Thomas / Uber Qualification

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup Finals / Uber Cup Finals 2016' started by hcyong, Feb 18, 2016.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon

- the winner of a tie should be based on the numbers of games won in the five matches rather than the number of matches won.

- The current Order of Play is simply no good. How can the third best player of a country be in the finale and decide the fate of the entire country?? I think any one of the following orders is better than the current one:

(i) random just like Davis Cup in Tennis, or​
    (ii) random, but with alternating singles and doubles, or​
    (iii) reverse strength, eg, MS3, MD2, MS2, MD1, MS1​

#41 pcll99, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  2. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Davis cup is never random.. On Friday, morning it's always MS1 followed by MS2 while on Sunday morning reverse, the host MS1 always starts

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    #43 pcll99, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  4. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

So,basically the worst players or third & second best players/pairs of each department decide the fate of the tie.Your circle pulls a full stop on where it began?

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    If the total number of games won in all five matches is used to determine the winner of a tie, i don't see too much of a problem.

6. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    We keep on thinking for new ideas and ifs and buts also our affection towards innovation and change is inevitable!!
    I just don't find any problem with the current rules and it goes well! As aforementioned team championish should be won by a team who has depth as well as consistency and the current format tests that quite well!!
    Also if we look at the Davis cup format any team need two good players and a MD for say, a team with LD and CL shouldn't worry about anything not even doubles!!
    As much as I like singles this format will restrict the doubles importance which is eqully thrilling if not more!! Reversing the order is an even worse idea!!
    The order of play can be random with alternating doubles and singles but MS1 should always start the campaign!! Just my opinions

7. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Nine Tailed Fox has a strong affinity toward CHN. He is the ultimate CHN fanboy

8. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
  9. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    In Davis Cup tbh a Switzerland, Serbia or GBR simply has no business calling themselves WCs based on 1 and a half to two good players over great all round teams like Spain, France and Czech Republic

10. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Maybe, but my emphasis on China was a mere example to clear my point!! This isn't about CHN or any other team it's more about the future of our own TC/UC

11. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Agreed!! Atleast GBR's victory(if not Switzerland or Serbia) is an eminent evidence of how week if not incorrect are the DC regulations!! How can a team win the supposedly prestigious "Team championships" just by giving a lil extra strain to Andy Murray's legs!
    This is why i am affirmative about TC/UC rules

12. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Yup, keep it this way. 3 singles and 2 doubles. I don't see better options.

13. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Change it into 4 singles and 3 doubles. It used to be like that once upon a time.

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i have a better idea. Keep the fixed alternating order: MS, MD, MS, MD and MS...

But the coach can decide who to field for the next match after and depending on the result of the just-concluded match!!

#54 pcll99, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The problem is having 4 singles and 3 doubles will unduly disadvantaged the weaker and/or resource-poor member associations, who would probably end up having their singles playing doubles as well, and vice versa.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I myself will love to see all five matches played for the knockpout stage from QFs to the Finals. The problem is how to make it viable, worthwhile and interesting enough in the sense that the two sides will still go all out to win even when the outcome is already known, hence academic.

Off hand, I was thinking about awarding lucrative prize money for each match won so that even if the result is already decided, i.e. 3-0 or 3-1, the remaining matches are played for the money. Hopefully, the players concerned are motivated enough by the monetary rewards (and perhaps out of pride as well) to put up a good fight.

17. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    ^ I think I would like that too

18. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Ok, then have it like that for SF and F or at least for the final, no random nation will reach SF, and if so some of the coaches have to play MD3 and MS4 :p

19. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
    Thomas Cup Qualifiers and Seeding List
    Thomas Cup Seeding List.jpg

Uber Cup Qualifiers and Seeding List
    Uber Cup Seeding List.jpg

Attached Files:

20. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
    DEFENDING CHAMPIONS JAPAN SEEDED 5TH FOR THOMAS CUP

04 MARCH, 2016 - CONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, THOMAS & UBER CUP
    TEXT BY DEV SUKUMAR | BADMINTONPHOTO

The list of 16 qualifiers each for the TOTAL BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals, to be held in Kunshan (China) in May this year, has been finalised. Thomas Cup defending champions Japan are seeded 5/8, while hosts China are top-seeded in both competitions.

The winners of the five continental team championships and semi-finalists of Asia and Europe, besides the hosts and defending champions, were assured of qualification. The remaining teams in the final list of 16 were selected based on total points of their highest-ranked three singles players and two doubles pairs as of 3 March 2016.

Thus, Malaysia, Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong and Thailand qualified on the basis of total ranking points, and will join China (hosts), Japan (defending champions; featured image) and continental champions Denmark (Europe), Indonesia (Asia), Mexico (Pan Am), South Africa (Africa) and New Zealand (Oceania). Other semi-finalists from Asia and Europe – Korea, India, England, Germany and France – also qualified.

The draw will be made on 21 March 2016 in Kunshan.

Seeding is based on total ranking points. China, with total ranking points of 379132, are top seeds, while Denmark (330171) are seeded second. Korea (305570) and Indonesia (279614) are 3/4 seeds. The 5/8 seeds are Japan (269608), Malaysia (241788), India (226171) and Chinese Taipei (225742). The remaining teams are seeded 9/16.

In the Uber Cup, China qualified as hosts, defending champions and winners of the continental team championships. Other continental winners Denmark (Europe), USA (Pan Am), Australia (Oceania) and Mauritius (Africa) also qualified, alongside semi-finalists from Asia and Europe – Japan, Korea, Thailand, Germany, Spain and Bulgaria.

Five teams made it on the basis of their world ranking points: India, Indonesia, Chinese Taipei, Malaysia and Hong Kong.

China, with 361084 points are seeded 1; Japan (301384) are seeded 2. The 3/4 seeds are Korea and Thailand, while the 5/8 seeds are India, Indonesia, Chinese Taipei and Denmark. All other teams are seeded 9/16.

List of qualifiers and seedings:

Thomas Cup: China (1), Denmark (2); Korea, Indonesia (3/4); Japan, Malaysia, India, Chinese Taipei (5/8); Hong Kong, Thailand, England, Germany, France, Mexico, South Africa, New Zealand (9/16)

Uber Cup: China (1), Japan (2); Korea, Thailand (3/4); India, Indonesia, Chinese Taipei, Denmark (5/8); Germany, Malaysia, Spain, Hong Kong, USA, Bulgaria, Australia, Mauritius (9/16)

Source: http://bwfbadminton.com/2016/03/04/defending-champions-japan-seeded-5th-for-thomas-cup/