Which machine to upgrade to from Pro's Pro Challenger?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Tennisman

Tennisman Regular Member

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    looks great. certainly has most if not all the boxes checked when it comes to features.

the remaining question is the quality of the design and construction. how much tilt on the table when tensioned? how much compression on the 6/12 o'clock post after all mains are tensioned? how much spread on the side support when mains are tensioned? how much setback on the base/clamp.

having said that, this is probably the top machine in my list if I ever decide to downsize from my Gamma 6004.

3. Tennisman

Tennisman Regular Member

=> if you have a 6004, the you have a high quality machine and there is no reason to change. Here in Germany the price for the superstringer S90 drop weight machine is 529,- Euro and for the Gamma 6004 with crank systeme price is 1599,- euro. Totaly different price ranges.

The turntable system is the same as from the big brother of the machine the V8:
    [​IMG]

So it is not only looking good, the quality is as good as it looks like ;-) no tilt of the table when it is tensioned....

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the only reason is to downsize. the 6004 weigh a ton and takes up a lot of space and not practical to move it around.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

You referring to the S90 or the V8/Gamma 6004?

Stein_r likes this.
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    tilt of the table depends on a few factors, and mostly outside the turntable itself.

the 2 mains factors are:

- how the table is attached to the base. some cheap machine is basically a rod and a socket, lots of play and lots of friction. good quality have ball bearings and most have double bearings to counteract any angular force generated by the tension.

- how sturdy/stiff the base is. if the base bent or the fastening system have any play in it, tilting will result.

visor likes this.
  7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Having arrived at a total of 90 string jobs, it was about time for another upgrade. And what else than a WISE could it be? :)

I ordered the WISE from the official distributor tennisman.de along with the matching mounting plate for my Superstringer T20. It's the standard mounting plate which has a third hole drilled in to match the hole pattern of the Superstringer's tensioning mechanism. Installing the WISE was incredibly easy. It took me around 20 minutes max to remove the two screws that were holding the old drop weight tensioning mechanism, use the same screws to fix the mounting plate and another three screws to finally mount the WISE.

There was another task to be done before I was fully happy with it though. Since the grip of a mounted racket touched the gripper, I had to raise the turntable to get a full 360° rotation. Luckily, the T20 already came with an extra disk to do that:

IMG_0118.jpg

Remove another 4 screws that hold the turntable, remove the turntable, add the disk, put the turntable back on and... the old screws were too short now. o_O
    A short trip to the hardware store solved that problem (by the way - the correct size for the screws needed is M8x45, if you take longer ones they will block the whole turntable from moving), and the turntable was back in place in an instant. The result was perfect.

Before:
    IMG_0119.jpg IMG_0120.jpg

After:
    IMG_0121.jpg IMG_0122.jpg

But then... it was done.... and I saw that it was good... :D

SM6_3126.JPG

#127 s_mair, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  8. Nicholas Tam

Nicholas Tam Regular Member

Hobo Student
    Just curious, does anyone know if any BCers own or use this series of Alpha stringing machines? I've seen these online some time ago but never thought much about it but realized I've never seen it anywhere on BC. The mounting system is quite unique and yes, those are the Gamma-style clamps. I was considering upgrading to this eventually if I have the space for a standing stringing machine
    [​IMG]

kwun likes this.
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's looks like it come from the same OEM as Gamma's. as the base and end posts are the same. I like the idea as this will totally eliminate any end post compression after tensioning mains.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Thank you Santa, you are awesome!
    [​IMG]

That switch is just brilliant. I love that good old microswitch-click.

thyrif likes this.
  11. Chan1011

Chan1011 Regular Member

That looks so sweet, reminds me of mechanical keyboards :D

12. Lukas Nguyen

Lukas Nguyen Regular Member

hey, where can I buy it?

13. Tennisman

Tennisman Regular Member

For your information. Wise will have a new version with a new button. A little bit like the s_mair version.:

14. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

That new button looks great!
    @s_mair, I dont think I got that third disk with my T20? I am nearing 100 stringjobs pretty soon so I'm considering getting a Wise somewhere this spring. Anything else I need to think of when buying? (probly from our friendely tennis-spy on the forum)

15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

PM to @Chow Mein, and you will find help.
    And for what I consider to be a reasonable price.

@Tennisman
    That new switch is a serious improvement. The rest of the WISE is already first league.

@thyrif
    Are you sure that the black extra disk wasn't included hidden somewhere in the accessories box? If you don't know what it is, I guess it can be easily overlooked. But if it's truly not there, I'm pretty sure our Tennis spy might help you out along with your WISE order.
    100 is a good number to think about that upgrade. You will not regret it. I got weak at #92 already.
    With the WISE, you need the universal mounting plate and that's it. And if yours already comes with that new switch, I think you don't need to think about that extra switch.

Lukas Nguyen likes this.
  16. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Does anyone know if any of the superstringer machines come with a ratchet system, similar to what's on my pro's pro challenger machine?

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

None of the Superstringers has a ratchet system like the Challenger. But frankly, nobody needs that thingy anyways. It's absolutely no problem to hold the gripper when you move the lever.

18. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Since this thread is the closest thing to a Superstringer thread, I'll post here.
    Just got delivered the T20 + Wise combo. Wow, it's a massive step up from my PP Challenger. I probably don't have the customer numbers to justify the cost, but I thought it was cheaper to upgrade in one go rather than slowly upgrading my existing machine or buying separately.

Or so I thought... The combo doesn't come with the dropweight tensioner, so it's cheaper buying the the parts separately, if you want the dropweight tensioner as a backup.

To his credit, I did have an email conversation with Tennisman and he justified the costs, by mentioning things like manual adjustments to the T20 machine (raising the turntable). He's very kindly offered to sell me the tensioner at the price difference + delivery.

19. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Yeah just checked again, only big thing i have extra is the tennis-weight. I do have some springs and other small stuff, but not the third disc. It's also not on the machine already (just two discs). Stuff was also a bit loose in the box when I got it I think. We'll cross that bridge when I order the WISE eventually :D

Agree, never felt the need for the ratchet.

20. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

Does anybody know if the superstringer t50 has the moveable towers now or is it still fixed? I am planning to buy my first stringing machine. And reading all the comments on BC, and comments from s_mair, I am leaning towards the superstringer t20 and t50. I really want the t50, but if the towers are fixed then they are not good for my badminton stringing.