Penalty for Lin Dan

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by kwun, Jan 30, 2008.

?

penalty for Lin Dan

1. no penalty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. small fine - (< US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. large fine - (> US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. suspension for 1 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. suspension for 2 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Large Fine &Suspension

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    some fans does not excuse their favourite player's bad behaviour but still respect their skill and talent. taufik-ist is a good example. i agree with you that media will bash LCW if he did what LD did. no one can justify violent misconduct. i would be angry with LCW too. most probably will apologize for his behaviour if it came to that. will surely demand LCW to apologize to the fans too. :eek: i will ask for stiff punishment for LCW or any malaysian player if they ever did that.

2. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

The guy also said he didn't think all the "patriotic" bad calls in Korea was intended.
    Maybe they were too young? and maybe sight problem, thus see wrongly. (<-- this parts made me :D because i think it sort of contradicts.)
    But don't mind me and he's the umpire, if that's what he said then his account should put into the considerations of the decision.

I know who's being bias. :p(raise my hand)
    Anyway to give another example, on the part of whether LM should take part into line call dispute and talking to LD during the game. I can think of many incidents of this. The closest i remember being PJB in French Open and he's off his bench into the court and even talking to opponent players too although in a milder tone.
    Here, Im not saying because PJB did, and LM should be too. Rule is the rule. I was merely pointing out when PJB or perhaps LYB did that, our "unbias" friend conveniently forget about the rules but come to this case, it all
    seems so wrong and being ultimately used to blame him for being at fault first.
    And not to forget LM a Chinese too, as much as they think we are biased against Chinese players and coaches.
    Whenever a malaysian fans critics of LD or LYB, we all Malaysian are bias.
    Whenever a fans from INA, USA, DEN, SIN or whoever said the same things, they are quietly ignore then later being included as bias comments from Malaysian.
    The same thing in the Chinese forum when a chinese himself share the same view, now can't be blame for bias as they are not Malaysian. So they call them names like traitor, selling out their country.

3. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
  4. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

Who cares if he being fined.
    He will wins all the heart and praises.

To me, walk out is better than to keep playing the game.
    Shake hand, walk out calmly as a form of protest is probably the best thing to do as it will get WBF to really look into this linejudge matters, while continue playing like LCW only to make it as an encouragement for the rest to follow suit.
    But I could be wrong on this.

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

This source is questionable. If the umpire is so understanding, why would he give LD a yellow card? Perhaps he meant that had he been any other player, he would have flashed the red card? So maybe he gave LD a discount? Special privilege for a WR1...

6. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Looking from Lin Dan's point of View

We all remember the bizarre incident of Zinedine Zidane heatbutting Marco Materrazzi in the previous world cup.

There is a parallel here. I guess from the video we can see Li Mao 'baiting' Lin Dan a bit by saying something just like Materrazzi did to Zidane.

Obviously as a professional, Lin Dan overeacted. But the thing was, the game was on the line and even a pro like him, means not winning the prize money. Not only that, Lin Dan was probably thinking the lines ppl are in Korea hence ruling in favor of the local player, Hyun Il.

The thing was Zidane was hugely successful and about to retire, whereas Lin Dan is still in his prime. Therefore the parallel ends here. The public will be less forgiving of Lin Dan's outburst. Frankly speaking, Lin Dan can shout back at Li Mao...but the waving of the racquet in Li Mao's direction looks like an attempted assault. I think if he does that again..he should be banned from at least one SuperSeries game. But I doubt the Badminton federation would want to lose their best player.

7. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Suspension for 2 SS (especially AE and Swiss) and fine of USD10k but still eligible for OG of course.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-As far as i recall..

..that report is the official report/final decision regarding BWF's investigation in his 2006 HK Open walk-out incident case. I'm not aware of the latter part being "official", esp. abt him being suspended for 1 SS.:cool:

*Notice in the article this last statement:
    "Taufik was very apologetic and understands that he cannot do this again. The punishment will definitely be more severe if he violates the players' Code of Conduct again," said Paisan....it should be interesting to see if LinDan would offer some kind of an apology in this incident, if and when BWF's investigation ends.:cool:

#108 ctjcad, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  9. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I think the BWF will take action coz they cannot afford to have the sport in disrespute with strong sponsors coming in and with the sport in the Olympics. A sport where players can act like spoiled brats - throwing tantrums/threats, shouting, and throwing rackets - is not going to do down well with BWF, if action is not taken.

