Dutchy of Cornwall Satellite

Discussion in 'UK' started by Dill, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I just went by the list Linda sent out, I'm sure there must be a good few of these little BnB's dotted about the place.

Are you in this time player?

Matt, psyched up? No chance I'll take it as it comes. Although I have had all my rackets re strung in nice crisp gut just in case :)

I'm looking forward to having a little break, how about you?

2. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Nah, not in this time I'm afraid. Not much time for badminton right now :(

3. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Know how you feel, I also have somehow contracted the "can't be bothered bug" as well as can't find the time due to major problems at work. :(

4. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    If this question was asked toward me, i aint got time for a break! Training bery intense at the moment as a series of comps coming up, and then off to IBA so!!

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

There's one of those Bonanzas in Grangemouth two weeks before the Open, I'll play in that to get some court time.

I was reading on badders that someone was looking for a club and was rating themselves as an A level player to which someone replied "you should be on the Satellite circuit"

I thought this was designed for good club players with the occasional county level player?

The closer it gets the more I'm convinced I'm going to look a muppet, maybe I should wear clown shoes on court!

Just as I have paid for my rooms and travel as well, oh well I'll just have to wait and see.

Either that or fake a passport for someone good and con them into playing in my name but make sure they get beat in the semi's to avoid their photo getting in any publications, am I thinking into this one too much? :eek:

Do I get a telegram from the moderators as this is my 1,000th post?

6. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Dill,

Of course there will be county players there, there always are. It's just at the bigger events you get the big boys turn up. However, did not expect Clarky at the Northumberland.
    Your not gonna look like a muppet, i would find it rather funny if me and you get drawn together. Would be a good game! Thats if i have the money to get a room!

Training is rather good actually, starting to peak a bit too early tho!

Matt

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Are you telling me you're going to be seeded then? ;)

Do you have any coming up, I remember you saying you'd like to play in the hearts is it before Cornwall?

If you're peaking now it's a good thing! You're in form for the early comps.

8. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Dill,

Not seeded im afraid!!However yes i am in the Herts before the Cornwall. I am peaking now but it should be a little later. I should be playing the way i am now in abut two weeks. Slight adjustment to the intensity i think!

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Just checked the tickets to buy them and the cheap fares are not availible on that train so it looks like the expensive ones!

Noooooooooooooooooooooo :eek:

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Is everyone still going to this?

With the increase in travel costs i'm starting to have second thoughts :eek:

11. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Dont bail out now!

12. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    I'm back after a week of Oracle DBA training. So what did I miss in BF all last week? :cool:

Matt, I think its my shoe as well. When I was away for IT training all last week I forgot my trainers and had to wear my leather shoes all the time (even when I went for a walk in the park) and I started to have pains again.

I'm planning to buy new trainers next week(probably asics) and hopefully the pain should ease a bit.

Yeah it was really stupid of me. I'm just a week away from High Wycombe workshop and I still get this pain every now and then. Maybe I'm getting old :(

Myself and skates are still planning to play doubles. When I meet skates at High Wycombe we will be playing and practising together.

Are you playing singles, doubles or both? Have you got doubles partner?

13. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Er........

i Yes
    ii Maybe
    iii No

But only if I'm able to go

I have to e-mail Linda to see if anyone has put in for partner required, the main thing is I have to pay LJB's cancellation fee and the transport fares just went up to £150 because there are no cheap seats on the train :( So I might not be able to go :( :( :( :(

14. Linda Collins

Linda Collins Regular Member

Duchy Open Championships

Dear All,

Good to see that you are all TALKING about our event. Will be pleased to receive your entries soon. The closing date is WEDNESDAY 1ST SEPTEMBER.

One person mentioned the Penventon Hotel. I purposely didn't include this in my list of B & B's as it is rather expensive but nevertheless an excellent hotel. I am sure there would be plenty of accommodation should anybody feel like staying there. It is less than 2 miles from the Leisure Centre in one direction and less than 1 mile in the other direction to Redruth railway station. If anybody IS interested in staying there please do not hesitate to let me know and I will give you their telephone no. should you require it.

I really hope that those of you that ARE interested in entering - do so, as you all sound friendly guys and it would be good for the tournament to have some new faces.

I look forward to receiving your entries then????????:)

Kind regards,
    Linda:)

15. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    I'm Sorry to hear that you had to cancel the LJB workshop. Its a shame but lets hope the Silver medal won by Nathan and Gail gives more boost to badminton and hopefully in the future you get full house for these types of workshops.

There is still enough time (until 1st Sep) to make a decision about Cornwall. So Don't give up just yet :)

16. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

how about driving?
    round trip would be about 1100 miles, almost all motorway.
    Even at 30mpg it would be 36 gallons or about 130GBP

If you've got a diesel, you should be laughing. But you could probably get 45+mpg from most cars nowadays on a long steady run if you keep it to 60mph.

45mpg would be less than 90GBP

17. Dill

Dill Regular Member

I don't know about a rental car and I don't know the way (I know I could use route finder) so it's simpler to get a direct train to Redruth and then a taxi to the BnB, which is about 5 mins away from the train station and only about a half mile away from the leisure centre.

I have a ban a couple of years ago so it might be difficult getting a rental car with insurance and I'd need a nap as well.

Still haven't figured out if I can afford it though, need to wait to see the wage slip at the end of the month but either way I'll need to send in the application form this week.

18. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Don't forget the forms have to be returned in under a week :eek:

At the moment it's game on (although it's not badminton judging by my latest form) :eek: :eek: :eek:

19. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Unfortunately for the first time in many years I will miss cornwall , due to work, unless I can wriggle out somehow :)

I'm sure some of the current / former players that I coach for devon will be down there and I look forward to seeing your results guys. Why not come to the Devon open after xmas as well!

20. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Cornwall was my first tournament in many years and though I thought my standard was well down and I was going to get beat, I almost took out one of the seeds. So don't go kidding yourself that everyone can play like Jonas Rasmussen. :)