The BC chamber of stringing horrors

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Aug 2, 2016.

1. guitar_pic

guitar_pic Regular Member

MIS Sales Consultant
    Why not just show the stringer the issue and have it redone? Even if it does not affect your playing too much, it would teach the person to be more careful.

2. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Might do that but that would also mean me spending another NBG98 for the rework:(

This is why more and more lately I've been contemplating on investing in a machine and learnig how to string myself so that I have full quality control on my racket's string jobs.

3. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I think the weird thing is having the mains tied off at the top.

Wouldn't that mean that he missed an odd number of strings or that he added an odd number of strings? Or is my head messed up thinking about this?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

4. guitar_pic

MIS Sales Consultant
    Why would you need to spend money on strings again? It's the stringer's mistake.......he should own up to the mistake, restring the racket at no extra cost. I don't think that being unreasonable........

swsh, s_mair, Cheung and 1 other person like this.
  5. badmintony

Well unless I'll just have to settle with his BG65. He doesn't have NBG98.

This is the same guy that I suspect was responsible for the missing grommet of my AX88S. I can't be sure though if indeed he was or
    it was shuttle house where I got the AX88. But as a stringer, he should've told me about it unless he just forget to notify or he was really responsible for the loss.

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

That big part without weaving is an absolute no-go. Every stringer usually checks the racket for that straight after stringing. Experienced stringers notice it immediately while stringing if it occurs.

7. badmintony

I agree. This isn't my regular guy and maybe his stringer credentials is that of a part time bedroom stringer.

8. guitar_pic

MIS Sales Consultant
    Understood. But if you show him the racket and explain what the issues are, then he should be the one offering to make the situation right. Unless he is an total a-hole......if so then just tell him to give you a partial refund and never use him again, and also tell your friends about him so they don't give him their rackets to string up as well.

9. badmintony

I just messaged him about it and hopefully he replies favorably. Will definitely caution my clubmates to watch out for this guy for their stringing needs.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

There's so many other stringers... you don't want to use him again. Who knows what other problems will occur in the future? It's not worth the risk.

guitar_pic likes this.
  11. guitar_pic

MIS Sales Consultant
    Agreed. Plus, that first issue with your 88s should have tipped you off about him. Any competent stringer would not have pulled on a hole with no grommet. That's just asking for the frame to crack...........

12. badmintony

Noted guys and thanks for your advices. I'll post the hole in a little while.

13. badmintony

Here are the photos. It's really kind of odd that it was like a single grommet was forcedfully inserted on those slots supposedly for the missing U grommet. And the stringer didn't bother on this???

4.jpg
    5.jpg

14. guitar_pic

MIS Sales Consultant
    That's terrible. most stringers will have a case of spare grommets like the different singles and u shaped ones. The u ones next to the shaft are not the same size as the one after.

At the very least, he should have put in 2 singles instead of one single and then one hole without any grommet............

Mind you......if the u grommet was missing from day one then the issue should have been dealt with at the place you bought the racket at.

15. badmintony

Problem is, i wasn't able to check on the racket's u grommet when i received the racket. The stringer just replied and he was claiming that when he received the racket, the u grommet is missing already but i'm kind of doubtful about that. He told me that he tried to replace it with that oddball single grommet and assuming he was telling the truth, he still did a sloppy job replacing only one and leaving the other hole grommetless?? And he should've informed me just like what the regular guys do to whom i've always had my rackets strung whenever there's a problem. Altho he agreed to fix the problem, i doubt i'll ever go back to him.

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

guitar_pic likes this.
  16. guitar_pic

MIS Sales Consultant
    Honestly, if he saw that u grommet missing he should have held off on stringing up the racket so that you can deal with the place you got the racket from. You could have swapped the racket, or at least have gotten a replacement grommet.

badmintony likes this.
  17. badmintony

I just asked him if he has any extra u grommet. If he doesn't have any, i'll just order from mbs, hopefully i can find one that would fit the holes. Any idea what might be useful for this? I've checked already from mbs and they have for dzs, vtzf2, some for nanorays. I hope that some grommets for these rackets would be suitable as well for ax88.

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

18. guitar_pic

MIS Sales Consultant
  19. visor

visor Regular Member

Just transplant a u shaped grommet from another racket that is less used.

20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Wow, that is stringing horror at its finest. Misweaves do happen now and then, but that one is HUGE! Although the other things are far more concerning - how the hell can he get the mains to tie off at the top? Only possibility I see is that he did the mains side-to-side and started at the top (for only stringing satan might now the reason why...).
    But looking at those ugly knots, I can also imagine that it was supposed to be a 1-piece job, the string snapped during the job (on that missing grommet perhaps?!) and that he "repaired" it later on with a leftover part of the string. And that repair started and finished at the top and hence the two extra knots there. And thinking about it further, this could also explain the misweave.

Also I think it's obvious that he had noticed that missing U-grommet there but decided to continue the string job anyway. You have to look really closely when you thread the string through a grommet, so no way he could have overlooked that on both holes. A stringer who doesn't have U-grommets available to fix this? Ridiculous.

Summary: For the sake of god and your precious rackets, please never use this stringer again and look for a better one. He is a butcher with no conscience.

#260 s_mair, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    badmintony likes this.