2006 Commonwealth Games individual events

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2006 Badminton' started by hcyong, Mar 20, 2006.

1. alloh

alloh Regular Member

people gamble on football.... but do you see any gamble on badminton?
    That makes football stars rich!

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Getting back on topic. I was occupied last night so missed following the action. I think MAS will sweep all the golds, with the only threat being Hallam of ENG. If her first encounter with WMC is anything to go by, that'll be the match of the evening. WMC, on the other hand, has proven to be quite resilient despite her bad back. The day off will do her a world of good. I feel for WCH as he's probably exhausted from his QF & SF matches. Says a lot about his fitness at his age to get through to both finals. Alas, he starts both as a prohibitive underdog and it would be a shame if he did not return home with a gold medal. Anyone knows if MAS management plays team orders? Looking forward to all the finals.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The Msian Team will not have any team orders. Once both team are fighting for GOLD... you are on your own. May the best player/s win.

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I'm glad to hear that. Makes it much better for the paying public too. Good luck to all the finalists.

5. badcliq

badcliq Regular Member

women doubles for m'sia might not win...s'pore team looks strong..the gals looks like from china!

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Looks like? They are from China (!).

It'll be close because the MAS girls always make it interesting by allowing their opponents to keep up. But in the end, I think the MAS pair will prevail

7. tze yang

tze yang Regular Member

World No. 3 In Outdoor Badminton
    Guys its more for the love of the sport...
    I basically play for the love of it more than anything else in the world, that explains why i still play badminton competitively despite crashing out in first rounds in every tournament i play in...lol...im not exagerating...i am that bad, but what to do?i love it way too much to quit it...money doesnt drive me on in badminton

Btw i'd like to add, if players have their own sponsor, they ussually get another stash of bonus from there, i think yonex pay big players bout RM50k for a 5 star win...and korea is reportedly being the biggest takers from their players, bout 70% then indon 50%(which explains taufik's unhappiness) and then China 30-40% and m'sia 0...and i think denmark should be 0 too...

8. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

They ARE from China, albeit second- or third-rated ones by China's standard. Singapore imported such Chinese players at their teen-age (some of them were from provincial sports schools) and groomed them as national players. Still, their achievements couldn't match their table tennis counterparts like Li Jiawei and Zhang Xueling (who followed a similar path to become Singapore players). Their teammate Li Li's Gold Medal at CWG'02 has been the only high note so far (but she then lost to WMC at Southeast Asian Games WS final). We shouldn't write off Jiang/Li's chance but don't overestimate them either. I guess the only way they could win is that Wong/Chin aren't their usual self.

#168 Inky2000, Mar 24, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  9. Sammy

Sammy Regular Member

Engineer
    They ARE "made" in China and imported to Singapore. Need those imported players to win medals (else medals are very hard to come) like what we did in table tennis.

10. Sammy

Sammy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thats why we call "Professional" player. I think in term of pay BAM is doing a great job. Encourage youngster to involve in badminton and let them know their future are "secure" if they can make it to the national/international level. In today's society not many people would like to involve "full time" with full commitment in a sport that dont have some kind of "secure" future financial.

11. Sammy

Sammy Regular Member

Engineer
    That's the fact of life that we have to learn to deal with it. Global popularity is very important even in sport. Football is the so called the most popular game in the whole world bringing millions of broadcasting rights, sponsor rights, expensive tickets, clubs souvenior/products and etc. That bring in money. The key word is POPULARITY. If badminton can over take football to become the most popular game in the world Im very sure badminton players gonna make as much money as the football players if not better no matter which country the players come from.

12. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

Absolutely! One's so-called "value" doesn't depend on how hardworking (s)he is, but how much money that one could generate. That's the way capitalism is.

Back to the competition ... Koo/Wong lost the 1st set 14-21 to Singaporeans in XD bronze-medal final.

13. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Koo/Wong won 2nd game 23-21

14. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

Koo/Wong won the second set 23-21.

15. badcliq

badcliq Regular Member

Based on what i see yesterday, i dun think the m'sian pair stands a chance..i mean the mixed double...unless Koo steps up and be more pro active...just so passive yesterday in the loss...

maybe preserving energy for the doubles match later in the day yesterday...hmm

16. xijiayu

xijiayu Regular Member

I am worried about Msian WD in the final. WPT made a lot of errors today and LYJ was playing better technically. KKK was out of form today and committed so many errors too. Msia need to work hard for WD tomorrow.

17. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

It's over for Malaysian XD! Lost tamely in the 3rd set - 6-21.

18. badcliq

badcliq Regular Member

kinda expected already

19. twdc08

twdc08 Regular Member

student
    very disappointed....hope m`sia`s players do ur best tomorrow and get the gold medal...

20. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

WMC just lost 1st game to Tracey. come on Wong.

where r the malaysia supporters?