@ Vancouver Sept 13-15....

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by kwun, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Slightly different topic...

Just to let you guys know that TXYU is planning to come down next Friday (Sept 26th) and stay until Saturday. Would like to meet up with folks at the VRC Friday evening.

I, unfortunately, will be on the ferry coming back and should arrive sometime after 9pm and if I am lucky could meet up at the VRC around 11pm-ish.

BTW, TXYU would need to borrow some racquets before I get there with my trusty MM200, MM100.

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    I think there's a rule against frequency of the same guest within a certain timeframe. Don't know if I'm "qualified" to play :(

-dave

3. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Richmond, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
    http://www.vrc.bc.ca/rules.html:

"An adult member may introduce up to four playing guests per month, one at a time. The same person may not be a playing guest more than twice in one month or 6 times in one year. "

4. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    So have fun, take some pictures and post 'em up so we can all see them! :D

5. viver

viver Regular Member

Re: Slightly different topic...

Sorry, can't make it on Friday and may be working on Saturday for whole day. :mad:

6. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    But you haven't exceeded your 2x this month already have you? Even if you have, Fridays haven't been that busy lately. And as long as you pay the guest fee, I doubt anyone would raise a stink :p.

I should visit the forum more often. I almost missed out on hearing about this meeting too :eek:.

#166 timeless, Sep 22, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2003
  7. TTT

TTT Regular Member

Yup, I'll start doing that. This is like learning through negative reinforcement.

I dunno why, you people seems to smash higher these days...I was expecting much steeper ones...

haha...matrix style. Am I the One?

8. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    TTT, I think you should be more confident in yourself. When I watched you play throughout the night you were doing fine. However, in some games you seem to lose confidence, or get too nervous, and then make errors that you normally might not make. Just do your best all the time and you're bound to improve.

9. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Expecting a certain type of shot is fine, but you need to also ensure your mind is prepared to receive any type of shot from your opponent. When Mrs Badrad and I played you and Smashingbird last Sunday night, we had loads of time to watch you both and waited for you to get ready for a specific shot, then we tried something a little different to see how you react. Actually quite a few times you were in the right place, but your racquet was not in the right place so you weren't able to take advantage of the situation.

Just as a mental note for the next little while that you play - after every shot you make, force yourself to bring your racquet up to at chest level, instead of leaving it dragging near your knees. This will help you a bit in getting ready for the next play.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Wow! What a smashing time you all had!

Congrats to all you Vancouver BFers for contributing to such a smashing success at VRC. Did you surpass our S'pore Open by playing past 3 am the next morning? I missed all the earlier fun and would have missed this thread had not Kaffie (from Singapore) told me about it.

I'd loved to be there with you all and I'm sure many others esp. LB, Cheung, Kaffie and perhaps Mag had similar views.

Kwun and Janet must have been overwhelmed by your reception and despite his two painful blisters attibuted to one "grandpa", Kwun seems not to mind too much.

Thanks to the logical deduction of LB, I now know who the "crafty 16-year old folk" is and I can now place a face to the name whenever he shows up in this forum. Unfortunately, I am still at a loss as to what Kwun looks like as the pic is not too clear and there were a few guesses of the man. I assume he must be the "corner" man at the extreme left of the group pic. I managed to get into Image Station, but not the earlier one, for the pix.

It will be a great idea to have an annual around the clock, borderless, BF Day Fun Tournament where we have a good number of BFers. I'm sure Singapore will qualify and the organization of this tourney should pose not too much of a problem since we have a rather supportive badminton infrastructure and the geographical size of Singapore is no bigger than that of a big town in a big country like Canada.

Keep the BF flag flying high!

11. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Re: Slightly different topic...

I don't see too many response to this. Tim is coming down Friday (Sept 25th) and so far, no one has indicated that they can play Friday's evening. He is planning to stay in Richmond and so is open to places to play and people to play with.

12. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Unfortunately, my shoulder is still busted, so I certainly wouldn't be able to play. If someone can confirm whether the forum members will be playing at VRC or elsewhere, I'll try to see if I can drop by.

-Rick

13. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    Keep me posted. I *might* be able to play.

-dave

14. WilloW

WilloW Regular Member

Sorry, I can't make it on Friday night either. I have indoor soccer practise. Saturday night is good for me.

15. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Sorry here, dinner engagement on Friday night. :(
    Saturday night would work for me though.

16. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Okay...thanks...

what I will do is contact Tim after I get back into town Fri. evening to see when he plans to leave on Saturday and maybe arrange something for Saturday. So check this thread Fri. evening/Sat. morning.

17. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Fri and Sat works for me too! Chi Ho should be able to play on Sat . . . let's see who has the hardest smash :D.

18. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Hmmm...

I still don't know if I'm available Friday, but even if I am, it most likely won't be until after 9PM. Saturday I might be available in the morning until about 1PM or in the evening after 9PM.

Doesn't sound like anyone can commit to this weekend. Not looking good. Is there even enough people to make a doubles game? :eek:

19. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Can't believe I missed this thread! I sort of automatically filed it under "Threads Only of Regional Interest" and didn't check it until now!

It was such fun reading about your BF gathering! Wow, what a full-out badminton-o-rama!

Needless to say, I wish I'd been there! (Hey, what's that tall white guy doing in the group photo? :p )

20. txyu

txyu Regular Member

Manager Fitness Facility
    Hey all

I'm still coming down Friday....today...I'll be there around 8pm or so...

My cell phone is 250 460 0113

If anyone is playing either tonite or Saturday morn, then give me a shout...

Unfortunately, I will be leaving in the afternoon sometime so I won't be available to play Saturday night...

Winex, call or I'll call you and we'll arrange a meeting for the racquet...

TTYL
    Tim