Penalty for Lin Dan

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by kwun, Jan 30, 2008.

?

penalty for Lin Dan

1. no penalty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. small fine - (< US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. large fine - (> US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. suspension for 1 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. suspension for 2 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Large Fine &Suspension

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Here's another view:
    1. There's only one rogue line judge who made 4 calls in G3,all overruled by umpire. 3 were blatantly bad calls;1 was however, a good call wrongly overruled by umpire.(Note Louisa's sharp note of it in Finals thread)
    2.The controversial call was a close call ,not a blatantly bad call.It disadvantaged LD because mentally,he was exhausted while his opponent was holding his own.
    3. LD will always have minimal cause to be angry if an umpire does not follow his cue.
    4. It turned ugly because LD thought umpire was supposed to be on his side.He lost focus and his attention strayed to the most likely scapegoat of his woes.
    5. How has LD paid for his penalty already? BY losing his match just because of a seemingly easy G1? What did a 21-4 score mean? It could mean:
    5.1 LHI couldn't get started because LD started out too fast.
    5.2 LHI decided beforehand he can only win in 3 so he gotta let G1 go fast to conserve energy.
    5.3 Having made that choice,he used G1 as an opportunity to update him on LD's repertoire (They haven't met for a while)
    5.4 It just turned out that way!
    6. LD had 4 match points, yet he couldn't close.The 4th match point at 23-22
    featured probably the best rally of the match. LD had the upper hand , with at least 3 supreme chances to win it, yet LHI managed to return 'unreturnable' shots superbly,forcing LD into an error.That rally proved LHI's edge over LD.
    I'm sorry this is partially off-topic but have to respond because you're giving LD too much credit.
    Give credit where credit's due.
    LHI won KO simply because he managed to skillfully and mentally outfoxed LD.(Against all odds, including the unusual one of LD having the umpire on his side 80% of the time!)
    btw,for those in Spore who are interested , ch 22 will be repeating the KO MSF on Tue 8-9pm.

2. ianmercer89

ianmercer89 Regular Member

anyone no if and when the decision will be made on wha lin dans punishment will be? I'm hoping he wont be suspended for the all england :-(.

3. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I don't see that I've given Lin Dan any credit, let alone "too much" of it :confused:

The point I've been drumming is:
    Imposing a penalty or waiving a penalty isn't going to solve the underlying issue, which is: error-prone line-judging (deliberate or otherwise) :)

I greatly fear that a penalty (and the fresh debate that will follow) will absolutely mask the critical line-judging issue. This thread in itself is a clear sign of what's in store... just the question of whether to penalise has already blurred the underlying issue :rolleyes:

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..did all (4) over-ruled calls happen in the 3rd Game/set??..I thought, from what i saw, it started in the 2nd Game/set??..In total, as i recall, there were 3 correctly over-ruled line calls, 1 net fault call and of course, the now infamous & controversial last line call that was upheld & incorrectly called..
    ..the over-ruled calls "seemed to be favoring" LD 80% of the time, but all of them were correctly over-ruled..It'll probably feel 240% worse if those calls weren't over-ruled..:cool:

#444 ctjcad, Feb 9, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    That give me a good laugh.
    As i have said earlier, it was the rogue linejudge who had beaten LD, not LHI.
    So if umpire overruling bad calls is considered on LD's side, so not overruling 99% of other line calls should be considered on LHI's side? LOL Man Lin Dan was disadvantaged 99% of the time LOL Hey, it's based on your 'sound' reasoning LOL:rolleyes:

Lets me dissect what skill LHI had use to gain points on LD after the last bad call because there are too many statements made on this issue base on guesses and emotions, not facts.

at 21-21, lets look at how LD lost his points:

-LHI smash down the line and was out by ~2cm but called in - an unforced error by LD (ie, it would be a forced error if LD made a dive save and was unsuccessful)
    -LHI do a regular net shot(not really that tight at all) and LD lift and hit the net not under pressure - an unforced error by LD
    - long rally with LHI and LD cleared out while not under pressure - an unforced error by LD
    - LHI lifted a not very deep shot to LD's backhand cornet, LD do his usual jumpsmash and hit into the net - an unforced error by LD

So, after the squabble, LD lost all his points by his own accord, NOT BY LHI EXECUTING SKILLFULLY DECISIVE WINNING SHOTS. Saying LHI skillfully and mentally beat LD is crap, the linejudge did that. LHI only need to stay calm (which is easy since LHI wasn't involved in the squabble) and keep the rally going. No one can stay focus immediately after a squabble, especially when there are thousands spectators watching and tv camera rolling. The credit goes to the rogue linejudge, period.

