Candra Wijaya at Summer Camp

Discussion in 'ClearOne Badminton Centre' started by defiant, Jul 18, 2006.

1. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Slipped my mind, Pete. :D

-dave

2. derrickn

derrickn Regular Member

#42 derrickn, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  3. event

event Regular Member

Interesting. I wonder if he is playing in Korea and if so, with whom. I would love to see him play with Tony like they did in Indonesia. Neither are playing the Worlds, are they? Candra was runner-up here last year. I think a lot of Koreans still remember him from Sidney because he and Tony had to beat both Korean pairs to win the gold there.

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Many thanks Derrick :)! Chandra was very nice. He didn't cut off some of the drives you guys drove over to their side :D.

5. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    With the picture/video taping, it's just that ClearTwo probably feels that they had to pay for/pull a lot of strings to get Candra over here and people who simply come in and shoot pictures or photos, especially those who may not even play at ClearTwo... yeah, I hope you understand...

It's not like they're banning you from watching or anything... but yeah, one of the issues would be trying to get a picture with Candra... when he's supposed to be coaching, cuz I've seen that happen.

I will try to get more photos/videos, but they will be uploaded after the camp is over (10th) :)

6. ghostwriter

ghostwriter Regular Member

towbsss, I don’t know whether as one of their coaches you’re speaking for C2’s management on this forum, but unfortunately this is a very shortsighted and narrow-minded statement/opinion. The badminton community is small and mobile. Many of you maintain memberships at VRC but train at C2. I myself play mostly at VRC, but this doesn’t preclude me from dropping in at, taking lessons at, or referring people to other facilities, including C2.

The number of people who are knowledgeable and passionate enough to come out to see an international player is relatively small. Inviting the public to come watch (post #18), but then making an issue of picture taking, regardless if they play at C2 or not, is contradictory. Interested fans should respect the coaching hours, but I don’t see what is the problem with taking pictures before or after lessons, so long as Candra himself is willing to oblige.

Furthermore, to bring up the issue of cost, C2 is treading thinly. More than one parent has expressed frustration with the high cost of the summer camp and the lack of coaching that Candra seems to be actually doing. There is a perception that C2’s coaching staff has been the main beneficiaries.

Having seen several international caliber players come through the area lately, though not actually coach here for various reasons, I am pleased to see Vancouver finally able to land someone of Candra’s stature. Credit to C2 for being a pioneer in the market. But, on the business side, C2 has dropped the ball on the PR potential of this visit. Hopefully, with 1 week left in the summer camp, C2 will take the opportunity to make things right.

7. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    The very friendly receptionist told me that Chandra was going to do demo at 6pm on last Thursday and Friday. Is he going to do another demo on this week's Tueday and Wednesday at 6pm again?:)

8. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    Okay, I'm sorry for the contradiction cuz I thought it was okay for people to come see Candra, but then I found out that ClearTwo management didn't really want the public to come in... so, that's why I voiced the new opinion. I was told it was okay to watch, but no photos/videos. I actually think it's nice to see some people take the time to come out :rolleyes:

I'm sorry you/they feel that way. I honestly think the cost of this summer camp extremely reasonable. $475 for 9 days (5 hours per day) of training with 2 international players, as well as the regular C2 coaching staff is fair. As with Candra's supposed lack of coaching, sometimes it's up to the athletes to speak to him. Think of a professor who offers office hours for his lecture. You have to take the first step to say something, whether it be a question about the lecture, or simply just saying hi. From what I can see, Candra is somewhat quiet, but if you get to know him, he's funny and he is eager to teach. You just gotta take the first step and ask him.

Haha, PR? This was almost an invite only camp at ClearTwo. I don't think it was ever intended for the public to know that Candra was coming to ClearTwo, hence maybe then, you'll understand why they don't want photos/videos. It's just some of us were a little too excited and leaked a little too much info *whoops* :D Though I am considered staff, I (hopefully) obviously function on my own, and I guess it would be my mistake for... advertising? So sorry to disappoint some of you, but I'll try to get some footage?

