Super series in 2011

Discussion in '2011 Tournaments' started by huangkwokhau, Mar 19, 2010.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Accoding to BWF tournament calendar, here's 2011 SS & Premier SS schedule (5 Premier SS + 8 SS) :

Malaysia Super Series -- 18-23 January
    Korea Premier SS -- 25-30 January
    All England Premier SS -- 08-13 March
    Swiss Super Series :confused: -- 15-20 March
    India Super Series -- 26 April-01 May
    Singapore Super Series -- 14-19 June
    Indonesia Premier SS -- 21-26 June
    China Masters Super Series -- 13-18 September
    Japan Super Series -- 20-25 September
    Denmark Premier SS -- 18-23 October
    French Super Series -- 25-30 October
    Hongkong Super Series -- 15-20 November
    China Open Premier SS -- 22-27 November

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

they forgot to drop the Swiss SUPER SERIES from their calender i think.

3. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes, i tot Swiss Open is no longer a SS event....???? :confused:...

But its good, if BWF change their mind.....:) or they shd take out Chn Master and replace with Swiss Open as SS....

#143 jasonmarc, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  4. event

event Regular Member

Interesting schedule indeed. The India Open isn't quite as isolated as it looks there. It is paired with the Asian Championships, at least. Interestingly, all the Premier SS events but Korea are listed at US$500,000, rather than 350,000 and 600,000 as was announced in May. Korea is listed at 1.2 million, though.

5. MelvIndonesia

MelvIndonesia Regular Member

Student
    Swiss Super Series? Is it still exist?

6. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I know that there will be some changes in this SS...

7. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I heard that European badminton was not happy as all Asian countries voted to drop Swiss in favour of India Open which of course that European's votes were outnumbered ...also for China which has 2 SS, also became hot topics which European was upset that Swiss was dropped and China still has 2 SS...
    I did ask to one of BWF official about this matter...

I think that BWF might award Swiss as SS because of the pressures from European and BWF could not find the answer why China could keep 2 SS as initially BWF should drop one of them...

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

One article through Swiss Open official website indicated Swiss Open will be Grand Prix Gold tourney next year.
    Translated by Google, the article title is "Badminton Swiss Open in Basel now the world's largest Grand Prix Gold Tournament", here's the link (German version) -- http://www.swissopen.com/index.php?id=167

9. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I just emailed them....lets see what they say about Swiss Open

10. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    BWF has corrected Swiss Open from SS to Swiss Open Gold GP
    and also they have corrected the prize money of Premier SS as well ( INA Premier with US$ 600K dan the rest with US$ 350K)

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i was thinking about Taufik when i saw that typo (Swiss Open SS). Maybe BWF want to give him an extra chance, rather than have 12 SS/PSS, to win a SS title next yr..;)

12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

What makes you think that Taufik can/might win the Swiss Open SS next year if BWF is to give him a chance, chris?

LOL, i'm sure he still has the capability to win other Super Series also la:D ..

13. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

So it's confirmed, started from next year, there's 5 Premier Super Series + 7 Super Series.
    Thx for the info:)

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    2011 BWF's 5 Premier Super Series events

Yes, thanks for the info. :):):)

I am sure that our top Badminton players will be gearing up to participate in the 5 Premier Super Series events in 2011.

15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The Star Online > Sports
    Wednesday September 15, 2010
    BWF: Premier Super Series mandatory for top shuttlers
    PETALING JAYA: It is often the organisers and sponsors who are at the losing end when the stars do not turn up.
    But this will not be the case when the Premier Super Series, billed as the ‘Grand Slam’ of badminton, takes flight next year.

The Badminton World Federation (BWF) will make it mandatory for all the top 10 singles players and doubles pairs under the world rankings to play in all five Premier Super Series and a minimum of four Super Series tournaments from next year.

The BWF, during their council meeting in May, announced that five countries – South Korea, England, Indonesia, Denmark and China – will host the Premier Super Series for three years from 2011 to 2013.

The Korea Open, which will be held after the season-opening Malaysia Open in January next year, will offer a handsome US$1.2mil in prize money.
    It will make it the richest-ever badminton tournament in history.

Indonesia will offer the second highest prize money of US$600,000, followed by the All-England, Denmark and China Opens at a minimum of US$350,000.
    Also making its debut in the Super Series is the India Open in April.

The India Open replaces the Swiss Open, which has dropped to a Grand Prix Gold status tournament.
    BWF events director Darren Parks, in response to an e-mail query, said the top 10 players in the world rankings on a given date by November this year would come under this ruling.

“This is to ensure that these events have the greatest possible quality and consistency to benefit spectators in the arena and television viewers alike.

“The November date is chosen so that they have plenty of time to put in their entry for the first Super Series of the year in Malaysia and the first Premier Super Series in South Korea.

“Additional players who come into the top 10 in the world rankings at a given date later in the year, approximately at the half-way point in the year, will also be obliged to play in the remaining Premier Super Series and minimum of three Super Series,” he said.

And BWF are drawing up a more stringent penalty for any world top 10 player who fails to turn up without a valid reason.
    “There is a US$5,000 withdrawal penalty, which the disciplinary committee who review the case may wish to add to.
    “The player may avoid paying this fee by travelling to the tournament concerned to take part in media functions, similar to the ATP Tour for tennis.

“But the disciplinary committee may also choose to waive the fee if strong evidence is presented that the player is unfit to travel.
    “BWF will not put the players’ health at risk in any circumstances.”

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2010/9/15/sports/7033820.asp&sec=sports

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Requirements and penalty on missing PSS w/out a valid reason announced..

..so, we finally have a penalty announced by BWF for a player missing out on a PSS tourney without a valid reason (most likely injury): a $5000 in fine. But no mention of WR or SS points reduction.
    But they could still avoid the fine as long as they come to the PSS tourneys and simply take part in media functions..
    Also, additional player who come into top 10 players at a given date later in the yr are required to attend the remaining PSS and at least 3 more SS..or else..
    *thanks, eaglehelang for the news/article clip..

#156 ctjcad, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  17. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

It means all top 10 players/pairs must participate nine tourneys in SS circuit (5 Premiere SS + 4 SS) per year started 2011.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's about time that top players are warned

It's about time that top players are warned to not disappoint organisers and fans like in the past; failing to turn up without a valid reason.

19. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

but how to you enforce it? normally, the main reason for not going is not in form or got better things to do and the excuse will be injures. its not that difficult to get a doctor to certified as injured.
    one way to get all the top players interested is say to double the ranking points and price money. even that might not work, as CHN team clearly stated thet they will not look into the ranking prior to the 12 months before London 2012, thus all the trying out for the doubles pairings. and price money is really peanut for player like LD reported earning over 2mill USD a year.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Perhaps, their National Associations are more to be blamed; not the players themselve

AlanY, After reading your post, I have to make some corrections to my my post.

Most of our top Badminton players are not independent players. Usually their National Associations tell them what to do.

Perhaps, IMHO, their National Associations are more to be blamed; not the players themselves.