Victor VS-890 string

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Mark A, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I've asked about 200 m reels - nothing doing so far.

2. BengGuan

BengGuan Regular Member

Stringer
    I heard from Victor China, depend on market request. If many customer asking for 200 m reels, Victor will provided.

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

That makes sense. I just hope there is demand...

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    After testing this out over a number of weeks, I think it's a touch too hard for my liking. I like that the tension hasn't dropped massively but I don't get the control and feel that I liked with the original VS850. If you like BG80 you will probably like this. It's not quite as hard, but it is noticeably harder than VS850.

Shots are crisper but I just can't get used to the feel for delicate shots at 32lb... Personally I'll be going back to my trusty NBG99.

5. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Right so I just got this done at 29/31 on a SW37. Will try it out on Sunday to see how it goes. But just tapping the string bed on my hand next to BG80 and VS850 tells me that it's gonna sound pretty different. It's got a duller ping to it..almost like a thud..

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Bro, on something flexy like a SW37 you need to put more on. Maybe 33/35 ;)

7. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Nah. I can run the same setup with an ordinary BS12 to no big detrimental effect so it's no big deal and I've always felt the SW37 plays a wee bit stiffer and more like the KRPs I'm so used to.

8. BengGuan

BengGuan Regular Member

Stringer
    recently have strung almost 25 pcs rackets using this string. strung from 25 - 30 lbs. When string at 30 lbs just feel need to slow down my speed because more friction i feel at this tension for pulling the string. More recommended using VS890 compare to VS850, some new stock of VS850 feel more lost tension compared to last batch that i get it.

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I've changed my view a bit on this string having had more time to use it. I'm getting used to the slightly harder feel compared to NBG99 and VS850 and am actually getting decent control from it.

I still think it doesn't quite have the feel of the it's older brother, VS850 but it is one of the most consistent strings I have ever used. The feel is not actually too bad, it isn't as hard as BG80 but the tension hold is amazing. If you want a string to perform largely the same as it did newly strung after a few months and you like thicker stings then this is worth trying.

Because it doesn't lose much tension, I am consistently getting quite good power from this string too. I used to have to cut my NBG99 and restring as I found I was losing power as the tension dropped.

I alternate between a few BSLHI but the one with my first set of VS890 which I use most often is still going strong after almost 5 months. The tension has only dropped marginally and is still very much useable, even by my standards!

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

How come I broke mine so quickly, then?:confused: Only used it at 31!

11. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Well there's not much left to report on this string. I honestly believe that both Mark and R20190 have both covered the string initial impressions and overall review quite well.

It isn't as hard as the benchmark BG80 but it's definitely somewhere between that and VS850. Coating isn't as rough as either string as well but then I find it's better at producing effortless power than either. It really needs an initial week without play to bed in properly though. It's not zymax level of sliding around but it does tend to slide a bit when you hit with a slightly slice or slightly off center. Something that doesn't happen to rough strings like BG80 and NBG99 or VS850 and VS800.

However that's a small price to pay for how well this thing retains tension so far. It dropped as much as VS850 for me and has been holding rock steady to my ears so far. I think I made an excellent choice pairing it with the SW37 as it seems to complement the rackets own spec and properties quite well although the feel isn't as excellent. But that's just another small price to pay IMO.

@Mark_A I don't know if it's the reason your set broke or just because you're a monster but I noticed that the coating on this seems a little bit on the frail side. When I looked at it straight off the machine I noticed a lil bit of fraying already and they were all in random places both touched and untouched by the clamps.

I'm quite satisfied overall with this string so far but I don't think I'll be going away from VS850 for it. It's a good string as far as I can tell but it's a bit too niche to gain any real traction in a market heavily dominated by yonex.

12. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Mark's not that much of a monster.

13. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    he's bad enough haha

14. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    he's like a cute puppy

15. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Hahahahahaha you're mean

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yes - this issue plagues Gosen-OEMed strings. In fact, I think I've pushed my R4X110 too far, so I'm going back to BG80; I can't seem to get a single 32/33 out of it now that doesn't have a fatal defect.

#136 Mark A, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  17. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Actually, that's the only thing that's bothering me with - the otherwise perfect - R4X110. :D

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

A brief necro: VS-890 will now be available on the reel:D.

19. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I wasn't that keen.

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'd need to try it at 34... the Gosen is coping with it now, for some reason.