Super series in 2011

Discussion in '2011 Tournaments' started by huangkwokhau, Mar 19, 2010.

1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    lol
    let just wait and see how cai/fu or lin dan cope with minimum 8 ss/pss next year(include team event and wc will be 10)

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    12 tournaments per year

I think they should be OK, even including the CBL. It's only like 12 tournaments per year. :):):)

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    how many international tournament did them participate from 2008 until now?

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

As for the Chinese team and the CBSL schedule, yes, they are still planning to hold the CBSL next yr. If the CBSL schedule occurs like during this yr (from May/June til Aug.), then the only PSS and SS which will be affected during that time are the Indonesia Open PSS and the S'pore Open SS.
    I feel CHN will try to send some of their top players to those 2 SS and somehow work out its CBSL schedule.

5. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    BWF has to do more things:

aRanking points
    It is a joke,,..I have complained about it...current SS winer is 9200 points..for Premier is 9700 points..only 500 points more
    b. Injury/retire
    Current BWF's rule that you can retire in one mtach but you cna play next one..this does not make sense and loophole for foul play..
    For example during Macau Open:
    LHJ injured her back and decided to retire her XD match but she could play WD which she retired too.so we asked Referee and she said that the rules said that a player retires from one match and can play other disciplin..in tennis..if you retire in double..you can play single or vice versa.....

I have asked Korean team why LHJ had to play WD as she retired from her XD? the answer was LHJ needs to be examined by doctor and the procedure is quite long so she decided to play one or two points and retired...and much easier....

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

They should at least bring this issue up when the bidding for premier SS is on.
    Perhaps BWF would consider make it as a Premier SS Event.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The "real" reason why Malaysia were denied the hosting rights

Looks like you have missed this article;

====== * ====== start parts of article ====== * ======

Thursday, July 15th, 2010

KUALA LUMPUR: The Badminton World Federation (BWF) have spoken, yet the BA of Malaysia (BAM) were adamant to unearth the "real" reason why they were denied the hosting rights to the Premier Super Series from 2011-2013.

It seems there are efforts to raise this matter during the Super Series host nations meeting which may be during the World Championships in Paris next month.

BWF announced two months ago that Malaysia will not host the prestigious event. It was earlier learnt that BAM failed to submit a proper proposal to the world body.

====== * ====== end parts of article ====== * ======

Source: http://www.mmail.com.my/content/43179-whats-real-deal

#169 chris-ccc, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

I see.. thanks for the info.. looks like Bam is at fault then.. :(

10. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    BAM should not be too surprised laaah... BWF was very clear from the very beginning that they look for several factors in determining who shall get the Premier SS... among others:
    1. Geographic Distribution; meaning, even if all the best bidders are from Europe, Asia will get something, and vice versa... thus, England and Denmark get extra marks... Also, even within Asia, not all the PSS can be in Southeast Asia [for instance, INA PSS, MAS PSS, and SIN PSS] or Northeast Asia [for instance CHN PSS, KOR PSS, and JPN PSS]... that is not good for badminton either... so, everyone expected that Northeast Asia should get at least one, and Southeast Asia should get at least one, Western Europe at least one... These 3 regions are the stronghold of world badminton, of course each region should get one...

2. Commercial Potential for Badminton; meaning, if the bidder is good in many aspects, but a PSS there won't help badminton as a whole grow, a negative point will be given... so, a large badminton-loving country like China and Indonesia will get extra positive points, and the impact of large prize money will help attract the attention of future professionals, players, coaches, fans, sponsors, etc. to the sport... while Korea's outstanding $1.2 million prize money is considered a breakthrough, no other tournaments in the past offered so much income [thus a better future savings for the players, coaches, etc.] BAM did not do a good job convincing BWF that they had an edge here. Some people in BAM claimed they did not know the bidders can use prize money to compete for extra points... I know for sure Korea have distributed their $1.2 million total prize money bid to everyone in the Kuala Lumpur BWF meeting [including BAM officials] several days before the FINAL bid deadline. So, BAM could easily have written $400,000 or $500,000 or whatever if they chose to. But they did not. INA, not knowing what prize money would be offered by MAS, submitted $600,000 for 2011, $650,000 for 2012, $700,000 for 2013. Thus, overshadowing MAS' puny prize money bid. Korea and Indonesia also played highlighted the active usage of sport-entertainment by involving pop-stars in the promotional events etc. Malaysia did not do enough there...

3. Tournament infrastructure; the bidders must demonstrate they could host a well-organized, enjoyable experience for badminton fans... Malaysia and the other bidders do not have any problems here. If India were to bid that time, they would get negative points based on a negative marks by many BWF officials [and players, if their opinions were asked]...

#171 Krisna, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  11. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    I can understand why Swiss Open is dropped... Too bad... but India is a HUGE commercial potential for badminton, it deserves a SS... As for China's 1 PSS and 1 SS, that is just terrible decision-making from the BWF. Give one SS to the USA next time... ;) Now the USA is a HUGE commercial potential for badminton!!!!! =) Also, it will give me a reason to visit the US... hehehe...

12. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    i think bwf did not take into consideration china badminton super league.

if players like taufik, lin dan, chen jin, bao cl, lcw all sign up to play cbsl

because the $£€¥ involved is too high

what happen to badminton?lol

13. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    The $$$$ is never enough in badminton... ;p

14. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Super series ranking points

I have see that the winner of Super Series final gets 11000 point while the points for runner up is 9350 (almost equivalent to SS title) while semifinalist got 7700 (more than a grand pix gold title). For those who didn't make it out of groupstage get 6050. This is a great way of raking points. I mean you just have to turn up and get a wooping 6050! But I guess you still need some effort to stay as top 8 in the SS standings.

My question is, is Premier super series going to give the same ranking point or is it going to grant points base on this table?

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=15370

I am just a little confused because I thought the winner of super series final is suppose to collect the same amount of point as Premier super series winner. Please correct me if I am wrong.

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yeah, so confusing :confused:
    According to this -- http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=22462 , SS Finals should offer same ranking point with Premier SS

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Regarding the discrepancy in the WR points given for the SSMF and the infos shown on BWF's website, this is the explanation i was given:
    "At the last council meeting, WR points for the SS Final and Premiers had been adjusted, winners receive 11,000 points. We will let the office to check the website and adjust according to the newly approved."

The WR points given for the recently ended SSMF to all the participants are correct and they will be the same for the Premier Super Series (winners get 11,000 pts. and so forth). However, the infos haven't been updated.
    So, check back @ the BWF website in a bit for the new updated infos.

#177 ctjcad, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  17. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Many thanks for the information, ctjcad. I can see that the increase in ranking points as a good move to promote premier Super Series.

18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yup, I notice and check back to BWF website and found this -- http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=28228

Thx chris for your info :)

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    to avoid another Lin Dan walk out, the best way is to change the World Ranking points system.

At the moment, winner of a Super Series event gets 9200 points, runner up gets 7800 and third/fourth get 6420. It ought to be changed to 9200 (winners), 4600 (runner up) and 2300 (third/fourth). That would be real incentive for players to advance to the finals. It is also much fairer.

To avoid Lin Dan not showing up a event, we should use penalty. If a top-10 player do not show up in a SS event, they should have 2000 point or a 5% of their WR deducted, whichever is higher. If a top-10 player do not show up in a PSS event, they should have 3000 point or a 7.5% of their WR deducted, whichever is higher.