Penalty for Lin Dan

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by kwun, Jan 30, 2008.

?

penalty for Lin Dan

1. no penalty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. small fine - (< US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. large fine - (> US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. suspension for 1 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. suspension for 2 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Large Fine &Suspension

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what do people think BWF should do?

2. stork

stork Regular Member

-
    would vote for 3 or 4 SS-suspension, but can´t find the right button:confused:

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I would vote for 5. Maybe need a ">2".

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    My Vote is for Large Fine and Suspension.

5. ssjtygrysek

ssjtygrysek Regular Member

Civil Engineering Intern
    I think that LD should be suspended for at least 2 SS events. If TH did get suspended for 1 SS just for a "non-destructive" walking away from the game then LD should at least get 2 SS for not only arguing, but throwing a racket at a coach, as well wanting to attack someone with the racket. This is a much worse situation comapred to TH's. All TH did was walk away (which i think was a really calm thing to do, he was pissed but didn't let his anger explode on anyway, he just walked away). I'm sure he knows there were consequences for it but i'm sure he realized that if he caused a fiasco like the KO then it would have been much worse.

BWF shouldn't give a smaller or equal penalty to LD as to TH considering the difference in situation. In order to keep credibility BWF needs to be consistent and place a higher penalty on LD then TH. No matter how much that may hurt the chinese team, if a player does something wrong he needs to suffer the consequences. And if the Chinese team wants to pull out their whole team from those tournaments then be it, the BWF can't be blackmailed by a country to make their decisions. "If you suspend LD we are not sending any players to the two tournaments" What is that like 4th grade response?? Fine don't send your players, gives other countries a better chance.

I also think that the korean team should be penalized as well for the coaches outburst. As long as you are part of the team, let it be player coach or anyone else your actions reflect the teams image and therefore when you suffer the consequences, the team suffers as well. I don't think LD should be suspended from the OG, its a little too far from now. Although if this incident happended right before the OG then I would say suspend him from OG, BWF needs to make sure everyone understands the consequences of their actions.

Now if LD didn't throw his racket and theaten to attack people with his body language then I don't think he would have desrved a suspension but since he did then he deserves it.

6. HiddenPower

HiddenPower Regular Member

didn't TH only get fined 200 for walking out?
    CBA is also filing complain against LM.

So my guess is 2 or 3.

7. ssjtygrysek

Civil Engineering Intern
    I'm pretty positve TH did get a one tournament suspension

8. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I voted for one tournament suspension. I think LD must responsible for throwing the racket.

9. HiddenPower

HiddenPower Regular Member

let LD skip Germany Open, I really want to see him in AE.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    TH had skipped many tournaments before anyway, voluntarily.

#10 cooler, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

However, you forgot the KO is ranked as the "worst tournament" by many players. The comments can speak for itself, as LD faced a much worse treatment than TH during HKO. Also, LD's incident happened at the most critical stage, 3rd set, deuce, of MSF, which is totally not the case for TH.

Anyway, I am not saying LD has the rights to be this out of control. However, I think small fine (consider how much badminton players making) and/or suspension of 1SS (this is Olympic year, and LD himself is a victim of the screw up line judgement 1st) should be good enough to warn the players. :eek:

Overall, the punishment should serve the purpose to warn the players and coaches to behave. It should not serve the purpose to ruin a player's 4-yrs awaiting of Olympics. Further more, it should NEVER give a hint to the coaches or fans an idea of "hey, let's tease the opponents, let him/her doing something crazy, in order to help our own players".

#11 LazyBuddy, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  12. ssjtygrysek

Civil Engineering Intern
    Voluntarily and a suspension are two different things though.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i know.
    what i mean is missing out 1 tournament isnt a big deal for TH, he skips them regularly.

