Victor Carbonsonic - Synthetic Feathers by Victor

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by pcll99, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Victor Europe overpriced? Examples?
    Granted it's no longer at the "I'm the new kid" prices anymore, but isn't it in line with Yonex?

2. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Google searching around the world and it seems this is coming in at £13 to £19 price range.
    Not really released in the UK yet. Makes me wonder if this is more of a PR exercise for Victor. No one would want a box of 6 fake feathers over a decent tube of 12 feathers... unless they last a lot longer. (3+ times at least)

3. Lindon

Lindon Regular Member

What is the difference between no. 1 and no. 2? Is no. 1 worth it, since it's more expensive.

4. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

From what I read. Natural layer cork vs synthetic.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

5. Lindon

Lindon Regular Member

I purchased the Cabonsonic no. 1 yesterday from my favourite place to play badminton, the owner sold it to me for 2 dollars less than the original price. I personally don't think they are worth it, in my opinion it doesn't perform as well as a nylon (plastic) shuttle. It has better durability than Yonex Mavis 350s, but it's around 6 dollars more than them (Canada), but then again, my friends and I do hit pretty hard and these shuttles are pretty hard to get used to, these are the first shuttles that I had difficulties with, i'm fine with any other ones, but not this one. But hey, it's just my personal opinion, I suggest you try it if you really want to. We all have our own opinions, what doesn't work for me might work well with you, and these are my thoughts on the Victor Carbonsonic no. 1.

#165 Lindon, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  6. Lindon

Lindon Regular Member

I have the Victor Carbonsonic no. 1, so i don't know how the no. 2 is like. They actually do last pretty long, they're more durable than nylon (plastic) shuttles, but i don't like the feeling of hitting it, it doesn't feel that good. Lasts about 2× longer than feathers (still depends on how extremely you hit it, and the amount of mishits).

#166 Lindon, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  7. Chranisa

Chranisa Regular Member

Deskpub
    only difference is the cork.
    CS No. 1 - real cork
    CS No. 2 - synthetic cork

adidascanada likes this.
  8. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    So far I've not heard any more on Carbonsonic in the UK. Racketline had some for a while but they are gone and no longer available in store. I'll take this as a negative.

It's unlikely I'll be testing these shuttles unless I'm sent them from Victor Europe. I heard the price was high around £16. This is way too high for a tube of 6 shuttles and I cannot see this as a sensible proposition. If the price was closer to £10 and the shuttle was good then there's a chance they could break through.

My guess is that somebody has not undertaken decent market research. You cannot expect to put your name on a shuttle, especially a new technology and expect it to sell well.

I'm also bothered about the environmental issue here too. Feather shuttles are biodegradable but these shuttles must be disposed of properly. Perhaps more thought is required. Yes, the first company to design and manufacture a decent plastic shuttle that performs like a feather will be onto a potential market domination. However, the issues are widespread and perhaps this is just reaching for the Holy Grail.

I would rather see greater care taken to improve feather shuttle life without significantly increasing prices. Am I still asking for too much?

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Anyone come across any sprays perhaps that could be used on feather shuttles to prolong playing life?

10. Slade

Slade Regular Member

While also not altering flight characteristics. Seems like a difficult task.

11. Slade

Slade Regular Member

If synthetic shuttles lasted significantly longer than feather during play they would be worth the extra cost.
    I bet most feather shuttles get tossed in the garbage, which probably has a plastic garbage bag lining it, so it probably won't actually degrade when sealed in a landfill for many decades. Synthetic could potentially be recycled.

12. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    No, they were not placed in a plastic bag. They were in the main refuse but unbagged.

Paul

13. Slade

Slade Regular Member

I'm not sure that's true for all cases. Certainly around here if something is tossed in a garbage can the can probably has a plastic bag liner.

Potentially both natural and synthetic shuttles could be ground up and reused as filler for something. Certainly something more durable than natural feather should be developed for play.

14. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

I'm just wondering, if quite a lot of people can play with good quality plastic shuttlecocks, why bother with feather? Could it be just all a matter of playing adjustments? I've seen a lot of videos where players of different levels seemingly performing well in their games using quality plastic birdies. A good quality plastic shuttlecock may be similar if not better than a typically affordable feather in terms of performance, and yet maybe more durable and economical. Just my 2 cents.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

I've played with both Mavis 2000 plastics and good quality RSL/Victor feather shuttles and can easily switch between them ... the problem is that this new Carbonsonic shuttle feels and hits like neither, so takes some extra time to adjust and adapt. If the value and quality proposition is not enticing enough, no one wants to spend additional time to adapt to a third type of shuttle...

16. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I feel bad saying that the only time I ever played with plastic shuttles was in the backyard as a kid in the halls it was always feather.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Well, you should feel bad, you shuttle snob you...

Techno likes this.
  18. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    But feather shuttles. Unbeatable.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

For sure... haven't touched plastics myself for some 7 years. Feathers are so much more tactile and effortless to hit. And the crisp crack sound is so addictive especially when hit perfectly right.

20. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Exactly! But I do see the place for a good plastic shuttle tbh. Expensive enough to be durable yet cheap enough to be expendable for getting kids to pick up the basics at least. Once the moves are somewhat there, they can proceed on to feathers for training.

s_mair and visor like this.