#445 cooler, Feb 9, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  6. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    It just seems like all this talk has led to people voting either for or against Lin Dan. As any penalty is a suggestion of opposition, then there really are no moderates, it seems.

7. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

No it won't mask the line-judging issue -- that itself is an issue but not in this thread. That issue is well acknowledged anyway - no one is contending that better judging is not required (everyone has accepted the use of technology).

What is an issue, which is badly defended by recalcitrants here, is LD intimidating a coach of another country (he could not control his emotion and went wild) - we do not accept poor ethos in any form in sport. Please look at it in its real perspectives.

8. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Too right. I thought LD had every chance to win it but he 'botched' it when he could not control LHI, whose fighting spirit and patience gave him the win. With such a win under his belt, I feel LHI will be out to show it is no fluke in the next tournament. His close encounters with LCW suggest to me that LHI will be a force to be reckoned with this year.

9. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Well, you could say punishing any criminal found guilty is not going to solve the underlying issue as well (morality, economic etc).

The issue of linejudging has been a regular topic in this forum. People are generally pretty upset about it. I don't think the issue of punishment for LD is blurring the linejudging issue. In fact, I think it is the other way round for some forummers here (ie. the issue of linejudging is blurring the issue of LD's behaviour).

Why does LD need some sort of punishment? It is to tell players to behave themselves. LD could erupt on matters other than linejudging. Maybe he does not like the service judge faulting him. Maybe the opponent's coach said something. There could be all sorts of underlying reasons for those as well. But nothing excuses the behaviour of LD.

If you like underlying reasons, then read this. If other players start behaving like that or LD becomes even more bold, then the underlying reason may be because LD is not punished this time.

10. nibaxiang

nibaxiang Regular Member

@Muddy_Elephant
    Is this a game of "whose post appears the last, who is the winner?"?? :)

Things about KO couldn't be a bit clear by this far. Still, endless blah blah blah on the same thing over and over again... sigh

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

That's what happens..

..when there are a bunch of tournament-starved BCers milling around in BC....with nothing much more to talk about....:p..
    Ah, but hopefully the upcoming TC&UC Qualification tourney will take center stage and we won't be staring at the current KO sub-forum, any longer..The German, All England and Swiss Opens couldn't come any faster, could they, heh??..:p :D;)

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Hahaha, I've read most of the posts with interest and the majority with suspicion of bias but, yeah, I tend to think that whoever shouts the loudest has the last word. Mods, please put us out of our misery and close this thread. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :cool:

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

U have the option to not visit this thread:p
    I'm not gonna reply to hcyong's last post not because i'm don't have good rebuttal but rather:
    1. with respect i would let oldhand reply first:D since it was addressed to oldhand
    2. my rebuttal would involve discussing eco-social, politiical, cultural issues, disclosing china team insider secret, risking thread closing, AND I don't want to give hcyong free education on understanding these multi-facet interconnected issues.

14. ianmercer89

ianmercer89 Regular Member

so is it still doubtful lin dan will be playing the all england still? when will a decision be made or have they already decidednot to punish him?

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i say, this AE could be taufik's best ever chance to win his sought after title if LD is not there.

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Prepare Thyself!

Well, you do make it sound as if every top-ranked player is just waiting to explode on court...
    ...and also that they will do so unless Lin Dan is immediately made an example of...
    ...well then, this year's All England should be racked by similar or worse demonstrations :(

Game rage is nothing new... and it displays itself in every sport involving intense competition. If we can't see the obvious causes beyond a player's loss of cool, then we are not looking very far, are we? :rolleyes:

As I see it, different people adhere to different social norms:
    There are some that believe spectacle and punishment lead to deterrence
    And there are others that believe reason and reform lead to deterrence

The Taleban is one example of the former group.
    I prefer to count myself in the latter ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.