People I Would Read

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by quisitor, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quisitor

quisitor Regular Member

Hey, hey! :)
    It's cool to be a fool-- I labelled 99% of us in the "without a clue" category so it can't be all that bad.

I agree. ;)

And yes, we do often read more like a world wrestling federation script. :rolleyes:

2. quisitor

quisitor Regular Member

I agree. :cool:

(I guess I should say more...) :eek:

The guide was intended for people who have started to actively learn about the science of badminton and for newer members. For a new member, often times they will come across conflicting views or oversimplified analyses, which may lead to a detriment in their game rather than an improvement. For members who have been here a while, they are more easily able to filter through the rubbish.

3. quisitor

quisitor Regular Member

I agree. :D

I agree. :) Which is likely why I posted this to my Intro thread:

Also:
    Searching for threads posted by a particular user is not uncommon. Some of the names I've suggested act as a primer. They merely give a newer member a place to begin their search for the truth and from the other posts in those threads, a member can find other users who they feel provide insight.

It is similar in that if one gives a recommendation on racket, string, shuttle, shoe, grip selection, one need not have extensively researched all of the ones available.

Obviously my opinion on who to read is no greater than another's: :)

4. quisitor

quisitor Regular Member

Thank you, thank you! :)

5. quisitor

quisitor Regular Member

I disagree. :D:cool:

6. quisitor

quisitor Regular Member

Excellent post and... I agree. :)
    For some of the newer members who aren't quite committed to doing their own research, they would ideally like to be able to feel that what they're reading is correct-- so the intent of my post was merely to point out that there does exist a lot of misinformation here.

I am of the opinion that the following is the primary reason for a lot of misinformation still existing:
    Perhaps you're one of them? ;) Cheers!

7. quisitor

quisitor Regular Member

;)

You probably meant too "subjective". :) I agree-- see Kwun's post.

I don't think anyone should take offense at not being on my list-- really, why should anyone care if they're not on my list? And if they do, have they taken a look at my list of reasons as to why I would be skeptical about certain posts/users? The only one who could possibly be offended is cooldoob6, who I've inferred has enough of a sense of humour to take it. :cool:

8. quisitor

quisitor Regular Member

Had to show some support. ;)

Also, I don't necessarily agree with the views of the masses on certain topics. I don't always agree with your view but at least it keeps the discussion going so that one day ... :)

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u sure talk from both sides of your mouth:rolleyes:

10. quisitor

quisitor Regular Member

1. Discussion is a basis for learning. Any free society and its constituents should encourage rather than discourage responses.

2. The subjects are not controversial to me. Topics that have been examined are not controversial to a person. Topics that have yet to be examined are often controversial to the individual.

And if it is not?

11. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    yada yada yada... yes yes nice attention seeking post? Are we all happy now? All nice and fuzzy that we are recognised now? Good for you.

Welcome to the forum <--- ? If that was what you were after, an intro about yourself would be appropriate, rather than a rant equivelent to political speeches of how the country or rather in this case the forums should be run. No hang on we're talking about what people should do?

No wait I'm confused..... mmmmm.....

I'm calling your bluff sir on your fullhouse of kings full of aces.

#31 FEND., Dec 14, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hehe, looks like..

..after reading thru quisitor's last few replies, we might see the most "I agree"(w/ 1 "I disagree") responses, so far and all in 1 thread, coming from quisitor him/herself..hehe:rolleyes: :D ;)

#32 ctjcad, Dec 14, 2006
  13. myself.

myself. Regular Member

Student
    :D i agree:D

quisitor is real good!

14. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    I most strongly AGREE! :p Quisitor has garnered quite a bit of attention, and I can't recall any intro which has attracted so many long posts in such a short time. Quite the popular one, now, eh? ;)

Anyways, I am still a fool, and I wish to be separated from those other 99%, because it just wouldn't do to have 99% of the world be fools, now, would it?:p

Indeed. Except that we're even more entertaining. :)

Yes, we are nice and fuzzy, now Sir Fend, quite enjoyable, like these attachments that come with this message. Quite confusing and clever, isn't he?

Not quite...If Lemmings (those little foolish rodents :D) were used to make lemon-ade, Power-ade would be made using power, And Gator-ade would be made using...:p You know what I mean.

Indeed, quite warm. Hopefully not heated, eh?;)

Anyways, I'll be watching this thread for a while, see how far we go with this discussion. Oh, and Mr. Q (Quisitor, that is), if you didn't mind, perhaps you could give us your background info and perhaps the story of your life. Based on this conversation so far, I'm quite sure that it'd be interesting to no end. :D We promise not to stalk you. ;)

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Maybe I am taking angry pills or something? How come I feel even more being offended by this statement??? :eek: :cool:

Let me make it clear, I do NOT care whether I am on someone's "honor list" or "black list" or what so ever. I've been around here for several years, as with my "big mouth" nature, talked a lot everyday. I don't really care ppl support my ideas, or against my ideas. I am sure once a while, my post might make certain individuals feel un-comfortable, but I am also glad that I made a lot of friends here, and learned many things from ppl. If some of my crazy stories can provide some information to others, or simply make ppl laugh a bit and feel better, I of course feel good.

