Victor Carbonsonic - Synthetic Feathers by Victor

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by pcll99, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    If you use these abominations, you're a sh1tty human being. The fact that shuttles are biodegradable is one of the best things about Badminton.

2. Slade

Slade Regular Member

The worst thing about badminton is the poor durability and expense of feather shuttles. Nothing wrong with trying to improve upon that. Plus plastic could be recycled.

badmintony likes this.
  3. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

All great things started with a single step

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

4. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    The feathers are foam and carbon fiber. They're not recyclable ANYWHERE.

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Let's face it: No matter which shuttles we use, there are always certain disadvantages regarding environmental issues.

1) Feather shuttles:
    Millions of geese and ducks are kept under horrible conditions to have their feathers being plucked out alive (http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...e-feathers-vs-victor-carbo-sonic-no-1.172569/). And let's not forget the amount of chemicals that are needed to bleach the feathers afterwards. On top of that, you have partly artificial cork (aka plastic) in pretty much all shuttles (except highest-end shuttles), and afaik the cords that tie the feathers together are also synthetic fibres. Biodegradable my ass

2) Classic Nylon Shuttles
    Well... mostly made of plastic. As said before, in most industrialized countries the biggest part of the waste (which is disposed correctly and not dumped somewhere illegally) is burned. Burning nylon (aka polyamide) for sure generates significant amounts of nitrous gases which is bad, hands down.

3) Carbonsonics
    Bascially the same as 2) with the difference that it's supposedly polystyrene instead of polyamide which needs to be taken care of. Polystyrene (which can be recycled by the way) is converted mostly into carbon dioxide, water vapor, and heat when it's burned with temperatures at around 1000°C (plus possibly some residual halogen-compounds in case there were flame-retardants used in the base material). CFK materials can be recycled (https://www.compositesworld.com/columns/recycled-carbon-fiber-its-time-has-come-), but I honestly don't expect that this will be done with the small amounts which is used in the shuttles. Would be interesting to know, if this would be possible with rackets.

If we don't want to harm mother nature in any way, we'll need to stop playing badminton completely. And any other sports. And living in general. :confused:

nemrod, Lindon, Super85 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Look, I'm all for alternative and 'new' technologies, but the Carbosonics are a step BACKWARDS. It doesn't mater if styrene and CF can be recycled, it's just that...well....they're not being adequately recycled. And it's not like anyone buying Carbosonics is sitting there after a session, patiently removing all of the styrene from the carbon, and sending them both (at their expensive) to their relative, and rare, recycling facilities.

It's got nothing to do with 'not harming mother nature in anyway' (As if somehow, as human beings, we're not actually PART of mother nature), it's about the ethos of "If you're going to come up with something better, maybe actually make it better".

These pieces of sh1t are a step backwards in every possible way, and I'm frankly embarrassed that anyone would think differently.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Anyone been able to directly compare with Ashaway Bird2?

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And that's what I still don't get. Where's the step backwards?

In terms of recycling or waste disposal, they are equally bad as current nylon shuttles (and in fact also feather shuttles) with 0% recycling possible/realistic.
    So if their flight behaviour is better and durability is at least the same (which is both not clear for me yet btw...), then bottom line they are a step forward. Maybe not the revolution we are all waiting and hoping for, but at least a sign that there is some development going on in this field.

And don't get me wrong mate, I highly admire your drive and passion to reduce badminton's negative impact on our environment. But in this specific case, I think that your critique goes beyond the objective.

nemrod and Super85 like this.
  9. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Hahaha, BC Kuhdorf. Good one! :D

10. Gavin97

Gavin97 Regular Member

Just received a tube of the carbonsonics, will give it a try this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Slade

Slade Regular Member

False.

12. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    I decided to try these over the weekend, and the feel very nice. The play and feel is very close to feather. I hope they keep developing these shuttles further. Definitely worth spending the money compared to crappy nylon shuttles.

13. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

I think differently... And I also like Teslas!

Slade likes this.
  14. Gavin97

Gavin97 Regular Member

Had a good try this weekend with the No.1, had mixed opinions with it. Got them for around £8 per tube (6) which compares nicely against Mavis 2000 and a basic tube of feature shuttles.

First impressions:
    First hit with it felt strange, didn’t feel like hitting a feather or a plastic. Playing overhead cleats were satisfying, non of the traits a normal plastic would have. Flight pattern from a normal baseline underhand clear to test the shuttle was compareable to a Gold Champion.

Clearing:
    Had no problems clearing whatsoever, felt like a normal feather shuttle.

Drives:
    This is where the shuttle would wobble as soon as the shuttle left the string bed. Made fast driving near impossible cause of the wobble.

Smashing:
    This part is kinda hard to describe? Half smashing felt like a normal with a feather. However full smashing with this synthetic shuttle gave the impression your string broke after every hit. Such a loud ping after every smash it’s off putting.

Net shots:
    Net shots were hard to accurately hit compared to feathers, their inaccurate flight pattern with them so wobbly, you could never accurately place the shuttle.

Durability:
    After a solid session with both a Victor GC and the Carbonsonic, the carbonsonic looked like new. The styrene look like it was in mint condition and the carbon stems looked immaculate. However the GC looked like it had a rough time. Definitely recommend it for durability.

Conclusion:
    Would I recommend these? Yes defiantly, however only at the price point of ~£8. We usually consistently hit the string bed so issues with feathers loosing its flight pattern in 2/3 hits is rare. However we gave it to other club members and it broke within 30 hits (with a lot of mishits of smashes and defence). It was definitely fun to play with and I recon it gives a bridge from plastics to feathers given the price point, durability and similarity to feather shuttles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

visor, s_mair and Slade like this.
  15. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

@Gavin97 Since you're UK based, any comparison to Bird2? And where to buy for £8? :eek:

amenzza likes this.
  16. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    I have tested both.

During one of my residential training weekends I asked the coaches, who are all very high standard players to test Carbonsonic. They all said it was the best non-feather shuttle they had played with.

Personally, I agree with this statement. At some stage I will review the shuttle but have to wait to test. From the initial test I can confidently say it is a better shuttle compared to Bird 2.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

Slade likes this.
  17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

So far, so good. But honestly, if Victor Europe doesn't get the price down to a remotely realistic level, I'm afraid this will end up as a fail before it has even started. 20 EUR for 6 plastic (sorry.... carbon...) shuttles? No way.

@Gavin97
    Where the hell did you get them for £8 per tube in the UK?

18. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Well it's Victor Europe..when was the last time anything was priced sensibly?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I was expecting "slightly overpriced", but this? That's just ridiculous, even for Victor Europe standards.

20. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Shame. From an outsider perspective it just seems normal crap they pull

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk