Misbun gives Hafiz two more chances

Discussion in 'Vietnam Open / China Open (2) 2007' started by alfa-2, Nov 10, 2007.

1. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    sounds like a good anime. :D one i would surely buy and watch for the sheer entertainment. hidden strength coming out at last......:)

2. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Nothing is impossible my friend. LCW was a write-off before he came good and he did not win any ALL-ENGLAND, like HH, before that.

With such failures such as HH going from very good to worse, obviously there were a lot of wrongs. If he can correct those wrongs, why can't he come back to his previous winning form ? We are not biased against him so why would I not think he can come back if he fixes his problems.

The coach has said before HH needs to get his fitness back and we have seen many times how he capitulated easily from a winning position all because of his fitness. If half of what I read is true about him losing the fats around his waistline, then I would say his chances are good in the coming two tournaments. HH has height, speed (but not sustainable due to his fitness), strokes, smash,and cunniness.

I would say HH would give LD a hard time in the CO -- it will not be an easy win for LD and if HH wins I would not be surprised. Such is life.

#42 X Ball, Nov 15, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Then, Malaysian fans and players (especially LCW) alike who became so depressed with his sudden departure will ask in jest: "Who is this man LI MAO ???" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Yeah what happened to Li Mao ? Is he still singles coach for Korea ?

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Li Mao went into hiding in Korea. He is still coaching there.

I'm sure Hafiz can do it. And i do hope he will do better.. not worse.

6. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Only difference is that HH is like a fairytale gone wrong.

In 2002 he beat Bao Chunlai in 6 games to put Malaysia ahead in the Thomas Cup semis.

Then he became the youngest Commonwealth MS champion, beating the likes of WCH and LCW.

In 2003, he won All-England by beating Chen Hong in straight games, despite being 9-14 down.

After that, he went down, and never got back to his peak.

7. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    i believe he also lost to CYK in ABC this year.:cool: nothing new.........

8. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    oh, i think he is not light, can see by the way he moves..........:D:D:D

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    in that case, why stretch the agony, bring in
    some new blood to compete for a national position.

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    New blood still cannot beat him.. thats the reason.

11. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    he is with a private club, Nusa Mahsuri. BAM can't do anything. I wish that MAS has more talents like CHN.

12. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

talking about new blood, TCS? Ken Lim? CWF? :confused: ha they can't even beat WCH or Roslin:crying:....i think HH is still the no. 3 in MAS ranking;)

13. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    He beat WCH and Lee Tsuen Seng. not LCW. He actually lost to LCW in Malaysia Games (SUKMA) but LCW wasn't established enough yet so LCW din go to that Commonwealth games.

14. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    The more life lines we throw to him the more disappointment we get and more resources are wasted, he has yet to deliver since 2003 and I think 4 long years is fair enough to say Hafiz desire to win is non-existence. I can't imagine top notch player doesn't work on fitness as priority unless he is not serious. Time to move on and concentrate on the youngsters, they may not be the same level as Hafiz now and may stumble along the way but I rather take this unknown chances than the one already proven again and again on Hafiz.
    Hafiz did bring glory to our nation and we have supported him for very long time, time to move on for future prospect, don't live on the past just let it be out sweet memory like Thomos Cup 1992(already 15 years)

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hmm i think Han had elaborated what i intended to say. I dont expect new blood to be an instant success onto world competitive scene. U pick the best few and let them have some international experience. Eventually 1 would rise up as they would be all hungry to prove up themself. HH has no hunger to win it seem. HH maybe good for LCW's career but what come after lcw? There is no succession planning it seem.

16. hollywood_t

hollywood_t Regular Member

Accoutability, attitude and aptitude

Sound advice,

I can't believe everybody else is still propping this guy up. It seems obvious that his only value is as a sparring partner nowadays. Fine keep him in the national team as a sparring partner but don't waste a penny more sending him to international competitions.

The argument that there is no one else has been heard time and time again, but essentially you will go nowhere if u keep rewarding poor performance. You are spoiling the player by giving him chances w/o any accountability. This is not how you improve your players. If they can't handle the pressure to improve how will they ever compete on the world stage.

LD or Taufik are not going to say "it's okay there's always the next point, try again ok". They will hammer the nail into the coffin.

