Victor VS-890 string

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Mark A, Nov 18, 2014.

1. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    This racket deserves an orange vs890.

2. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Only white and green colors were available but as some say, everything happens for a good reason. After 5 more hours today into it, the string has yet to show signs of distress.

I think I found one of the better colors for this string randomly. Lucifer green definitely seems to be the one to go for.

3. shreyas666

Orange and yellow are available in the market.

4. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Not at klajeet sadly! Oh well I ain't complaining. The strings have held 9-10 hours of abuse and not snapped yet. I can see four or five total strands the size less than a hair (1/3rd or so) but that's about it. Today was especially bad because I wasn't playing like usual and actually continuously attacking in a harsh manner. I did notice the tension drop tho and reduction in hardness compared tO when it was fresh off the machine which is to be expected.

I think I'm not really able to use these properly because of the butt I tried on my Z Strike. Might remove grip and butt and put a thin victor overgrip to feel everything for a day ;P

5. shreyas666

You haven't tried 850 and 880 yet?

6. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I have not! This is my very first time actually buying a victor product other than victor grip powder haha

7. shreyas666

What about hitting sound? I got muted metal at 26lbs in an apacs.

swsh likes this.
  8. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Same here. Tapping on it same as tapping on the holding bar made of aluminium in our metros. Quite muted with a slight tinnnnnn.

9. shreyas666

But it isn't as repulsive or controlling as bg80 or bg85. Surface isn't that rough. Quite hairy inside, haven't seen anything as hairy as this one.

10. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    After removal of the butt and installing the babolat mygrip on it with cushion wrap I was finally able to exploit the string fully. Feel is unparalleled. Power is really lacking and I can notice it very often now after changing grips as earlier I just thought it was because of the towel for which I answered with more power of my own.

It still has not snapped after another 4.5 hour session. Tension seems stable now atm. I'd prefer it be about a pound or two higher but I can't push my z strike past 31 for no reason when I get it strung. Wondering if I should go hybrid with Li Ning No.1 / aerosonic / zymax 62 next time around for some more "oomph". Durability seems top notch I've been abusing the heck out of the racket and it seems well even still

vs 890 after few days.jpg

11. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    From 7:30 to 1:30 continuous knocking or matches. Shreyas666 and I met up and played all day practically exchanging rackets with each other. The performance dropped a bit more compared to before so I thought it'd be best to remove it for a fresher feel if I can afford it. Repulsion was still not that good compared to other strings I've tried but for sheer feeling it always won. There was a slight inconsistency with the string which is hard to explain and I'd lose control of my third court to third court shots and they'd land miles out once or twice.

The most important thing I was happy to report back was that there were no signs of fraying after almost a week. So if you're around Delhi or Gurgaon grab a packet of lucifer green 890 and it probably won't snap at high tensions.

For now because I've never tried 85 on a good racket, I'm taking mark a's suggestion of getting that. Wasn't sure what to pick this week and I was really tired to go to sadar or something so when I saw fresh packets of 85 there I thought yeah that's fine let's have that for a week. There were some complaints regarding newer 850 so didn't go for that.

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Well, I've broken my own rule and decided to give it another whirl. Going back down to 30 lb for a while to test some strings for next season and I'm running this one against LN #1 and BG80.

The 890 survived the string job, so it's better than 67% of my previous attempts:p.

swsh, shreyas666 and Ch1k0 like this.
  13. shreyas666

Ns880zti too mark. Those are rated now as control strings.

14. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Any PS? Mine did pretty good at 30x31 5% PS as you have read before so it's probably safe to try :p

15. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Maybe they tweaked the formula. But I remember when this string was still new. They frayed at 31lbs on the machine.. I even saw it break at 33lbs when being pulled.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

16. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Mine was relatively old stock (not super old but december 2015 IIRC)

Given it's ability to take abuse I reckon it would have taken much higher than I threw at it. And perhaps I would have tried as well if it wasn't for the cost of reducing my best racket's frame lifespan :[.

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Never took a shine to 880 - durability wasn't great, and it was nowhere near the BG80 it was trying to match.

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I don't machine PS any more, I just doorknob the slack out of it. Machine PS can take the string past the elastic limit.

19. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Glad you've decided to give this another go. I've just strung two BS12 and one BS11 with this string at 35lb no problems whatsoever. But I have to confess that I have had this string snap after two games before although most of the time they're fine and last at least a few months of play. I like this string so much that I'd rather put up with the very occasional premature break than have Victor try and fix it and and in doing so compromise on other qualities of this string.

One question for you though - there was some speculation a little while ago about Victor strings being rebranded Gosen strings. As I seem to remember you used to use Gosen strings, any idea what the equivalent Gosen string to this might be?

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'm not overly familiar with Gosen's catalogue, but you've reminded me to put the R4X110 on the to-do list:).