Victor TK F Enhanced 4U vs Yonex Astrox 88D Pro 4U

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Lim Beng Ee, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Andreas Kihlgren

Andreas Kihlgren Regular Member

4u

26/27 lbs

2. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Switch to 88dp, I use it in 4u4 configuration and definitely love it

If you want to know more, pls pm me

3. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

hello guys, I have read chanji's comment that tk-f E's shaft is less stiff than 88D pro. I also like to hear others' opinions who own both racquet. how do you compare the two racquet stiffness?

4. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

What happened to using the ax77? Have you completely switched over now?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

5. Baddyman#1

Baddyman#1 Regular Member

I myself own the 88d pro and arc 11pro and contemplating whether to get the tkf enhanced, mainly wanting to try out Victor's free core technology. But don't know if it's really worth it for this feature? it sounds like tkf enhanced play character is comparable to the arc11pro & 88 pro.

6. Raju

Raju Regular Member

D
    Definitely less stiff compared to 88D pro. I own both in 4U and both are strung with lining no 1@27lbs.
    To me TKF feels even balanced, fast and forgiving. 88D pro is clearly head heavy and lags a bit compared to TKF. Smash and Raw power 88D pro wins though.

Rommel Alastra likes this.
  7. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

which one feels heavy overall? do they have the same weight if you hold it or put it in the weighing scale?

8. Raju

Raju Regular Member

Since 88D pro feels head heavy, it feels heavier when I swing it. TKF is even balanced so feels light. Never got chance to weigh them though

9. Master_Swami

Master_Swami New Member

Thought I'd chip in my two cents; having come from 88d pro 4U and now also owning a TKF 4U.

For context; I'd classify myself as a beginner-intermediate. I've been playing for almost two years, with about 8 months of proper coaching, playing about 2-3 times a week. I play 80% doubles; 20% singles. I'm an all-rounder, comfortable at back and front court.

Quick summaries:
    88d Pro - 4U: 26lbs tension with Exbolt 63 and Aerobite.

Honestly, it deserves the praise and popularity it gets. It's a typical head-heavy / stiff racket with the expected Pros and Cons of a racket as such; great smashes but more difficult defense. It's also stiff, so it will reward good technique and punish bad technique.
    It's got a boxy frame; so the stability of the racket head is good on the follow through, but at the cost of slower racket head speed compared to a sharper frame. Other types of shots are also great; netting, drives, drops etc.
    Therefore, I think the real magic in this racket is it's accessibility. It's very easy to use and definitely a pick-up and play racket; my friends were able to adjust and play well with it immediately.

TKF-E - 4U: at same strings & tension
    This racket is a completely different profile to 88D Pro; it's even balance racket, with a slightly stiff shaft.
    And as expected of its profile, it loses out to the 88D Pro on raw smashing power, but defense and speed improves as the tradeoff.
    Anyone can tell you the above based on on-paper specs alone, so now my real insight is in the peculiarities of this racket.
    It has an unusual frame & head shape. The head shape is a bit larger and more square than usual, though this isn't noticeable when playing. But the frame is a mixed frame, with a boxyish frame around most of it until the top half of the racket, which is sharp. The frame is also very stiff. The way this manifests is in an unusual swing speed consistency, and feeling of contact.

The swing speed is not as standard and uniform as the 88d, I feel it almost accelerates midswing as the racket shaft whips forward. I think this is because of the mixed frame design. And this is how i've made sense of why some people find the timing awkward with this racket, as I certainly did when I first picked it up.

The stiff frame (and maybe the freecore handle) also results in a very "dull" contact. Where I don't feel much feedback nor vibration when I hit. This isn't a positive or negative, but a matter of preference.

So my conclusion is that:

88d Pro is an amazing mainstream racket that I can recommend to anyone that likes to back-court and smash. It does what it needs to very well, but it has predictable trade-offs.

The TKF-E however is unique; Victor has differentiated itself from Yonex by crafting rackets that disobey conventional trade-offs, but at the cost of "pick-up and playability". I think the TKF can be good at everything; definitely in defense, midcourt, netting but also smashing; but you spend a good amount of time getting used to it's unique swing and feeling.

I like both for different reasons, but I feel the ceiling is higher with the TKF-E, I just need to spend more time with it.

On a side-note; I've also had the J-Nice Black Panther in 4U. My comments on the TKF-E applies to that as well. Great racket that disobeys typical tradeoffs, but resulting in a "peculiar" style.

pootisfoib, Andreas Kihlgren and Raju like this.
  10. senthilprakash selvaraj

senthilprakash selvaraj Regular Member

I owned in order :
    1. Arcsabee z slash
    2. Astrox 88 skill
    3. 3d caliber 900 B
    4. 3d caliber 900i
    5. Aeronaut 7000i
    6. Aeronaut 9000i
    7. Tectonic 7
    8. Tectonic 9
    9. Astrox 88d pro

I have personally owned above in Same order and sold many ...
    The one and only racket which has always been in my stable is 3d caliber 900 I.

