YONEX ASTROX 99 (AX-99)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by konww002, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Astrox88SS

Astrox88SS Regular Member

my AX99 4u does not have sinking issue but it was only strung at 24lbs with BG66UM (first string job)

Im now getting Zymax 62 fire at 25/27lbs will report of any issues after i get it back.

in regards to how AX99 4u plays in doubles i have no issues with it being too sluggish or overly HH. i actually really enjoy using it for doubles.

i like the shuttle hold for front court play and it has a really good smash at the backcourt (for me anyway). I used to use the 88D 4u and it felt fast but lacking power and it does not smash as big as the 99 4u. It is like inbetween both the 88S and 88D 4u (have tried both) and it is my favourite doubles frame right now. If you have fast reaction and strong arms i think ull be fine with 99 4u in doubles IMO.

Country code for mine is AS for Australia.

2. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    yes 100% you cannot cut the strings if you intend to send it in for warranty, and must be 2-piece/4 knot

llrr likes this.
  3. Montozuma

Montozuma New Member

Same me never had any issue!

4. Parth Nayak

Parth Nayak Regular Member

What's the tension you are using ?

5. Montozuma

Montozuma New Member

I have strung it at 25lbs with Li-ning No1. Parth are you able to put a picture out..? Would appriciate many thanks.

#1045 Montozuma, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  6. LinHalu

LinHalu Regular Member

i tink its the qc

7. Montozuma

Montozuma New Member

I spoke to yonex UK they haven’t had any returns yet.

8. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    You lot are making way to big a fuss out of only 1 sighed lemon so far. Tone it down jeez. If there's nothing wrong with your example, just take it for what it is.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

ucantseeme likes this.
  9. Montozuma

Montozuma New Member

It’s worth making a fuss when pay a premium that height for 1lemon. ;-) it better be perfect. So I can cherish it for coming years. :p

10. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    1 unfortunate lemon out of at least a dozen confirmed owners. Yes I think you guys are making way too big an issue out of it. The statistics for those having tried off spec bad QC examples is far more concerning and of higher amount in comparison.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

ucantseeme likes this.
  11. magicaluni123

magicaluni123 Regular Member

I dont have any frame sinking issues yet on my AX 99. I got it strung at 25/27 and then at 26/28. this was with BG80. I still might get continuous grommets though. If so, i would need to get another U shaped grommet...
    How do you just cut the continous grommet strip? Just use a scissor?

12. Parth Nayak

Sania using AX99 beautifully ... Wonder she is using 4u or 3u ..

13. LinHalu

LinHalu Regular Member

i completely agree with u. despite this issue, i would like to reiterate thst the AX99 is a joy to use. you wont regret buying, trust me!

14. LinHalu

LinHalu Regular Member

kidambi srikanth using AX99!!

15. Parth Nayak

Yesterday I played with 99 straight after my session DZS which is my current go to weapon. First thing first, the racket is damn head heavy . The first smash that I hit I literally had my shoulder taken away. You can feel the racket flex when you prepare well and specially you can feel the weight take your hands . Does require good technique to implement shots . The shots left the racket with some hold which made my shot more flatter .feel this racket is made for advanced players.

16. Jimbobsmith

Jimbobsmith New Member

I played my first session with the AX99 (3U) - a trial racket from a UK store

I've been playing recently with two trial rackets for a few weeks - those are the Astrox 77 (3U) Blue and Voltric Z Force 2 (3U)

I've been playing a doubles session (crazy I know!) and a singles session every week

I obviously found the Z Force 2 extremely sluggish and tiring in doubles. Astrox 77 a bit better but still naturally slow in defense for doubles

In singles (my real focus and longer sessions) I love the power of both rackets, and narrowed it down to these two. But then the AX 99 was released.

My first reaction with the Astrox 99 was that it swings effortlessly compared to the above rackets. I couldn't believe it was a 3U racket - so I weighed it as 95g and was shocked

It really moves so quickly through the air...even with a dry swing. It feels head heavy but it's something about the material or the distribution of weight.

Playing with it was a joy. My drop shots suddenly improved and everything became more accurate. I just felt a boost of control that brought out a different dimension to my play.

The power was effortless and I was able to move more into power generated from the wrist rather than from the arm which I really had to use with the ZF2 and to a lesser extent the AX77

The shots feel very "soft" as I've seen in some YouTube reviews describe...and yet the feel and control is still razor sharp.

My brother who uses an even balanced Li Ning racket did describe it as a sledgehammer BUT when he tried it - he still was able to relatively maintain his speedy style of play in a doubles game! So despite his complaints, my point about the way it moves through the air still is illustrated in a very extreme situation here

I love this racket! I'm trying the 4U AX99 just for good measure next week - but I'll be buying an AX99 regardless of the outcome.

I just hope these stories of Quality Control issues don't apply to my purchase. If they do I'm going to ask the store to give me the damn trial racket I played with :p

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

90% of speedy doubles play is preparation and anticipation, both of which are unaffected by the racket. 95g with strings isn't a lot, if there's an overgrip on there it's even fairly light (strings are at least 5g usually)

18. Joshua badminton

Joshua badminton New Member

Where did you manage to get a trial racket to play with just out of interest, I can't find that sort of place

19. Jimbobsmith

Jimbobsmith New Member

There's two places in Birmingham

Maurice Robinsons - Kings Heath (Mainly Yonex)

Racketline - some Yonex, but lots of other brands - Li Ning, Victor etc

20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    BG80 set with cable ties 4.6g, without 4.5g. According to my rackets unstrung and strung it's more a 3.0 and with the actually hype of thin strings and higher tensions on BC it's maybe close to 2.5g.;)

Yeah a warranty is great as long as you don't need it. I got replaced 4 rackets in my life. 3 from Victor and 1 from Yonex and believe me it's not as clear and easy as it sounds. If you like to wait, to discuss, wait again, write Emails and make calls like a secretary until they want to make you shut up it's nothing you need to worry. It's not a smooth thing like:

Customer: "I have sinking holes."
    Brand or shop owner: "Indeed, you get a new one."

Okaharu likes this.