Candra Wijaya at Summer Camp

Discussion in 'ClearOne Badminton Centre' started by defiant, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Djiban

Djiban Regular Member

badminton addict aka baddict
    ^ do yo mind telling us what time? i dropped by today and candra was just standing...i wanna see him in action

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Fair enough, but it seems that not many students actually had technical questions for the 'Grandmaster'. It does shows you how much guidance he could give to the participants onsite. Not sure if it's because of his limited English capacity or the students' shyness. If Thomas Stavngaard is doing 95% of the teaching, then Candra is obviously underemployed. I was told that Candra was walking around most of the time observing and doing not much else beside providing sparring to C2's top guns. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that C2 could at least be more lenient with the public seeking Candra after-session.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Well maybe someone have to instruct Candra what to do.. if he is just standing there and doing nothing much.. there might be a reason. He might not know what to do. And since His english is limited.. no one dared to ask him directly?

4. badelbow

badelbow Regular Member

AND, I think me and my bro are gonna play Ronne/Candra for drinks after training tomorrow :)
    ^ do yo mind telling us what time? i dropped by today and candra was just standing...i wanna see him in action

Towbsss has confirmed that exhibition matches with Candra to start around 5:45pm this afternoon...be there...

5. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    Towbsss has confirmed that exhibition matches with Candra to start around 5:45pm this afternoon...be there...[/QUOTE]

I worked until 9:30pm so I missed it completely. :(

6. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    Today's short conversation scene between Chandra (Indonesia) and Thomas (Denmark). :)

Setting: A potluck at the ClearTwo centre, where the parents, the Canadian and Denmark players, and the coaches celebrated the conclusion of the Summer Camp. A TV was set up to show last year's Korean Open and a couch and a coffee table were placed in front of the TV. Korean Open (3): Chandra/Sigit vs Ericksen/Lundgaard.

Time: 645pm.

Chandra and Thomas were watching game 2. (Please remember that their Englsih are not that good so I fill up the gap of the conversation).

Chandra: Damn. It was very close. 15-13 lima-belas, tiga-belas. (the game 3).
    Thomas: You lost? (Thomas with accented English. Apparently, he didn't know the result).
    Chandra: Yes.
    They continued to watch it for a bit.
    Thomas: You looked "dumb", now you look "old." :D
    Chandra: :( (grabbed his paper plate and pretended he wanted to throw it at Thomas. Then, he put it back onto the table.) then gave a quiet smile.
    Then they continued to watch it for a bit.

Darryl in the background taking pictures at the potluck scene and the two world-class players.

* I got a picture with Thomas too! * :D

7. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    thomas asked when was the tournament and candra said a year ago then thomas said "you looked young" and candra said "now or before?" and thomas said before, now you looked old. Then candra said actually the tournament was from 2 years ago

8. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    I apologize for the inaccuracy. Yours make much more sense. Thank you for the correction. I did miss some of what they said because there were background noise. So the part "dumb" was actually "young." :eek:

Earlier before they sat together to watch the TV, I suspected that it was last year's Korea Open. Chandra was happen to be nearby so I asked him whether it was from the last year's competition, and he said yes. I did check it again. The game is indeed from the 2005 Korea Open, which Chandra/Sigit lost to the Denmark pair 15-7, 13-15, 13-15.

SmashingBird, did Chandra also said that the Chinese opponents were very fast?

#68 CanuckBur, Aug 10, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  9. event

event Regular Member

It was closer to 2years ago than one. It was late January 2005. I was there. Great match!

10. devilcat

devilcat Regular Member

You guys r so lucky to have so many Int'l World-Ranked players at your club! I really look forward to the demonstration game here at Mandarin Club in Toronto featuring Gong Runia, Cao Chen and coach Zhang Shao Chen this Saturday. I'll keep you guy update with the details too! Sounds like the atmosphere is so good! Darry, you rules!;)

11. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    Lucky guy. Man, I only played badminton for a few years so I didn't start to pay attention to the international game until recently. The 2004 World Junior Championship in Richmond, Canada, was the first international game that I watched. It was incredible. That's why I want to become a better player.

12. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    Thanks! Please give us the update. I learnt how to pick up a birdie with my racquet by watching Gong Ruina's game (dvd). The one she did it was so clear that I had no problem copying it. I wish I could be there to watch her demo.

13. badelbow

badelbow Regular Member

As promised - More pics - sorry, pics not very clear
    Videos - to come

Attached Files:

14. badelbow

badelbow Regular Member

And More - Summer Camp Pot Luck pics

Attached Files:

15. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    Looks like you guys had fun :D Wish I could've been there haha...

On an off-note, Candra has an uncanny resemblance to my cousin's boyfriend =O