The Real Story Behind Taufik and Lin Dan

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by quisitor, Dec 11, 2006.

1. JPPPHIL

JPPPHIL Regular Member

Millionaire/jobless
    At the end of the day, its the results that counts.
    If you agree with me. one cant be correct all the time.
    A guy that turns form 3 billion in red and then 4 billion in the black in just over 3-4 years..lucky ?? you gotta work very hard to get your luck...
    Just like Chelsea and MU., they start great, but Liverpool is the one dats in the final, 2nd time in 3 years.. the BEST team ?? the Best team is sitting at home watching the others play. have agreat day...

2. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Both TH and LD are good players with 'colorful' characters in their own respective way and that's why they draw so much interest from the media & fans.
    However, at the AO '06, TH did the unexpected when he made some comments about LD which caught everybody offguard. If the media & fans were 'surprised/shocked", what more about LD. esp. when LD had once said that he has high respect for TH. Emotionally, LD was affected much as he tried to brush off that statement when approached by the media and I believe it affected his performance throughout the AO.
    Sadly at the SO recently, TH was asked about his relationship with LD & I am glad that TH has come to his senses and gave a positive reply.
    It's understandable that fans idolise their favourite player/s but I believe that if we do not have anything good/nice to say about other players/fans, it's best to say the least. For me, without these good players, tournaments would be less interesting.

3. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

Even though I'm a big fan of Taufik, most people here are way too subjective. You can't be number 1 in the world if you have a single big weakness, and in my opinion every other player has more weaknesses than LD. The difference between a good player and a truly great player is consistency and dominance, and LD is well on his way to becoming a great player because he has been no. 1 for a while now. However Taufik has many weaknesses, mainly his inconsistency and lack of fitness. Although Taufik is exceptionally talented, he doesn't make the most of it, and I would not consider him as a badminton great until he can become world number 1 and hold onto it.

When Taufik says that he doesn't care about rankings, just winning tournaments, I think it's an awful attitude. Someone who is really passionate about badminton would want to become as good as they can and win as much as they can, I can't imagine any Tennis player having this type of attitude. If Taufik really was passionate about badminton, I could have seen him becoming the "Federer" of badminton and have dominated for the last few years, because noone else in the world even comes near him in terms of talent and instinct.

4. JPPPHIL

JPPPHIL Regular Member

Millionaire/jobless
    Loppy.,

YOu wont enjoy that much anymore if LD wins everything.
    Federer, Tiger Woods, Sorenstam,Graf.,
    Arent you sick to hear Tiger wins another one and Federer and and...
    thats bad for any sport events.
    let others havd a chance. cheers..

5. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Lin Dan is up there with my favourite players but I rarely cheer for him as he wins enough anyway. It's always going to mean a lot more to the player who beats Lin Dan than to Lin Dan when he wins yet another match. Of course Lin Dan deserves to win when he does but I do enjoy a bit of variety. That's why I was so pleased when I saw the results of the Singapore Open.

6. kimpe_bultang

kimpe_bultang Regular Member

hmmm, athlete and student
    Taufik got good mental.. He's not easily shaken... Btw, a chinese website said that, Lin Dan fear to meet Taufik Hidayat.. And that comes from Lin's mouth, no joke... And, Taufik was the first man to be fear of by the chinese players and coaches... Almost the same as Hendri Saputra, Yang Yang searched for him (other players too), when he suddenly disappeared, coz of liver illness... Yang Yang never won him, lost 2 times..

7. Chire

Chire Regular Member

Well actually when Taufik chose not to play in a tournament (All England 2007 I think) Lin Dan actually stated in a press conference that he was rather disappointed as he thought it would've been interesting to play him.

Chinese web pages, or web pages in general can say whatever they want, there might actually be no truth behind the statements there are as practically anyone can put it up there.

#67 Chire, May 12, 2007
    Last edited: May 12, 2007
  8. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah I think Taufik and Lin Dan enjoy the challenge of playing each other.