I know that you did stated your reason within your list, and I respect your choices. However, the thing I feel very uncomfortable is (as also in my previous post) is, I feel somehow, your original thread have the intention (or, unintentional but still served the purpose of) "dividing up the community". And some of your reasons, like others (e.g. Cooler) also pointed out, is too subjective. Yeah, you have your rights to speak out, but somehow, I feel this thread has the potential to be "destructive" to the existing friendly environment, rather than being "constructive".

Well, maybe to others don't know me well, it seems that I bring up the whole issue, simply because I am "not being listed" (be it a good or a bad or a joking way). But seriously, hey, I have 7,000+ posts, and I talk a lot. I don't really need anyone to approve or dis-approve my point of view, and my intention is to talk and laugh and share, whether whatever categories I belong to, I do NOT care... :eek:

#35 LazyBuddy, Dec 14, 2006
  16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

We hear you LazyBuddy...

(rest of reply snipped for brevity)...
    hehe, i think you've gotten quisitor's attention now...hehe;):)

Anyways, boy, i've learned something new from this thread. That is, if one wants ATTENTION real quick, all one needs to do is just stir/make up a controversial comments and speech and for sure all BC's will break lose...:p :(
    I think this Intro. thread might be, arguably, the "best" Intro. BC ever had..;)
    And boy, next yr if quisitor hangs around and posts more, indra might have another competition as being "BC's most controversial member"...what fun BC will be, come Jan. 1st, 2007...hehe:rolleyes: :p :D ;)

#36 ctjcad, Dec 14, 2006
  17. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Welcome to the forums quisitor!

It's good to see someone concerned about critical analysis and really treating BC with the respect it deserves for it's educational potential.

One thought though, and this is just a general statement... I think a lot of time there is way too much emphasis on objectivity. We can't really aim for pure objectivity, because that's pure 'knowledge' without application.

The fact of the mater is that even at the highest levels, despite 'objective' similarities between the techniques and styles of the top players, they each have their own subjective "way of badminton" and I think that this is what BC forums reflect... that there are many subjective truths to badminton. How you handle your preference of racket, and how you handle your particular physiology, for example.

Naturally people also have different methods of learning, different techniques that work for them, different points of view about the best way to go about things. BC brings this all under one roof at the same time. All from people of varying level of enthusiasm and expertise. It's nobody's job to tell someone 'you are wrong' but rather to encourage them to find a better subjective truth for themself. And I mean this in the sense that though we can give pointers, ultimately that person has to find his way of badminton for himself beyond model of 'perfect badminton'. In fact, the model of perfect badminton probably doesn't fit anyone, because none of us is perfect enough to use it!

All i'm saying is that the emphasis on general objectivity is important, but lets not dismiss the subjective.

Your idea of watching what people are really saying is an important one-- but don't dismiss anyone's advice or opinions, no matter how redundant or 'useless' or groundless their opinion... see if you you can discuss it with them.

While it is true that a lot of people just post for the sake of posting, as a member of BC it's everyone's responsability to push the sport forward, and that means accepting people with 'nothing better to say' and helping them forward if we think we are 'better'. After all, that's what BC is... a community right? Thick and thin, communities grow together.

Looking forward to readin your posts!

#37 Jinryu, Dec 14, 2006
  18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Here're some of my takes on your "categories":

2. Junks... How you define junks? No technical contents? Not a pro player him/herself? Not perfect english written? Or, simply something YOUSELF not interested? If you are not interested, why that must be junks??? Personally, I might never post much in "Market Place" or "Place to play - XXX or YYY region". Should I consider the information over there are junks, as they serve no purpose of "MY NEED"???

5. From when "I agree" become a fault? If you read a debate, is your responsibility to filter our how much evidence each side can hold. Some ppl did not provide enough reason, as this is not a court. They might don't want to or can't provide reason, but go with their feelings. It might be right, might be wrong, but what's wrong to show support?

7. Everything anyone talk about here, are not brand new inventions. Maybe we learned from class, maybe heard on the street, maybe read from a newspaper. However, they all come from "somewhere". Put this way, say, I make a post of "MP99 is US$150 in XXX store". Several days later, ppl forward my message in another thread say, "3 days ago, MP99 is US$150 in XXX store". What's wrong with that??? S/he did not add any new "meat", but why should s/he do so? Information can't be reached to ppl, if no one "spread" them. It's not like we copy/paste a 500 pages nobel prize winner's document here, but a lot of posts are more like a "hyperlink" or "forwarded message". They did not create anything new, but helped ppl significantly.

#38 LazyBuddy, Dec 14, 2006
  19. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Okay, this must be my lucky break from a stressful week. Who cares :D!

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Draw attention is fine, but if the cost is to "offend others" or "stiring up the dust", I wonder if we should support such behavior. :(

To me, any individual (regardless ages, experiences, wealth, rankings, etc) is welcome, as long as s/he behave in a constructive way to the community. Any destructive behavior to "gain fame" is un-welcome, at least from me.

Did I just make another enemy (in Mr. Q?) in the world again??? :eek:

#40 LazyBuddy, Dec 14, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.