When will China's dominance end?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by Eurasian =--(O), Sep 24, 2006.

1. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

Sorry, I mean monthly salary of USD200.00 in year 2004 or 2005.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You already states that each nation limits to 2 entries, which give CHN a big disadvantage to begin with. They have 4 MS in top 10, and only 2 can participate. If you forget about the rule, then the tourny might be flowed by as many as CHN players as you can dream about. The reason to do so, is let the "less powered" nations have a chance to get enough players to participate.

I don't see why a powerhouse taking a beat to do others a favor, gets a title of "chicken"??? :eek:

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Watch out, the IRS may be wire-tapping this forum. LD/XXF may end up in jail. :eek:

Cooler is right. $6400/month for a couple is very little in California. We made way more than that, but we still need to save every penny each month.

4. chikkubhai

chikkubhai Regular Member

So its the money thats talking huh!! Like for example its cricket crazy nation in India and the top players get millions in sponsorship and other misc...

5. hollywood_t

hollywood_t Regular Member

Interesting point Cooler. There are some moderating factors though namely organization and acceptance of new approaches and techniques.

Ardy would have had to have been a world class coach and politician/negotiator to convience the established coaching and badminton organization to go in a new direction. Odds are he wasn't given his focus was to play and win championships.

Canadian badminton specifically is still focused on physical training and the power strokes school of development. However the modern game is about speed, quick attacks, and skills play. My own coach former Malaysian world ranked doubles player from mid 70's tried to import these teachings but it was a dead end. The establishment just wasn't ready to accept a different approach.

Having said that is is possible. The Netherlands imported Mia and Yao Jie and now they have some home grown talent (Judith?) capable of competing w/ the Chinese Ladies. Ditto for Germany and France who also accepted former China National team members. Not to mention England, whose double forutnes esp mixed have improved since Rexy's arrival albeit for only 2 yrs.

I believe all these countries were ready to learn and accept something new.
    It's all about the readiness for and acceptance of new techniques and way of thinking about the game. If that is there then the excellence you are importing will be transferred and take root.

If not u will only get some residual effects and overall performance won't improve.

Derek

6. hollywood_t

35% Winnings for Singles

Hi just wanted to add to the $$ discussion,

From Kevin Han commentating at WC the Chinese Singles get to keep 35% of their prize money. THe balance goes to the Assosiation. FOr Doubles it's 45% split between 2 players. So not tons of money, I think the endorsements are what are signficant.

From my coach his approach is you would invest your winnings/earnings into a property and rent it out. At the end of your playing days you would have a nest egg or retirement fund.

Derek

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Very good point.

You have to be willing to listen, in order to learn and improve. ;)

8. hollywood_t

Badminton Power Breakdown

Whew 3 posts in a row. Work must be slow this Friday :) .

Nice posts. I think the multiple factors behind China's success were prsented really well. My two cents are it takes 5 key elements:

1- talent
    2- coaching
    3- exposure to high level competition
    4- organization
    5- $$

Currently China has the most successful system but instead of covering these points again I thought I could provide a counter point on badminton success in other countries and future potential that people could respond to. (pls do correct my assumptions)

Denmark - Small talent pool (5.4M), good coaching, competition and organization comparable to Chinese system. Resources maybe the only thing lacking. I think they are maxed out on Mens side, but can do more on the women's. China's edge comes from equal emphasis placed on the women's development early on 20 yrs ago adding an extra level of catch up for others. Traditionally Western and European nations concentrate (unfairly) on men's sports. Is this the case w/ the Danes now or in past? That would explain the big gaps between mens and womens results. Talent wise I don't think they can grow their pool too much, interest is high, and sport is very popular. Organization seems high w/ good coaching and pro leagues. Only resources can be piled on and mostly benefit the women in my opinion.

POTENTIAL for Improvement - MENS (luke warm)
    POTENTIAL for Improvement - WOMENS (warm) can reach men's level w/ resources and compete w/ China

Malaysia - Med talent pool (26M), good coaching and ok competition. Lacking organization and resources. I don't think the Malaysian talent pool is lacking because it is the national or de facto national sport so this multiplies the pool by several times. Good coaches have been coming in and out of the Malaysian system for years so organization is the issue. There doesn't seem to be a focused, accoutable and transparent governing body to promote the game. Resource wise the women for sure are at a big disadvantage with w/ much more focus on the men w/ unequal funding. The men's may be lacking resources too if sending psychologist to WC is an issue. However the size of the country could also be an advantage as u have a dense badminton crazy populance w/ small geographical area where a focused network of training and development could be set up and managed more easily then in a larger country like China or the US.

POTENTIAL for Improvement - MENS (warm) key factors organization & resources at least Danish level
    POTENTIAL for Improvement - WOMENS (hot) key factors resources! organization at least Danish level

Indonesia - Med talent pool (220M) and good coaching and questionable competition and lacking organization and resources. My guess they have very similar organization issues and even worse resource situation which impedes maximizing their talent pool and competition. Political and economic instability last 10-20yrs don't help. I suspect the women are underfunded as in Malaysia. Similar advantages though as it is the defacto or actual national sport and dense badminton population/smaller area. In fact if the org and resources come on line Indonesia has the most potential of the three w/ one sport focus, huge talent pool and long tradition.

POTENTIAL for Improvement - MENS (hot) key factors organization & resources. Could become the dominant nation
    POTENTIAL for Improvement - WOMENS (super hot) key factors resources! organization. Could become the dominant nation

Have fun w/ this,

Derek

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^^Interesting point of approach^^^

hollywood_t, nice inputs you've got assembled there...very interesting..;):) :cool:

10. malaysian

malaysian Regular Member

When LYB left the team, then it will be the end.

11. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i would consider that pairing to be absolutely invincible :eek:

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i must say, that's quite a compliment to LYB's leadership ability.

13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    it tells us the eastern euros can beat lower level competition.

14. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    Yeah! :D When he does leave, I wonder who will be the headcoach? :rolleyes: :)

15. BMcentral

BMcentral Regular Member

1. They Quit paticapte in International games.
    2. The rest of the world catch up.
    3. That's all.

16. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    that's funny :D :D

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i'm sure lyb will appoint one when the time come.

18. sshuang90

sshuang90 Regular Member

I think Lin Dan has a good chance to become the headcoach someday.

19. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

Huum .. i don't see Lin Dan Becoming a coach ... He seems to like many things outside Badminton lol
    Zhang ning will surely be a coach as well as Zhang Jun or Chen Hong .. but for the rest i don't know ... =)

20. BMcentral

BMcentral Regular Member

Who has the power to do that? LYB or Chinese Badminton Association?