You have to take a chance on new players and treat them fairly but make them accountable, talent notwithstanding. A good player with good attitude and mentality will benefit the national team far more than a great player w/ bad attitude and no results. In fact you need the players w/ a good mentality to push those w/ more talent and less drive. A new junior player w/ the proper drive and mentaility will overtake the senior player w/ greater talent and bad mentality.

Let's face it Malaysian players doen't lack for talent, what they need is to develop the winning instinct. You will never get there by being soft on the player and not making them accountable.

17. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Agree with most of your valid points. As a Msian and Kelantanese myself, I hate to see his performance plunged since winning AE few yrs ago. I was sitting in front row during SG Open watching the game (Hafiz vs Boonsak), and oh boy, I was not only dissapointed but heart broken with his on-court attitude and mentality. He had shown no fighting spirits and as u know, we used to produced FooKokKeong and WCH who had shown "never-say-die" attitude who made us proud.

Another valid point is that Msia cant afford to sideline him coz the newcomers are not up to the mark yet. Tell me, who is the 2nd best single player in Msia who can challenge the world best? WCH? He is aging and "veteran". Roslin? He should stay in "museum". The rest, NA (Not Applicable). So, tell me, if u were the chief coach, would u take the risk to let Mr.Yoyo grounded? I wouldnt, not till I see the rise in the new batch... Now, it depends on Rashid coz he takes care of the new bloods.

Msia Boleh...!!!

18. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    I am sure MAS team will have a huge restructure on their set-ups .. But that is only come after Olympics 2008. While many of BCers blaming MAS for seldom or rather not sending enough juniors to participate in many tournaments, please bear in mind that any juniors players need to gain enough point in order to get urself for even a place in the qualifying round.

Looks at the recent concludes Vietnam Open, MAS national team sending alots of Juniors & HH stayed home. Although eventually the MS Champions goes to Roslin, but it is a good sign & this is not the first time BAM sending their juniors MS squad aboard.

It needs time to groom the Juniors & also as much exposure to international circuit in order for them to be maturalized.
    Looks at TWK/WKW, the sole XD representative of MAS for many SS, even they failed to bring any results, but BAM still send them to as many SS possible. This is a sign of trust on them.
    You can't compare MAS Juniors with Chinese Juniors, they emerge fast, in their younger ages. Many Chinese kids start their "Formal" badminton training since 5-6 years old. This is probably due to the study system were indifferent for both countries.

19. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    much as i dont want to, i kinda agree with most of what you say. and as much as i want to keep supporting hafiz and giving him a fighting chance in all those SS, i realize maybe that might not be what is best for him. maybe if a junior can finally threaten his position as the top three MS player in Malaysia will he either fight back or retire entirely. sigh....whatever it is, hafiz is a dilemma for malaysia. :)

20. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Frustrated Hafiz vows to meet last-eight target :cool::rolleyes::confused:;)

PETALING JAYA: Men’s singles shuttler Mohd Hafiz Hashim is ready to end the year with good showings in one of the two Open tournaments this month.
    National coach Misbun Sidek has set Hafiz a quarter-final target in both the China Open, which starts on Wednesday, and the Hong Kong Open from Dec 28-Dec 2.

These are the last two tournaments for Hafiz, who is going through one of the worst years of his career so far.

His poor showing has also affected his earnings for this year. Except for a semi-final finish at the Korean Open, Hafiz has crashed out in the early rounds of every other tournament.

“I am not satisfied with my own game. I cannot go on like this. It is affecting my income as a player,” said Hafiz, the 2003 All-England champion.

“I want to get back that feeling of winning titles again. It is demoralising to lose every time. What makes it even more frustrating it that I do give my best in training.

“I have to continue working on my physical condition. But I know that I will get back my touch one day. I have faith in myself.”

Based on the draw for the coming Open tournaments, Hafiz’s bid to revive his career with his best ever showing is likely to come unstuck.

In the China Open, Hafiz, the world number No 19, is expected to meet either top seed Lin Dan of China or South Korea’s Park Sung-hwan in the second round.

In the Hong Kong Open, he has a first-round encounter with Indonesian Simon Santoso.

“The Opens in China and Hong Kong are the last two chances for me. The draw is tough but reaching the quarter-finals will be a great achievement in these challenging Super Series events,” he said.
    He stands to pick up US$5,000 if he reaches the last eight.