it's the player's right to withdraw, but if LYB is insisting on it, it's really a fault of communism isn't it? because he would never do it if he came from a democratic country