If action was taken, I think it will be a substantial one. As Hauge has pointed out, TH got 1 suspension for a walkout (without fighting), then I think LD should get 3 or more suspensions for 'fighting' during a tournament. He actually wanted to fight Li Mao and if it weren't a person or two holding him back, that racket might have ended up on Li Mao's head (imagine the consequence of that act, in which it would be a criminal assault).

And if that had happened, Li Mao will be able to sue him for injuries (again, imagine how much that would cost). It could be career-ending for LD. I can say he should thank his lucky star none of the above happened. He may be stubborn in his apologies but I think if LI Mao put a complain in for LD's aggression, LD will be a 'goner'. If I were him, I better think fast on how to apologise to Li Mao before it is too late.

10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c

FIFA investigation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinedine_Zidane
    In light of Zidane's statements, FIFA opened disciplinary proceedings to investigate the incident.[34] FIFA also affirmed the legality of Elizondo's decision to send Zidane off, rejecting claims that Cantalejo had illegally relied on video transmission to make a decision about handling Zidane's misconduct.[35] On the grounds that both players had stressed that Materazzi's comments, while defamatory, were not of a racist nature, FIFA issued a CHF5,000 fine and a two-match ban against Materazzi, while Zidane received a three-match ban and a CHF7,500 fine. Since Zidane had already retired, he voluntarily served three days of community service on FIFA's behalf as a substitute for the match ban.[36]

Let there be more parallels.

3 SS tournaments and CHF7500 fine sounds fitting!

Something for Li Mao as well perhaps?

11. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    how is that where the parallel ends? i still think it is very parallel. both zidane and LD are the top players in their respective field. Both were baited. Both reacted violently. and if zidane, who was a professional and were given a red card and was immediately told to leave the field and later fined by the FIFA (if he did not retire he will surely be banned for more than one match after the world cup fiasco in addition to all the other punishment), can accept the responsibility of his actions and apologize to his fans, why cant LD receive punishment like zidane and apologize to his fans too? whether you are about to retire or in your prime, you are a public figure and role models to the youngsters who adore you. violence is never the answer and should never go unpunished.

i agree that it looks like an attempted assault but i think he should be immediately penalized to set an example for all players. and if the BWF reduce the severity of the punishment because he is the top player, then shame on BWF for not putting emphasis on the gross misconduct of a representative of this sport.

12. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I voted for 1ss suspension, for misconduct. But I also think Li Mao should be penalized. Maybe with a big fine, for misconduct! If coaches should be allowed close to the court they should act proffesional and try to set an example for players to follow. If coaches are not balanced, how can we then expect the players they are coaching, to behave well!!! Looking at the videos, it seems to me that Li Mao shouted, agressively and was addressing LD. Coaches, should stick to coaching their players, and not interfer in judging etc. Maybe the best thing would be to only allow coaching during the breaks!

/Twobeer

13. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    yes, this is an example of a man who was being responsible for his actions. zidane realized that what he did was wrong. does LD feel the same? and yes, both parties should be penalized. i think everybody agrees with that.

14. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

Li Mao should be penalized, too...We were taught to bear consequences of our act....so, both LD n LM should be penalized, and the linesman, too!!!!

15. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    maybe kwun could do another poll on what penalty should be given to LM and the korea open organizers. :D

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^BC as BWF??..^^

..do you think kwun/BC is like BWF?? Easily hands out & bans penalties/members??..:confused: ;)

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    instead of guessing what should be the penalty which is laced with emotions and personal bias, why not have a PAP (Pick-A-Penalty) Contest? Guessing what BWF will decide on takes talent;):p

#117 cooler, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  18. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    interesting idea :):D:D:D:p

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..talent or luck??..:confused:

20. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I can't help but notice the 27 comparisons to TH's action...
    "TH just walked out, the punishment should be stiffer"

Well now, that's not quite true...AFter yelling at the ump, yelling at the linesman, and iirc some more random yelling, he shook LD's hand (no umps, no judges, nobody) and just left...
    "he just walked out"...yeah right... way to sugarcoat things..
    Next up, TH did it because he wanted to address an important issue with the bwf and make a heroic stand against the regime...

I'm not condoning LD's actions (though I definatly understand how he feels, being cheated out of 2 set points in a row some weeks back) But just comparing it to an older, settled argument (with a high level of sentiment added) and then beating that down... Not very fair to LD.

I'd say fine + ranking points deducted (which is a lot, seeing it was a final)...Let him be the #2 again for some time ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.