The routes to London 2012

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by AlanY, Jun 18, 2011.

1. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    AlanY.. I looked at your spreasheet version: "2012 London v2011.30" ...

I haven't digged much into the numbers, but I cannot really understand how Lee Chong Wei could get 9647 points in Sudirman Cup, and Lin Dan only got 7876 from winning every match and the Sudirman cup team title..

How can that be?
    Do you get more ranking points for beating the 3-players Ivan Sozonov, Rumbaka, and Park, than for beating all 5 of Park, Kashyap, Zwiebler, Sasaki and Gade??

Seems a bit strange..

/Twobeer

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

re. my earlier post #7, it's all based on the ranking points before the t'ment.
    as i said someone can earned 7000+ points by losing every single games, on the other hands 2 points for others that won all their matches.

basically, it's 10% of your ranking points before the t'ment plus 1% of your opponent's, if you win. if your opponents dont have a ranking before the t'ment, which can happen for the new pairs, the max points can be award to you if you win is, TWO points.

#22 AlanY, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  3. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Seems like a really f-d up ranking system we have :)

4. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

coundnt put it more eloquently myself.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Again, it's our National Associations who voted for this system (through BWF).

When we are now recognising more on individual player's ranking, and less on Associations' members' points, we find the system most ridiculous. :eek::eek::eek:

6. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Updated with the world championship results, the heat is really on.

link http://www.mediafire.com/myfiles.php#k0okwp0ope3xp,1

Can you imagine not only TPE topped 2 out of the 5 events and the other 3 are in the running as well? With her latest success Cheng Shao Chieh ranked first with 41,547 pts, highest among all 5 events. Fair to assume that she is definitely going to London next year.

China’s hope of sending 3 WS is not as secure with their top players at 3, 7, 9 and 13, similar situation for MS at 3, 6, 12, 14, 17 and 19. Still, early days.

Of course, it’s not just the total points but the quality of the points as well. Have a look at LCW’s 37847 from 4 tournaments that averaged 9462/tournament; a SS winner can only get 9200!

So, for the points/tournament,
    MS – Lee Chong Wei 9462
    WS – Wang Yihan 9347
    MD - Cai Yun / Fu Haifeng 10028
    WD - Wang Xiaoli / Yu Yang 10718, and
    XD - Zhang Nan / Zhao Yunlei 9807.

That will become significant later on as they probably don’t have to play after 10 tournaments as not much to gain for them after that. Others may have to play 14 or 16 t’ments to get the most points out of it.

Another point is can you imagine MAS may have only a solitary entry for 2012 London? Well, there are only 16 pairs for the doubles, with 3 likely to be awarded to Africa, Pam America and Oceanic plus 1 possible wild card to the host nation you need to be in the top 12 to be sure of qualification. MD, KKK/TBH are currently at No 9 its touch and go that they wouldn’t slide down a few more places before next May. That may not be as unlikely as it sounds. CHN, KOR, INA, JPN, TPE and DEN are all capable to have 2 pairs in the top 16, if 3 of them have 2 pairs in top 8 then 9 places already taken! WD, CEH/WPT are at No 16 already out of the frame unless they can improve significantly. WS and XD I think we can forget about them. MS, Wong Choong Hann at 34 and Daren Liew at 41 not exactly inspiring, aren’t they? For singles, it’s a bit more complicated but probably top 32 or there about can ensure a place.

So, come May next year maybe only LCW has the Olympics ticket! That will be a disaster for a badminton loving country.

#26 AlanY, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

3 countries, 2 pairs in the top 8 = 6 places (2 pairs max per country no matter what). Only 1 pair in the top 8 means only 1 pair can go ... (if I remember that correctly having read it not long ago)

8. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    I attended the BWF Athletes Commission meeting at the 2011 Worlds just recently and they explained a few things to the qualification system. Badminton was to follow Tennis and have 172 players. Once you take away 16 pairs in each doubles event (MD/WD/XD = 96 people), you are left over with 76. Divide half into MS and the other half into WS, then you would get 38 per event.

However, it should be noted that they said if a player qualifies for 2 Doubles events, then a spot will be awarded into the Singles event of that player's *** to make up 172 players.

Other points mentioned at the meeting were that they would look very closely into matches that were between the same country to make sure that both teams are playing to their abilities and that there would be huge consequences (unnamed) if they found that a player/team is throwing the match.

Also, the skirt rule is still pending. It is still under review. The main reason for the rule from what I heard was because the Women's game is not keeping up with the Men's game and they need 'something' to help bring the levels a little closer. But that's for another thread...

Oh, I forgot to mention that the pools of 4 are maybe just meant for the Doubles events (4 pools of 4 teams = 16). Top 2 teams in each pool come out and play from the Quarterfinals. I'm not sure how the Singles will turn out, but I think it will just be a normal draw?

#28 towbsss, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Perhaps our women need to be dressed like men and also play like men

:D:D:D Surely the women's game cannot keep up with the men's game.

To need 'something' to help bring the levels a little closer to the men's game, perhaps our women need to be dressed like men and also to be playing like men. :p:p:p

10. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

The Williams sisters (tennis) dress in true girl-y fashion but plays like men!:) So baddy's girl should dress like girls and play like men, more interesting and good for the fan base.:D Only in soccer do the girls have to dress and play like men.;)

11. edwordsteve

edwordsteve New Member

Consultant
    Fixing

I think there was a match fixing:mad:

12. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i really think they tried to fix something that ain't broke.

why only 16 pairs in doubles, ain't OLY tried to get as many countries in to promote the sport? allowing 2 pairs from each country if they both in top 8 means that can be as little as 11 countries in the doubles events!

the singles are just as bad, as far as i understand we will have 16 groups in the preliminary rounds, no of players in each group, wait for it, from max 4 to min 1. yes, that's right 1 or 2 in each group. what's the point for this?

also, it's possible that the first time in OLY badminton history that the winner actually lost earlier in the games (group match). up until now if you had a Gold medal means that you were undefeated, not anymore.

#32 AlanY, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Where does it say singles is group play as well? Afaik the document said Round of 64 ...

edit: ah it actually says "draw of 64" and "draw of 16" for doubles ...

Looks like it is indeed group play as well for singles based on ticketing info :D

#33 demolidor, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Baddy's girl should dress like girls

I am afraid that I have to disagree. :eek::eek::eek:

Female Badminton players should dress up what is best for them to play efficiently.

Surely dresses/skirts can be worn when they attending other occasions (like at a Ball/Dance/Dinner/Social function).

16. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

Matching tights underneath the glamorous skirt should be alright. Bumps up the rating for the casual fans as well...if looks could kill, sure it can garner some more viewers and sponsorships. Who knows, burnt out (young-ish) babes can still pursue a catalogue modeling carreer.:D

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We wish to attract some attention

:D:D:D Just imagine at a girls' school; the lady PE teacher tells her students:

"Listen girls, we are going for a jog around a couple of blocks outside our school today.

We wish to attract some attention.
    No running shorts are to be worn. Everyone must wear skirts in this jog today."

I am sure that the students would say to themselves: WTF is going on?. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

#37 chris-ccc, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  18. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

:) That is not good for the PE class to trot and canter, even gallop around in skirt for nothing; no commercial value or revenues generated.:D Besides, school is school, we are talkin' professionals or professionals at the Junior level.:)

...the only spectators would be drooling geezers and sod-buster blokes (watching FOC).:)

19. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

updated with VietNam Open results,

http://www.mediafire.com/?k0okwp0ope3xp

Countries with maximum quotas;

MS x2
    CHN, KOR, INA

WS x2
    TPE, CHN, KOR, JPN

MD x2
    KOR, JPN, INA

WD x2
    CHN, JPN

XD x2
    TPE, CHN

20. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Chris, I have to agree with Milgauss, you are a bit off loopy, loopy, connecting pro baddy chicks to school girls:D If you read the posters in this forum, you can note there are lots of horny old goats here oogling, drooling, so skirts do make sense:p