9. kimpe_bultang

Taufik didn't go to All England 2007, why? Because he was annoyed by PBSI, and tried to protest... Anyway, we've disscussed abt this somewhere in the other threads, lol... I frgt which...
    Lin Dan IS quite afraid of Taufik, since Taufik is the only one that can beat him (when Lin's fit)... And, abt the chinese website, they interviewed Lin Dan himself.. And he did confess..

I am sure that they enjoy their games against each other, but we rarely see a game that is complete right? I mean, there was a time that Taufik walked out of the court bcoz of the line judge.. And all sorts of things... However, between their mental strength, Taufik got a better mental than Lin... :D

10. Chire

Chire Regular Member

I tend to think otherwise. I think Lin Dan has way better mental than Taufik. The HK controversal line call proves my point really well - Taufik walking out just after the first controversal call in the match, the situation being like, 4-3 in the first set? Plus LD often loses the first set against almost any good player, but manages to win the second by a thin margin. That's really some nerves he's got!

And I don't really get it why everyone says LD actually fears TH, when he himself says the contrary - he's looking forward to playing Taufik again. And Taufik isn't the only one who's capable of beating Lin Dan, there are lots of good players that occasionally are able to win against LD.

11. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

the story behind taufik and lin dan

{Chire quote}And I don't really get it why everyone says LD actually fears TH, when he himself says the contrary - he's looking forward to playing Taufik again. And Taufik isn't the only one who's capable of beating Lin Dan, there are lots of good players that occasionally are able to win against LD.

I see your point. Sometimes the media puts forward questions in such a way that players are in an awkward position eg once a journalist asked LD whether he is confident of playing PG. If you are in a hurry, you will just give a 'yes' or 'no' answer. LD said 'yes' & he was perceived to be arrogant. The media didn't elaborate that when PG played CH at one time, LD remarked that he admired PG for his patience & endurance, doesn't play like a typical European.
    Sometimes players & coaches make careless statements and once picked up by the media, they go beserk. Fans also have their own perceptions which others picked up as nothing but the truth.
    For me, I just want to appreciate TH & LD for having made badminton more enjoyable in their own unique ways.

#71 Joyous, May 15, 2007
    Last edited: May 15, 2007
  12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    *cough*
    mentally weak doesnt mean LD afraid TH, that would an exaggeration or myth created by taufik fans. LD had lost to alot of players, is LD afraid of them too?
    In cases where LD unexpectedly lost because i believe is the pressure from his countrymen, not taufik, gade, lee HI or any other opponents.

Taufik fans have an one way view of things. So, if taufik lost, is he afraid of those players? Or one of the list of many other reasons of losing LOL

13. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Cooler you know you really don't have to constantly go on about "Taufik fans". You make a lot of generalisations... You also don't seem to be able to see your own bias toward Lin Dan. And in that, I hardly think you're supporting the point of your posts.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    can u be more specific, mr. specific?

15. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Nope I don't see why I need to? I'm not pointing at any specific post or anything. It should be quite obvious what I'm talking about.

#75 phaarix, May 16, 2007
    Last edited: May 16, 2007
  16. kimpe_bultang

I'm no fans of Taufik and Lin.. But, really, it's the truth.. I'm not like, posting it just for fun.. Regarding Taufik walking off the game when it was ard 4-3, he was not happy bcs of the line judge's decision... I mean, he's got quite a bad temper, and he doesn't like unfair judgements, that's why he did not wish to continue the game..

When they are like, playing their best games, in their prime condition, it's very hard to beat these two... And, Taufik's type of game is really dangerous for Lin, as Lin plays a fast offensive game, while Taufik plays a defense but can suddenly attack kind of game.. TH plays more with mind... Just like how Boonsak plays...

17. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    All i know is they r badminton player,n they are both human,with 2 different personalities.I'm sure u get what i mean.

18. kimpe_bultang

Yeah.. I get it, Smichz... :)

19. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Are u pro in badminton well done man!!

20. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Couldn't agree with you any better as I think I have said something similar like that many times - human with different personalities. Ha..ha.. one likes to talk beyond boundaries and the other.....let his emotions speak.