Which machine to upgrade to from Pro's Pro Challenger?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Oct 1, 2015.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Sadly, the T50 has fixed towers. The base plate has the needed reels, but still the towers can't be moved. For badminton it's either T20, T70 or S90.

The T50 with moveable towers would be the perfect machine imo. T70 would be my personal choice if I had to buy again today. The symmetrically one-knob adjusted main supports are quite unique in that price range. But if your budget is tight, you can also go with the T20 without many regrets.

Indra fadly likes this.
  2. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

The T70 looks very interesting. The moving towers are always good, but the one-knob adjust is definitely appealing. It's definitely an upgraded version of the T50, which was what I wish the T50 would be. I know you are familiar with the tennisman store, s_mair, do you know when they normally get stock in again? The T70 is currently out of stock. Though the T20 is in stock, since the T70 does seem more eye catching to me, I don't want to settle for less, not that T20 is bad .

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Last thing I heard was that the next shipment of T70s should be in around beginning of December. To make sure, just write them an e-mail. Dirk is always helpful and can provide you the latest information.

Apart from availability - if money is not priority 1, then the T70 clearly is the better machine.

Konquerian likes this.
  4. Konquerian

@s_mair my superstringer s90 wise project finally complete!

I received my wise tension head on Saturday, and installed it right away. A very satisfying DIY project![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#144 Konquerian, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Nice setup, congrats! Did you have to raise the turntable to get the 360° rotation? It looks as if the WISE is pulling downwards quite a bit.

6. Konquerian

Actually, I was assuming that it needs the extra disc under the turntable to achieve 360, so I really didn't test it without it. The wise is pulling at a downward angle quite a bit. Do you think it will affect the string job pulling at such an angle? Now that you mention it, I'm tempted to remove that extra disc to see if it will still enable 360 rotation.

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I don't think that the downward angle will significantly reduce the tension - it will be a couple of % lower than a (theoretical) perfectly horizontal pull. It's more that my OCD just isn't that happy about it and I don't like the thought of having another downward orientated force applied to the racket. I would give it a try without the disc. Just looking at the pictures, I'd say it will be a close call if the handle will pass over the WISE or not.

EDIT:
    I just compared it to my own setup and I would say that the clearing distance between handle and WISE is almost the same on my T20 (see post #127 in this thread). The downward angle is less because of the bigger distance between turntable and WISE though.

#147 s_mair, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  8. Konquerian

Comparing the picture of your t20 setup with my setup, I would say my racquet handle-to-gripper clearance is just a tad higher than yours, but like you say that it wasn't by much in difference. I'll try to measure the height of the disc and see what the difference in height it will make in my setup.

9. Konquerian

@s_mair guess no more, this morning I removed the disc from the turntable and found the the result. The racquet handle with original grip was able to rotate over the gripper, but only with a less than generous margin of clearance. Racquets with thick overgrips like my racquets will not be able to achieve 360° without having the extra disc installed. As a conclusion, that extra disc and downward angle are necessary evils .
    [​IMG]

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Oh well, I think there are far worse things than this. :)
    Enjoy your new machine!

11. Konquerian

I agree ! I'll definitely going to enjoy my new toy. Stringing for my two n9ii should be fun to do. The only thing now that I'm contemplating about is the matching stand . Once you get something, other things start to follow and get added into the buy list, pretty soon I won't need a wallet .

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Don't mind that matching stand too much. It's nothing special (except the color) and I think your already existing stand gets the job done as well. You could think about mounting the machine directly to the stand though. The thing I clearly like about having the machine fixed to the stand is that it just doesn't move when you tie knots or wrestle excessively with shared grommets and stuff. ;)

But since you still have a wallet, the thing I couldn't recommend enough lately is to have good lighting. I bought a decent lamp a couple of weeks ago and it turned out to be one of the best upgrades ever. I feel a bit like a surgeon now:
    WhatsApp Image 2018-01-17 at 09.34.09.jpeg

thyrif and Konquerian like this.
  13. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

Woaw I want the same ! I always string by daylight.

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

emjay likes this.
  15. crufti

crufti New Member

Stringers,
    since I'm using the same arrangement and had the same situation with the disk underneath of the turntable, I removed the disk and even shimed a 5mm plate underneath of the Wise Adapter in order to have a horizontal pull as mentioned in the Wise mounting instruction. Wondering if the disk have different dimensions or the adapter is sometimes different. There is still a 360 possible if the grip is not extremely thick.
    PS: got one of the rare green stands from tennisman, now it fits.

16. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Do you know what's going on with Tennisman.de?

Superstringer 1200 - out
    Superstringer S70 - out
    Superstringer S90 - out (coming februar 2017???)

In addition, no answers to my emails ...

--

Do you have good alternatives for a badminton-only stringing machine (in germany)?
    - my first stringing machine (200€ - 400€)
    - just for myself (10-20 string jobs per year)
    - max. 25lbs
    - worth the extra money for fixed clamps (S1200 vs S70?)?

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

No idea what goes wrong there. So far I got all my email requests answered within one day at the latest. Maybe give them a call?

18. Tennisman

Tennisman Regular Member

@BadBadmintonPlayer
    Hello Badminton Player,
    last week i was in Holiday (i´m twice a year in Holiday for one week).
    Today i check all of the e-mails concerning of superstringer machines, but i can´t find an E-Mail from Denmark.
    Please send it again or send me an PM so you can avoid that your E-Mail is in our spam Folder
    best regards
    Dirk
    Btw, the next Container with superstringer machines will arrive in 1-2 weeks.

BadBadmintonPlayer and Super85 like this.
  19. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Hi, thanks for the detailed answer on Monday. :)
    (My email was in german)

20. knielsen

knielsen Regular Member

Just placed an order for the S90 here aswell - Was initially looking at the T20 as my current machine bit the dust, but to my surprise today when I went to order it up it was back in stock with Dirk.

Shot him an email and im getting mine with the brand new wise head aswell, excellent service so far!

I am thinking about putting a metal plate under the mounting for the wise to bring it up, that will make it easier for me get the wise up as high as possible while keeping 360" turn available, just to get as little downward pull as I can but I will tinker with that once it lands :)

BadBadmintonPlayer, s_mair and thyrif like this.