Currently I own, aeronaut 9000i , 3d caliber 900i and astrox 88d pro.

Out of above 3, astrox 88d pro has superb control and it clears well.

On smash power I will rank aeronaut 9000i and then 3d caliber 900i and then 88d pro.

My smashes are not as powerful with astrox 88d pro as compared eith aeronaut and 3d caliber I own.

Aeronaut 9000i is an unforgiving racket, any mis hit will not be tolerated, in a fast intensive game if your fitness and game is good then go for it.

Asteox 88d pro one of the most easiest racket to use on any day by any level of player.

Above all rackets I have rotated after a year or 6 moths of use with them.

But this 3d caliber 900i has been in my kit for last 3 years.

This racket is a beast and easy to use. It will give you the power no matter what level of player you are. The smashes are absolute killers. A very easy racket to use and generate unparalleled power by any beginner to intermediate player.

I felt this one most underrated racket ever produced by lining. You must try it to understand what iam talking about.

This only lags behind astroxb88d pro in responsiveness ...asteox 88d pro is swift and has high maneuverability.

Give a thought for this racket. You will understand what iam taking about. Very very easy to generate power ..it's a beast.

Senthilprakash

pootisfoib likes this.
  11. pootisfoib

pootisfoib Regular Member

How's the Tectonic 9? On paper it seems sort of like the 88d pro: stiff and head heavy. How does it compare to those rackets?

12. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Very curious to try out the TK-F Enhanced. My main racket is a 4U 88D Pro, which I really like. So much smoother than the OG 88D, which I never really jammed with. Maybe the OG was too stiff, however I think the stiffness of 88D Pro is perfect.

I play both singles and doubles, about 60/40 and sometimes when playing doubles I would want slightly faster maneuverability. I have tried the 88S, but I think I want a bit more power than that, but still faster than 88DP.

(I also have a blue 4U Astrox 77, which I don't really like the feel of, hard to put my finger on what it is. Maybe not solid enough)

Would you recommend trying out the TKF-E? Or something else?

13. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

well, if you want something that is faster than 88DP, more power than 88S, I sounds to me you want something somewhere in between, so TKFE might be a very good candidate for you to try

Swat likes this.
  14. Mikkel Press-Stevn

Mikkel Press-Stevn Regular Member

I would agree and recommend that you try the TKF-E out. I sent between the 88S and 88DP and ended up with the TKF-E as my preferred racket as it lands pretty much in the middle of the two.

Swat likes this.
  15. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Nice, thanks Khamenman and Mikkel!

16. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Sounds to me like the TKF-E is more like a 4U Astrox 77 in terms of shaft stiffness and power, but with a faster frame?

17. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

I am not sure, as I never tried Astrox 77 myself. But re-reading your post above, if 88DP is your main racket and you are very happy with it, are you sure you want to try something else that you might or might not like? I mean if you enjoy going through the journey of trying different rackets, then sure, I suggest you to try TKFE. I also like doing so and I am testing Ryuga 2 now. However, assuming you will be satisfied with the speed of the new racket that is faster than 88DP, do you think you will be satisfied if you can feel that it's lacking power compared to 88DP?

The reason of my question above is that based on my own experience after trying several rackets, I reach to the point where I am content and happy with 88DP power and feedback feeling such that anything below 88DP level will not satisfy me, regardless of its speed..

18. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Sorry if I hi-jacked the thread here :)
    Yes, you're right, I have no reason to switch from 88DP, since I'm happy with it playing singles and I'm definitely going to keep it.
    But for doubles I'd like to have a racket to switch with slightly faster frame, without too much adjustments.

19. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Based on top of my head rackets that are slightly faster than 88DP, regardless the power: Jetspeed 12 (12 being faster and still have some weight and 10 if you want even faster racket but less power so I guess you don't want too much sacrifice, but at the same time Jetspeed 12 is already discontinued), TKFE, Astrox 77 Pro (but since you don't like the feeling of 77, I doubt you will like 77 Pro), and Astrox 88S Pro.

Based on this, I guess TKFE is the closest one to the racket you are looking for. Good luck

Swat likes this.
  20. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

I just remember 1 other racket: Mizuno Fortius 10/11 Quick, but I doubt you can get it easily since Mizuno racket had 0 presence in Europe..