Super series in 2011

Discussion in '2011 Tournaments' started by huangkwokhau, Mar 19, 2010.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Cost to compete affects some countries..

..i was also thinking abt the cost factor, esp. affordable accommodation, side expenses and food expenses for players from Asia/SE Asia who want to travel overseas. Not only for Swiss Open but the other European tourneys. Those players from Asian/SE Asian region might find it a bit more pricey to play outside of Asia/SE Asia in comparison to say players coming from Europe to play in SE Asia/Asia region (foreign exchange value).
    Case in point, the recent WJC in Mexico. Eventhough Mexico is a 3rd world country, there were still many Asian players/association who find it hard and expensive to travel all the way there to compete.
    On the other hand, European/U.S. players probably can still bear the cost.
    Maybe that's one of the reasons why BWF and badminton tend to stay more on the Asian continent side for their major tourneys..

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    This is a valid point.

Perhaps the prize money can be extended wider to even those who qualified and made it to the first round to help the lesser known players pay for their expenses, if this has not been done already.

3. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    There has been Con and Pro among players itself...Top players prefer no money on 1st round and less known players do want it.
    BWF has dilemma and Players representative had the input for BWF..( I forgot Canadian guy, a former player and husband of Anne Rice), recently went for a meeting with BWF council in KL.

In my opinion, for Premier,,they should award 1st round loser with prize money.
    So far Jakarta provides the cheapest hotel rate among SS...even Singapore is very expensive..last year the hotel rate is about US$ 240..( if I am not wrong and SBA is trying to negotiate the rate and the problem it is summmer time and peak season in Singapore)

4. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Hopefully we will see the rules and sanctions for Premier of SS...

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    It is cheaper to book the hotel directly than to go thru the association at times. I noticed that the association charge higher hotel rates. Anyway I support the notion that 1st rd losers also get prize money. Even golf and tennis does that if I'm not mistaken.

6. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Tennis provides prize money even in qualifying round but for GOLF...you have to be qualified ( from cut off) otherwise you get nothing

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yes. Golf..once you pass thru the qualifying in the masters...prize money more than our super series 1st prize winner.

8. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    lol..this is so much true....they don't have to be the champ,just qualify and that'll beat SS prize money...:eek::eek:

9. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    p-p-p-p-a-r-i-sssss !!!

10. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker

lol..no ... Pi...... H.......;)

11. geebees90

geebees90 Regular Member

Student
    I personally think that there should be at least 1000-1500$ in the Korean Premiere for first round players and atleast $1000 in other super series, So players like Petr Koukal, Scot Evans and many other who are playing without or less funding will be able to afford playing more and more and it will encourage them to keep up Badminton....BWF is taking positive steps now, I wish the prize money for each Premiere reach at least $1million by next years, then the PROS will enjoy Badminton even more, Fans too.

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Bobby Milroy from BPF..
    ..i'm waiting to see that list as well..

13. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Been told that BWF is trying to get China to increase the prize money for their SS Premier...

14. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Badzine reported that it is confirmed that Swiss Open is scheduked after ALL ENGLAND, not India Open which has been hinted previously..been told Swiss is planning to have it GOLD GP...
    India Open SS is scheduled on week 18...all SS and premier has not been finalized yet but INA Open will be June 26 after SIN Open ( June 19)

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

June 08, 2010

Ami Afriatni

Djarum Strikes Up a Deal to Sponsor Indonesia Open

Until regulations prohibiting tobacco companies from sponsoring sports events are put in place, Indonesia Open organizers are more than happy to do business with PT Djarum.

Under a recently signed three-year deal, the cigarette company will provide the $600,000 prize money at the Indonesia Open starting next year, when the tournament is introduced as part of the inaugural Premier Series.

“Through the Premier Series, we want to show the world that our country can host a tournament with substantial prize money,” Djarum director Yan Haryadi said at a news conference on Tuesday. “It will give Indonesia prestige in the badminton community.”

Yan said that Djarum, which is sponsoring this month’s Indonesia Open Super Series, wanted to demonstrate its commitment to badminton despite what he called a growing domestic campaign against tobacco use.

Last month, the Health Ministry said it was drafting a proposal to ban cigarette companies from communicating directly with consumers, including through promotions.

“The Badminton World Federation has not issued any regulation banning us from sponsoring a tournament,” Yan said. “Should the BWF make a decision against this kind of sponsorship, then we will back out.”
    ------------------------------------------
    *Read completely -- http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/badminton/djarum-strikes-up-a-deal-to-sponsor-indonesia-open/379496

16. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

June 08, 2010

Ami Afriatni

Djarum Strikes Up a Deal to Sponsor Indonesia Open

Until regulations prohibiting tobacco companies from sponsoring sports events are put in place, Indonesia Open organizers are more than happy to do business with PT Djarum.

Under a recently signed three-year deal, the cigarette company will provide the $600,000 prize money at the Indonesia Open starting next year, when the tournament is introduced as part of the inaugural Premier Series.

“Through the Premier Series, we want to show the world that our country can host a tournament with substantial prize money,” Djarum director Yan Haryadi said at a news conference on Tuesday. “It will give Indonesia prestige in the badminton community.”

Yan said that Djarum, which is sponsoring this month’s Indonesia Open Super Series, wanted to demonstrate its commitment to badminton despite what he called a growing domestic campaign against tobacco use.

Last month, the Health Ministry said it was drafting a proposal to ban cigarette companies from communicating directly with consumers, including through promotions.

“The Badminton World Federation has not issued any regulation banning us from sponsoring a tournament,” Yan said. “Should the BWF make a decision against this kind of sponsorship, then we will back out.”
    ------------------------------------------
    *Read completely -- http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/badminton/djarum-strikes-up-a-deal-to-sponsor-indonesia-open/379496

17. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Thanks alot to Djarum..
    They are very dedicated in badminton..
    espc they have produce so many world class athlete..
    like mky,febe,hayom,shend,meili,susi,aneke,anisa,rian,yonathan,many else..

18. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

i'm jusit reading the last few posts and i don't get it.aren't previous indonisians opens sposnored by the same jarum cigarrettes company for sevalral years already?

19. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Several years already..

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Not surprised to find Malaysia missing out staging a Premier Badminton Super Series

From what I see, BWF would accept the biddings from countries wanting to host the 5 Premier Super Series according to these 2 priorities;
    * Best prize monies offered, and
    * Excellent venues where Badminton can be staged.

It has not much to do with;
    * How popular Badminton is for a country, and
    * How much Badminton history a country has.

It's similar to the running of F1 (car) Grand Prix events.

If what I see is correct, I am not surprised to find Malaysia staging a F1 Grand Prix event, but missing out on staging a Premier Super Series Badminton event.