YONEX ASTROX 99 (AX-99)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by konww002, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

What version do you have? The strings on my 4u broke once after a few hits however the tenshion was quite high and the string quite thin (aerosonic). It felt like I held the racquet into the hit for too long when it snapped.

2. Kikuhito Senshi

Kikuhito Senshi Regular Member

project manager
    The white one in 4UG5. I don't think the version really matters. I think it is the wide spacing of strings in the pro.

3. Schultzier

I was thinking more that the increased shuttle hold could perhaps subject the strings to excessive pressure? :D

4. Kikuhito Senshi

Kikuhito Senshi Regular Member

project manager
    Not sure what “shuttle hold” is

I think it’s more down to the wider string spacing around the periphery meaning these strings are put under greater stress, with less support from their adjacent strings. As you can see on the top, this is the areas I have been breaking strings and the spacing in these areas is much greater on the 99 Pro than on the older version.

jimmyNH and Schultzier like this.
  5. jimmyNH

jimmyNH New Member

yeah its definitely wider than the old 99..i own both 99pro red cherry and 99 orange in 3ug5 variant..also when hitting the bird i felt the 99pro felt a bit softer..might be just my feeling but it just feels not as the same as 99..tension wise and string for both are the same at 13.5kg..liked how my 99 feels a bit tho

6. Schultzier

I played today and thought about your break markings on your Astrox 99 pro. By holding my white 4u 99 pro in the middle of the handle, the rotational generator system seems to work at its peak. When the shuttle comes into contact with the stringbed particularly in the lower part of the markings, the strings are subject to a longer lasting impact force. This is my observation of today.