Dutchy of Cornwall Satellite

Discussion in 'UK' started by Dill, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Matt how did you get on? I know the field was a strong one this year with Raj winning in the singles.

Linda how is the draw progressing?

2. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Yes having seen the herts results on badders it looks to have maintained its position as one of the stronger satellites, several england juniors, england fringe players.

64 mens singles (and I assume some turned away) but only 24 ladies singles!

3. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    This is another example of why we need grading of players...if people travelled a long way to play herts and got Ouseph, Tonks etc (full time funded players who play european circuit events ) in the first round it would surely discourage them from playing tournaments, the herts is a C event yet has top ten players in it.

4. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Men's Doubles field was fairly strong too.

Chris Tonks Played with Rob Adcock, then you had Andrew South turn up to play in the mixed.

Me? Went out first AGAIN, my serving was absolutely shocking to anyone who was there. Lost it 15-11 17-14.

Gonna rest now for a couple of weeks to make my knee better, it's in a right state at the moment.

5. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Matt those are good competitive scores. It takes a couple of seasons for even the top england juniors to get used to playing adult events, do't be too down. Who did you play?

6. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    dlp,

Cant remember names, however it was good just watching some of the games. Leah Tarry was there, good mixed player aswell as Higgins, Tonks etc, so some good games. Rayappan is a class mixed player, she played with South.

Gotta rest now, my knee is in a terrible state. I've got Iliotibial Band Syndrome, ever heard of it? Been biven stretches to do, stengthening exercises aswell as wearing a patella band day in day out. Be out for a while :(

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Rest it well - remember what is at stake, if you get back too early you will not get the best results from the IBA. Don't make the mistake of starting back when you feel OK, wait it out. Add a bit of time onto what the doc or physio told you by a couple of weeks or so.

Better safe than sorry!!

Go on give us a brief description of what it is then :confused:

8. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    It is a band that joins the top part of the leg to the lower part. Unfortunately, it has to run somewhere and the only place if the outer side of the knee.

If this becomes damaged or injured, it tightens and therefore pushes against the knee, causing it to rub and 'pop'. Stretches try to make that band longer and cause less rubbing. You cant run through it either, so training has to go on hold too :(

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i had that before on my right knee. and putting on the patella strap really does help. after a while, it went away but also went with it was a lot of strength on my legs as i lowered my intensity due to the pain.

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

11. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    dlp - I could not agree more!

I'm helping out with one of the grading system pilot schemes starting this season. We're basing it on the French ranking system and throughout the season we are going to have tournaments targetted at specific grades. The county restricted for example will still be aimed at the top players in the county but there will also be tournaments aimed towards lower grades with higher graded players not allowed to compete. All league matches will also count towards the results. The use of the system should be ratified at our county AGM tonight. We are hopeful that we should see a significant increase in the number of people taking part in competitive play through the season.

We've graded and ranked everybody in the Northumberland league over the last 2 seasons to get an idea of how the system works. You can find out more at:

http://www.northumberlandba.abelgratis.co.uk/gradingsystem.htm

The individual rankings for each discipline are under "Latest Grading Individuals". Unfortunately, the singles rankings are a bit meaningless at the moment as they are based on very few matches. This is also something we are hoping to address throughout the season.

#131 andymcg, Sep 8, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  12. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Good work fella

Well done Andy for taking that step!!

Hope others can do the groundwork for simillar grading even though it is a long term thing.

13. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Dill,

Kent are trying it to this season, then the BA will review it and see whether it is worth using it in all counties. Seems weird to me, so even local league games count towards your grade?

14. Dill

Dill Regular Member

The way I see it is the more games people play the better the system since the averaging procedure has more references than a person playing a few games and getting a good rank.

If it averages out over more games it's a more realistic system to grade players, in saying that it puts more pressure on the player to perform well in all games and if there are many games losing the odd one or two would not affect your rank as much as it would under the current system where only selected competitions are eligable.

Like most things change takes a while to filter into the mainstream and be accepted.

15. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    The system was indeed ratified last night, and the presentation seemed to go down very well. Most club representatives seemed very positive about it. Now lets hope we get a good response to our new graded tournaments! :D

Dill - Unfortunately I can't take any credit for starting it. One of my friends in my club is from France and he got very disillusioned with tournaments in the county at present, so he took a proposal to the NBA. I'm just providing technical help. :)

Matt - if this or a similar system was to be used at national level then I'm not sure we would use local league results. Most of the results would come from tournaments. But because in this system you score points based on the grades of the people you beat there's no reason why it couldn't be done. Indeed one thing I think the BAofE are interested in is awarding points based on county match performances, which isn't possible with the current system. We are just using local stuff as it provides more data for us to work with, and it helps to smooth things out. One of the problems we had at the beginning was working out how to grade each player - so we used league divisions as a simplified starting point. And the 2 years of results we've entered has helped to remove any obvious errors.

To make this work on a national level though we would need LOADS more tournaments! For example this season we are looking to run 10+ local tournaments compared to 2 in recent years.

16. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    The baofe recently had a questionnaire about using grades on the site, I completed it.

Lets say there are 250 players who might play in a mens singles or doubles event at an open during a year. Surely if the events are a,b,c, having a player like Ouseph (who probably ranks 5 in country) playing in a C event is nonsense. If the no,. 250 player gets him first round and doesn't get a shuttle back will he play another open?

Cornwall is a good tournament because you don't get top 10 players and there is a plate which is a huge incentive to play for new players.

17. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

The August issue of the BAofE's magazine, Badminton, says that the questionnaire has been circulated to all club and league secretaries. And that the questionnaire is available online until September 1st.

I didn't get the magazine until after September 1st. :mad:

18. Dill

Dill Regular Member

You're involved!!

Good work by the Frenchman and Andy ;)

The French chappie wouldn't happen to be the one who has his own website and has been banging on about this grading system because it works in France is he?

19. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Dill,

Hows the training for the Cornwall going mate?

20. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer

:D No he isn't Dill.....he came across here to go to uni, stayed on, and has now got married and settled here. He was just getting very frustrated at the lack of opportunities for competitive play if you're not in the county squad.

So far it seems loads of people are interested, and everybody wants to know where they have ranked, and how they are graded. We just need to keep this interest going until we can have our first tournaments now.