But hey, at least you can come watch... it's not so bad :)

If you have any more questions PM me

9. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    I actually don't know. It's not really a demo, it's just that he uses a couple of the students from the camp for a little practice cuz he needs to play a tournament the week after the summer camp. However, there's a really good chance he will be doing at least something...

I will try to arrange something for at least one of those days, but no guarantees (sorry! >__<). However, PLEASE respect the C2 policy of no pictures/videos!

10. ghostwriter

The difference between C2 and a national training centre is that C2 is, at the end of the day, a business. What is C2's target market? By all means, lock the doors during training hours, but do share with the "mere public" after the session is over. What is C2's vision for promoting and developing the game? It is disappointing to see that this is how C2 intends to run a business.

11. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    I'm sorry that you feel a badminton center thinks of its athletes first

12. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    Absolutely, if I were his student, I would ask him technical questions that had been trouble me before and during my training with him. To use an analogy, he would be like a Shaolin martial-art grandmaster traveled all the way from China to Richmond, and I would take the opportunity to ask him wushu questions that had been bugging me.

Seriously, it is a great experience to watch one of the best badminton players in actions.

No problem! :D

13. ghostwriter

hopefully it will not be a secret visit and interested "public" will be allowed to take pictures with grandmaster ;):cool::D

14. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    Please quote my entire paragraph and what kind of comment I was answering to. It has nothing to do with taking pictures, isn't it? ;) :cool: :D

"Absolutely, if I were his student, I would ask him technical questions that had been trouble me before and during my training with him. To use an analogy, he would be like a Shaolin martial-art grandmaster traveled all the way from China to Richmond, and I would take the opportunity to ask him wushu questions that had been bugging me."

15. ghostwriter

Toby, remember when the World Junior Championships were in town...do you think that, without Coach Ming pulling some strings, the Chinese team would've visited VRC and you would've had the occasion to play in those exhibition matches? :rolleyes: The point is that when there's such an opportunity to benefit the badminton community, it becomes more than just about who's paying, who's pulling strings, who's playing where...it's about the spirit of promoting and developing the game.

I have nothing more to say. Peace out. :cool:

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    That's if the 'Grandmaster' can even speak English to you. Candra Wijaya's English is pretty limited, with Darryl doing almost all of the teaching to the summer camp group. You might as well ask Darryl about technical questions.

If C2 is so protective of Candra when he's not coaching, you won't be able to ask him questions anyways. IMO, asking him technical questions is worse than taking pictures with him since you're threading on C2's business directly (which is to instruct). C2 staff might not take kindly when you ask him technical questions while you're not a student there. Students are paying $400 each to get him to come out here to 'instruct'. So obviously some people do have more entitlement to him than others. Whether they take advantage of his presence is another different matter.

17. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    actually..thomas is the one doing like 95% of the talking and telling us what to do

18. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    Cappy75, I am saying that a student of Candra should ask him technical questions. See the quote below, I was commenting to what Towbsss was saying about a student there should ask him questions. Yes, I know his English is limited. If I were a student there, I would take into the account that he is from Indonesian and his English is limited so I would try to add body language/badminton actions to help pass my message/question to him. It is not easy but "if I were a student there," then I would try my best.

"$475 for 9 days (5 hours per day) of training with 2 international players, as well as the regular C2 coaching staff is fair. As with Candra's supposed lack of coaching, sometimes it's up to the athletes to speak to him." -- Towbsss

Now, you know that I didn't say anything about a non-student can ask him questions.

It is just me. As an outsider, I will be quite happy to "watch and learn" from Candra in actions at the ClearTwo.

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Glad to read and know that you guys had a great time with Candra. :) He is simply the best. One of the most humble player i've known in the pro circuit.

20. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    I understand what you mean, but right now the intention is for him to coach a summer camp and that's that. The extra stuff at the end is a bonus.

On the bright side, I think C2 has a big exhibition in the works, but I have no idea when... don't ask! I don't know! :confused:
    (Edit: Not anytime sooooooon)

AND, I think me and my bro are gonna play Ronne/Candra for drinks after training tomorrow :)