@ Vancouver Sept 13-15....

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by kwun, Sep 5, 2003.

1. RedDog

RedDog Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    Re: Re: must be fun!

We were just there one week too early i guess. ;)
    But I'm glad you guys had so much fun.
    I wanna go next time~

PS. we had our own little badminton gathering in LA after the US Open semi-final this year too, played until 3:30am! beat you guys...ha ha!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: Re: Re: must be fun!

yes! when we were having our late night snack after the games, i realized that the last time i played till so late was exactly one year ago with you guys after the USOpen, the same exact weekend!

it has now become an annual event. :)

3. chihong

chihong Regular Member

finally got back to Vancouver.

Sorry that I couldn't stay on Sat night to play more with you guys. It was great to play with you guys on Sat afternoon.

hey Kwun, I think we partnered together well in the double game! It was particularly fun since we haven't seen each others for sooo long :) Anyway, I think you should make it an annual event and come over to every year. It was just simply too much fun.

Chi

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Hey - Let's Declare 2nd Saturday in September BF Day!

As an annual event, let's see if other BFer's from various locals create their own BF Day on this anniversary date. The objective will be:

1: Gathering of as many BFer's as possible, far and near.
    2: Number of games played must be as a minimum, that defined by the founder's endurance. I think 20 games, wasn't it?
    3: Must at least past midnight, but the later the more prestige. Kwun's record as stated during late night snack was 4-6 AM as per last years USOpen.
    4: Share a meal, either before, after or during. Or all of the above.
    5: Inflict as much physical torture to fellow BFer's during the session as humanly possible.
    6: Laugh your butt off with fun!

Fell free to modify or add to the objectives list.

Hey with technology, there must be a way we could webcam some of the events according to time zone.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    badrad, that's an excellent idea! considering the time zones spreading around the world, we can have non-stop BF badminton action for one whole day!

point 3 can be tough in some countries though.

webcam, that's an interesting idea. my cellphone has digital service which allow me to connect wirelessly with a laptop, but unfortunately that service is not available when i am Canada.

you better persuade the ppl who organize the "fun tournament" on sunday to schedule it on every 2nd sunday of september.... ;)

7. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Great pics...

...too bad I'd never did managed to hook up with you guys over the weekend. I tried getting hold of folks to see if there were anything planned for Sunday but to no avail.

Cooler managed to get hold of me and we spoke for a while but unfortunately wasn't able to hook up on Monday.

Good to hear that it was a very enjoyable evening. The pictures posted by Kwun on Imagestation are so clear that you can actually tell who's who :D

8. viver

viver Regular Member

It was really a superb night of badminton. Haven't played that many games in a long time. Got to know a few of the posters here too, which was excellent. Kwun really is a fountain of energy. Janet is not far behind playing until quite late. Cooler also was present and was happy to play a few games with him. Hope we have more of this types of gatherings. It's really starting to become a international event. :D

I still have my arms and legs sore, but worth it. Looking for more.

9. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

Just wondering, who was the youngest player in the group? I hope you guys will come and play together next year because if I do get better, I would hope to meet and play with you guys :).

10. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    fella by the name of Badrad :D from the way he plays and covers the court, you'd think he's a spry 19yr old

-dave

11. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

lol I thought he was the oldest?

12. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    What a funtastic day it was; from afternoon to evening, to the wee hours! Too bad I missed out on dinner and the first half of the evening session. I think I didn't get to meet a lot of the non-VRC guests that showed up because of it? In the afternoon it was really neat to watch the highschool reunion of ChiHong and Kwun play together. They looked like brothers! As usual, I had a blast making new friends in Kwun, Janet, and Cooler. And it's always a real pleasure to meet up with the friends I've already met in the past meetings. I also got a chance to play with some other guests although I'm not sure if they're BFers or not. All in all, a truly festive day of badminton. I only wish my average badminton session was nearly as fun! It's good to see that all the out of town friends got home safely, thank you so much for visiting us, and I hope you guys get a chance to come visit us again. You guys rock! :D:cool:

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Thanks for all the kind feedbacks. I had a wonderful time last weekend. It was a pleasure to meet up with all of you guys and gals. :) Lets aim for another gathering next year.

14. Aotis

Aotis Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys,

so who was the best badder in that group? sounds like Kwun was the man the entire time :)

15. TTT

TTT Regular Member

haha..I can tell you that I'm still the weakest player in the group...

sad...sighhhhh

16. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    nah, you were doing okay. you got some good shots, just try to remember to recover everytime you make a shot, so that you are ready for the next one.

the objective for the night was for fun and getting to know each other better. i think that we had a great chance to strengthen the ties of many of the BFer's around town. if the objectives were different like a tournament, we would all likely play differently than this social fun night.

17. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Nah, you were doing fine :).

18. TTT

TTT Regular Member

Thanks for the tip..

yup...I had fun that night...
    If the objectives were like a tournament, I'm pretty sure I'll get 1000X more birdies in the face from wood_22_chuck....heh

19. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    I apologized three times as many that I nailed you :D (unintentionally). It's just uncanny how you receive smashes with your neck/face area instead of your racket!

Good suggestion by Badrad: recovery after your shots back to a basic ready stance would help tons.

-dave

20. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    TTT: if that's a target area where you seem to be getting hit - just get into the habit of sticking your racquet in front of those spaces. You might be quickly surprised how the shot destined for your head pops back over to your opponent's side from a good block.

Also, you being relatively tall, if it's going to hit your head and you are standing at the baseline - practice your MATRIX style shuttle avoidance techniques. It's likely the shuttle is headed on it's way out of the court....