The BC chamber of stringing horrors

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Aug 2, 2016.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You sir, are a snob! :p

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Dissing stringers for changing grommets with some tools from a hardware shop instead of buying a fancy Yonex grommet tool... :( I need to flare now grommets with a prick punch and a candle until my hands turn black, otherwise I get lashes...

swsh likes this.
  3. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Hardly good sir! The amount of rackets I have versus myself changing my own grommets all the time including cutting and flaring, I figured spending on the tool would be kinder to my hands as compared to a screw or screw driver
    Noooooooooo

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

s_mair likes this.
  4. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

I found this fake N9II and was looking at the robust grommet and wondered if they're better compared to the regular ones.
    N9II.jpg

5. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Not necessarily. They could look robust but the material itself may not even be dense enough. Everything is an illusion until you stress it.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

badmintony likes this.
  6. badmintony

The seller though was honest enough in clarifying to queries about the racket that it isn't original but a "1:1 premium spec":D
    How clever these fakers are getting lately. "Fake" or "clone" sounds cheap, so why not just say "1:1 premium specs".

7. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I think you're very lucky that there was no lasting damage to the racquet (your AX88S) because of the stringer's mistakes stringing without a grommet. At 27lbs that could have easily been a sunken frame if the frame was soft. If the frame cracked I doubt you could even get a replacement because it is your stringer's fault and they would be able to see it instantly. Do you not have access to some certified yonex stringers in your area? It's not worth cheaping out on stringing when you pay so much for the racquets.

8. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

9. badmintony

Lucky indeed and thankful to the guys here especially visor for advising me to cut it right away. I would've insisted on playing with it as it was and could've damaged the frame. Unfortunately, having a certified yonex stringer here would be a luxury, although I've had my rackets strung by a very experienced stringer before i relocated for work. There are also some other shop stringers that are good but this crappy one that messed up with my rackets was an exception.

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

visor likes this.
  10. badmintony

11. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    It would fit on everything. 2.1 for small single pass holes and 2.6 for shared holes is the standard across all rackets. Ignoring the grommet strips ofc.

In cases of emergency I did however yank out the grommet strip and use normal 2.1 and 2.6 grommets on the racket (zf2).

badmintony likes this.
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

They fit Li-Ning and also Yonex rackets perfectly. They sit a bit loosely on Victor rackets though. So you have to be careful that they don't get pulled out of the hole when the string is tensioned.

Quality of these Li-Nings is great though.

badmintony likes this.
  13. badmintony

14. badmintony

Last question before I push the nuclear button: does this kit contain long and short U-grommets?

15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

No. It only contains single hole grommets of two sizes. 2.1 mm diameter for single pass holes, and 2.6 mm for shared holes. Both are really long, so you have to cut them to the needed lengths when they sit in the racket.

If you really want to go the easy way, then simply order a pack of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...048.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.63e22d0abscnmT

It contains pretty much all needed sizes and lengths and also both U-shaped double grommets. Quality is decent too as long as you don't go to 30+ lbs. regularly. There's another cheaper pack from the same seller, but this one uses higher quality base material.

16. badmintony

Too bad i thought the li-ning grommets' quality are really good but no u ones. I did order already from aliexpress, but only 20 pcs of i grommets, both long and short. And it claims to be of high quality made in taiwan. But i might change my mind and would also go for this single pass ones. Who knows, i might need them eventually.

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

To be honest, normally you shouldn't need to worry at all about grommets if you're not a stringer. Every halfway decent stringer has spare grommets at hand - there's hardly one racket which is not brand new that gets on my machine without changing a couple of grommets. But if you're expecting more adventures there in the future and want to be on the safe side, then get yourself one of those full sets and live happily ever after. Better be safe than sorry.

badmintony likes this.
  18. badmintony

I see the wisdom of your words master yoda. I shall push the button then and nuke my wallet to kingdom come

s_mair likes this.
  19. badmintony