The Real Story Behind Taufik and Lin Dan

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by quisitor, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    I dont think the service was different from any other occasion..
    LD is usual with his service and can be quite cunning with his serve, he do quick flickserve to catch his opponent off guard.. but I thought TH's services was just as ordinary as well.. as he always tend to serve short mixing it up with wide and T serve...
    But whats definatly different with TH's game was he vary all his shots, tricking his opponent quite a number of time.. just finished watching his match against BCL.. its wow... unbelievable

2. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

I think Taufik is a smart player: he's not as 'overcoached' as Lin, and knows Lin to play the orthodox game on return of serve... But lin, though an exceptional athlete is not a great returner on the backhand side and that cost him. Ultimately, Lin has such an exceptional level of fitness/ agility it compensates for a lot of weaknesses. Would rate the skills of Taufik as superior (but Lin is stronger). So Taufik is a gambler in this match, and as TH's backhand is so legendary, and Lin doesn't want to play crosscourt, it makes sense to play him there

3. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

....backhand vs backhand (left hander vs right hander)

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

There has to be some minor flaw in a person's game when

leading 20-10 or sth against LCW & 20-18 against Th and still losing.

Th was struggling against LCW in semis,LD is still learning and improving.

TH is older and wiser, that is the magic of the 21 point scoring system,

gives opportunities for players with good strokes and fine touches to win

in some tournaments.

5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

LIN DAN now knows he has someone to contend with : TAUFIK.

Yes, Christmas comes early for Taufik. Even LCW admitted freely that Taufik is the man to beat.

So, can we expect more of the same from the man ? I think Taufik 'chooses' to play his best games when he is ready -- especially the 'big' games, e.g. Olympics, World, etc. Looking at his Asian gold medal match, the guy lifted to a higher level and there is this look in his eyes that he wants to win. He has shown us that if he wanted to win, it will be bloody hard to beat him.

So I think he will continue to do what he has done before : lose a few and call on his 'special reserve' for the big game that he wants to win. In my mind, he has show that he can beat all the players in the current circuit. He is the BEST --- no two ways about it !

#25 X Ball, Dec 11, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  6. nanofans

nanofans Regular Member

That sounds...:eek: :cool:
    According to your logic, TH didn't go all out to try to beat LD in team events. Instead, he kept eyes on LD's move and actions and forget to win the match then 'gave away' the team gold medal to China, just to 'focus' on MS?
    May I say he's selfish, which I consider much worse than 'arrogant' if you are correct?:D

7. nanofans

nanofans Regular Member

And... I find it interesting to read people's reactions after AG MS.
    What if, LD made 1 point progress after 20:17? (dont tell me it's impossible)
    What if, the game was brought to the rubber set?
    What if, LD won the 3rd set and became the new AG champion? (even TH himself admitted that he had less chance in 3rd set)

Then gentlemen, do we still have so many emphasis on TH's 'experience', 'smart', 'good net touch', 'well prepared', 'mental maturity'... etc. ? Can we see any LD's 'fault', 'nervousness' if he won all 3 encounters?

Come on guys, don't make judgements just by the known results.
    TH lost because that's a game. LD lost also because that's a game, but unfortunetly, the final game of MS gold.

8. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    I thought the review and replies was quite neutral and fair so far....
    LD was playing quite well in 2nd game, alot of us here acknowledged that..
    No doubt he could have grab gold if it went to rubber set.. however that didn't happened really.. so its the similar dilemma he suffered against LCW in MO06... so is it wrong to make a detail analysis of the game base on what we saw?:confused:

9. nanofans

nanofans Regular Member

Actually I learnt from the technical analysis here. :p
    What I am talking about is just a general feeling that we can be too happy to have exaggarated the 'bright side of force' by the victory of our favorite players. Or the 'dark side' will overwhelm when they lose.;)

10. ChompChomp

ChompChomp Regular Member

ok ok maybe taufik was a little lucky to have easy win on the last few points in 2nd set which lin dan gave away with unforce error (but not the winning point) so what?
    so what if lin dan win taufik?
    in future when u look at OG gold, AG gold or maybe some "BIG" tournament whose name will be there HAHAHA

lin dan might win taufik a few times, or win so many people all the time...
    but taufik just need to win at the right place, right time, right style and will be remember forever HAHAHA

11. nanofans

nanofans Regular Member

Yes, you exactly got my point.:p China got 120+ golds in this AG. So what?
    TH beat LD in AG MS final, that is to say he's better than LD in that game, and vice vesa. Nothing else.

I can sense the subtle mental advantage of TH over LD, part from the honor he got, and part from the difference of pressure behind. And I recognize his net and backhand skill as the best in the world. What I don't agree is the saying 'if he wants, he gets'. I don't want people to admit that TH didn't beat LD in team events because that's not the right place, right time, and the victory of INA team will not be remembered forever so he 'didnt want'. LOL:D

If you initiate a poll out of BC or badminton fans, whoever can tell who's TH and who's LD? Do you know who's the gold medal winner of 2004 OG Marathon?:p

Back to my points, who's better than whom, is it really important? They brought us the pleasure of great games. That's enough.

12. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I kinda disagree somewhat even though you rightly claim it was a pleasure watching them play at that level.

To me, I watched because it was Taufik (the underdog) beating LD (the supremist, having almost everything this year) that was important. I would not have watched if it was a match with "BAO vs LD" or "LD vs CJ" in it.

So it is important to know "who's better than whom" (as per your statement above). :D

13. nanofans

nanofans Regular Member

then honestly, congrat to u TH fans for he's better this time :)
    actually it's odd although I support LD I am using TH strategies(net play and kills, backhand drops, doesn't mean I am not capable of jump smash) to defeat a friend who's supporting TH and favors all kinds of smashes... LOL:D

14. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

U should use whatever makes u win ! :) Also, get LYB as coach coz he is good at supporting his players (he belittles/softens your opponents for you !). LOL

15. jumpjump

jumpjump Regular Member

tell Lin dan's coaches to enhance lin's backhand, if they can do it in two years time....before olympics...we will have the greatest rivalry in badminton.hehe...

16. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    talking about olympics, i think peter gade is thinking of ending his career at the 2008 olympics, if im not wrong

17. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    does enhance mean train??? :confused:

Lin Dan trained his backhand alot after MO05, before, whenever he played a backhand he would then lose the rally! :eek: but still need improving :rolleyes: :confused:

18. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

No "enhance" means extend his backhand bigger and longer. :D

19. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    oh! --! --! --! ignore my post then :p :crying: :( :eek:

anyways, when he drops his hand does need to "enhance" alot more :p always play it low :D hehe :)

20. jerby

jerby Regular Member

no offense, but the chinese coach probably noticed LD's backhand isn't the best...

But to spend train it more than he already does (wich I guess is a lot..) would onyl take time away from enhancing (;) ) his strong-points: speed and power...

I think his netgame should improve..because (at that level) you can't win a match with 21 clears to a backhandside..LD's fast enough to take 80% around the head, so I doubt the backhand was the biggest hinderance..
    Though at the net, it's 9/10 times in favor of Taufik...Taufik always managed to earn (!) a lift, and thus the advantage.