14. hador7

hador7 Regular Member

I think you might be being a little bit biased against LD. I'm not a fan of either LD or TH and I think both of them reacted badly to the situations that they were faced with. But they were entirely different situations. TH walked out after 1 bad call early in the game. LD was reacting to several calls and eventually finished the game. Yes, he tossed his racket and that was wrong, but it was in reaction to Li Mao who was interfering in a crucial point of the game: 3rd set, deuce, of the finals of a major championship. I agree with you to an extent in that LD should get a penalty if he did in fact toss it with the intention of hitting Li Mao but I really haven't seen any video of this. My thought is that he tossed it half way in Li Mao's direction to send him a message but not to purposefully hit him or cause physical damage. More like, "Hey, don't interfere. This isn't your game." But as I said, I haven't seen any video to show the actual racket throwing. Of course, if LD does get suspended, I'm sure Li Mao will be faced with some sort of fine as well for interfering at such a critical point in a match.

Second thing, and this is the main point I want to make, is you said let the Chinese team pull out of the tournaments. I'm a Business Marketing major and I have to say, if China ever did pull out of the major tournaments, sponsorship of badminton will go down big time. I don't have the figures but I can confidently say that Chinese viewers/supporters are the largest segment of the market. If the Chinese team pulled out of the tournaments for any given period, television ratings go down. What does that mean? It means sponsorship goes down. That results in decreased revenues and a decrease in funding, thus, leading to a downward spiral that isn't good for badminton in general.

15. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Large Fine and suspension.
    > USD 10K
    He can continue to participate in ALL remaining SS, but suspense him for OG.
    We don't wish to witness another racket throwing incidents for such a big events like this.
    Same must be enforced to LM as well.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

rest assure, no BWF rulings will be happy by both sides.
    The right ruling will the one which pisses off 50% of the fans, and welcomed by the other 50%.

17. nibaxiang

nibaxiang Regular Member

@Muddy_Elephant
    hehe, my vote: no penalty (my take on this, BWF may just take some small fine).

No saying what LD did is right. But BWF should fix the root of this first. Punish the cheaters first, to prevent that from happenning again. LD is simple a victim of the whole cheating thing.

In my opinion, there is a good portion of the linemen and TVmen on duty were cheaters. How many times their calls had been overruled by the umpire in this single match alone? That should tell us something. And the umpire agreed in a later interview that the ciritical & controversial ruling was WRONG, after he reviewed it again on TV.

One lineman can make mistake from time to time, which is considered fair & human nature. A group of people made the SAME mistake at the SAME time? You tell me what's going on.

A good action on this is to bypass tournaments in Korea (No offense to anybody) and let the cheaters play themselves, until something's done to improve the situation. If the same cheating thing happened in China, I would still propose the same solution.

OK, enough time has been wasted, I am going for a tea... :)

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

on the LD throwing his racket, there isn't a clear by-law on this infraction(correct me if i'm wrong). Therefore, BWF has a large degree of freedom on this matter. However, the by-law is clear on

1. walkout
    2. coaches interferring with Umpire

19. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I guess that's true. Ppl are not smart enough to imagine such a thing can happen on a badminton court. :D

20. morphy

morphy Regular Member

I'd say heavy penalty for LD and not just for throwing the racket. Heavy penalty also for showing no remorse at all for his actions. I don't think it matters so much if he apologized to LM ( altho it would be good) but to not be sorry at all even to his own fans?

When someone shows no remorse they are basically saying "If the same situation arises again, I'll do the same thing I did before. I did nothing wrong before so why should I change?". And that is why the punishment should be hard.

How hard is it to say " I'm sorry I let my fans down and for the sport of badminton by my actions. It was a mistake, it was in the heat of the moment and I wasn't thinking clearly. I will never conduct myself in that manner in the future."? No need to mention LM's name, just a straight honest apology for admiting he made a mistake.

So LD is digging his own grave here. Either he is very stupid or he has terrible PR ppl around him. Now is his chance to make right, not after BWF imposes a penalty/fine or whatever as then an apology after that will feel forced and not sincere.
    As for LM that's another separate matter, Let BWF deal with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.