YONEX ASTROX 99 (AX-99)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by konww002, Jul 2, 2018.

1. esppy

esppy Regular Member

I've really failed have I, by updating the new pictures to the correct threads... now it's all over the place and people don't know what's what. Nobody even liked that damn post, shows how many people actually saw it....

I even spotted Sonoda holding it during AE's LV...

https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...rox-88s-88d-2018.175104/page-140#post-2781551

And another waiting to be spoonfed idiot lazily asking for visuals in the professional racquets thread without trying to find after seeing Chiko type the said news.... sigh facepalm.

Vivek Bagadhi, offbad and LenaicM like this.
  2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

3. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Damn so much heat for asking a simple question but thanks for actually linking it.

I actually did went on Yonex website, google search a bit and instagram search but could only see the version I have. Anyway ... thanks again for informing.

esppy likes this.
  4. esppy

esppy Regular Member

I wasn’t giving you heat, it’s more of me thinking aloud lamenting the state of things lol

Sorry if you thought I was chiding you, I wasn’t, jusr quoted you to give the link...

Quentin11 likes this.
  5. pughon

pughon Regular Member

More video for the new coloured 99

6. yoman

yoman Regular Member

zz

#1326 yoman, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  7. Benza

Benza Regular Member

Official Image From Yonex Japan website. Called the "Kento Momota Edition". Sapphire Navy Colourway. Launched Late May 2020. The design also incorporates the opinion of Kento Momota (NTT East Japan) who has used this product, and based on Navy, we treated "Gold" as an image to keep running at the top.

Attached Files:

EastDevil, LenaicM and Vivek Bagadhi like this.
  8. Coolkas

Coolkas Regular Member

Now that i look at it as a whole, the gold colour at the cap and lower shaft make it mehh :eek:

9. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Colour combination is old school but I personally like it. I think it's something that has to be seen in person rather than on internet to really judge it. It's still too stiff of a racket for my level of play anyway.

10. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Come on, you can do better than that.

Google translate, in no way mentions this is the, by your words, "Kento Momota Edition". Is that something you want on a personal level? It only states that they consulted KM (from NTT-E) on the colorway options.

How hard is it to plagiarise an auto-translated webpage? Amazing.
    Meanwhile May is still a while away so I have no idea this racket has already "launched". "Launching" would be the right word, and I would bet you hail from a past British colony or in GB, one of the two.

Lolzprince and offbad like this.
  11. Benza

Benza Regular Member

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. It is a colourway for the original ax99. But I refer it to the momota edition. Since he will be using it in the Olympics.

yenyesoh likes this.
  12. Winston A

Winston A Regular Member

13. sy0182003

sy0182003 Regular Member

Customer Service
    Has anyone got their hands on the new blue Astrox 99? How is that compared to the old orange ax99, esp. in terms of manoeuvrability?

14. Benza

Benza Regular Member

i felt the same performance as 2nd batch ax99 orange, easier to move around than the 2nd batch. still heavier than ax99 lcw.

15. Lin Juls

Lin Juls Regular Member

IT Professional
    131692732_4208876059140957_7993705996962932241_n.jpg

Good day everyone, First thing was i'm mesmerized by the design with this Astrox 99 Kento Momota (Sapphire Navy/Gold)
    So what i have right now is the 4UG5 version with Zymax 66 Fire Power @ 26lbs

My coach has the Original AX99 4UG5 (First Batch, i'm pretty sure of it because it's somewhat heavier), so i got something to compare, the AX99 Blue/Gold was slightly maneuverable in some ways and it isn't tiring compared to my coach's OG AX99 (1st batch).
    He also noticed the slight difference especially in speed.

For the other rackets comparison, i have Astrox 88D 4UG5 and ZForce 2 4UG5 to compare. I've stopped using ZForce 2 for almost a year since i've been using Astrox 88D as my main, but when the string snapped and i was still having my training i tried my ZF2 and i again fell in love with it, i forgot the sensation when i first had it. I can feel like it's doing what i wanted to do. Steep and Solid Smash, Drive Defense, my forms improved jump smash, etc. So, i tried to look for a ZF2 spare but sadly it's all unavailable now in my country, i looked for an alternative, and was leaning towards a 3UG5 version of AX88D, but when i saw the AX99 Blue/Gold, i felt happy. I remembered at some point that i saw a review or heard from a word of mouth that AX99 "Can be a ZF2 alternative". So i bought it immediately, i apologize for the long story but here's my review.

Power AX99KM >= ZF2 > 88D

I was able to generate the similar power with AX99KM (Compared to ZF2). Although it felt like AX99KM guided my smash. The immediate return to defense was easier. I tried to smash full swing and i noticed the difference. ZF2 is more forgiving than AX99KM, but when it hits the spot it gave my sparring mate the hard time returning my smash. As for 88D vs. AX99KM, 88D was faster but i find the power lacking and the solid feel... it's just not there to enjoy. Although flat exchanges with 88D then switch to kill or smash were easier compared to the 2 above.

Using AX99KM made my shots a little bit laggy at first few tries, mishits were frequent, but i was able to get used to it. It's like a beef'd up version of 88D. Maybe after a week or so, i'll be able to tame this beast to 100% (Btw, we just won our local club tournament in Doubles, my partner noticed my smashes has indeed improved).

Defense 88D > AX99KM >= ZF2

For defense, i was able to quickly return a smash with 88D, or atleast return a drive with it than the AX99KM and ZF2. But the good thing with AX99KM was i can return smashes to the back side without tiring my arm. You can feel the head heaviness or the RGS thing do the work (I don't know if RGS really there or just a gimmick, lol).

Drives/Clears/Flat Exchanges : 88D > AX99KM >= ZF2

Again, 88D takes this one. It's slightly weaker than the two but i was able to continuously play drives/clears/flat exchanges with ease, as for ZF2 it slices through the air and it has the punch but it makes your arm a little bit tired. As for AX99KM, i felt the power is there but again it's a little bit laggy, was able to get used to it after a few tries and strength training. AX99KM is more like an 88D but gained a lot of muscle mass. Clears are easier with AX99KM because of it's composition, and it feels more solid than 88D.

Net Play : 88D = ZF2 > AX99KM

I felt that ZF2 is a little bit faster than both of the rackets when it comes to netplay, i was able to do kills, do some deceptive shots with it. But mishit % were higher than the Astrox 88D and 99KM. As for 88D, this racket outshines the 3. But AX99KM is still there, again, i did some time to tame the beast and was able to provide accurate netplay with AX99KM.

16. freeter

freeter Regular Member

99 BP Color[​IMG]

Sent from my CPH2113 using Tapatalk

17. fufu27

fufu27 Regular Member

very helping review sir,

BTW, OOT
    I heard any rumor, that there is new ASTROX 99 PRO will be launch, it is true?

Lin Juls likes this.
  18. Junye

Junye Regular Member

Evening Badminton Player.
  19. KEN_KL MSIA

KEN_KL MSIA Regular Member

20. fiq_axis

fiq_axis Regular Member

20210831222025EFI8uJtPeU.jpeg 202108312220256b1FXaifDe.jpeg

Astrox 99 Pro Colorways. The red looks so.. ❌

Patrick Park Li likes this.