OUE SINGAPORE Open 2017 : SEMIFINAL & FINAL (15th & 16th April)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Apr 14, 2017.

1. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Who said a word to deny that?
    But significant improvement can be seen, *touch wood* PVS finally getting atleast equal if not better then SN "mentally"
    MS still fragile and lack confidence, I hope after this tourney that'll improve few notches as well.
    Biggest problem is with Ashwini, everyone knows she's a nice player, and now that she have partners who can equally contribute she need to believe in herself. Like the other day she and SBR def a pretty good KOR combo but excruciatingly def by HYQ/Lu Kai

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Ranking means nothing. Everybody will be good at their time. So, its important to win titles during peak performances not just finishing runners up , etc. You dont bring your rankings forever but the titles you win, will always be remembered whole lifetime.

3. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Just my personal thoughts.

IMO BoMo were from an era where the MD discpline was strong. Competition then was really stiff with many top players at their peak e.g. CY/FHF, LYD/JJS, Kido/Setiawan, TBH/KKK, Ahsan/Setiawan, LYD/YYS.

With these top opponents around, the MD pairs need to be all rounders i.e. strong in technical skills (offensive/defensive) and mental resilience to emerge champions. Any small chink in the armour will be exploited. Thus, they have to be really strong, anything lesser than strong would usually lead to a loss. So the MD pairs would have to (imo) undergo intensive training to build up these abilities. Sparring with top opponents at tournaments also help sharpen their skills. Overtime, it developed into a natural ability.

IMO, this is why they are still able to retain these abilities (e.g. defensive thought processes) even though they pass their prime.

This brings to the question the current level of the MD discipline. There are promising pairs who are playing well. But i feel the current MD scene is lacking the presence of top players who can help raise the overall state of play to a higher level. I don't mean to sound harsh but ,imo, the current level of MD play is rather mediocre. Exciting fast paced matches but none particularly outstanding that really impresses and leave a mark in history.

Perhaps it's period of rejuvenation for MD. Guess only time will tell how this generation of MD players will develop and contribute to the sport of badminton.

Sent from my MI NOTE LTE using Tapatalk

#223 nizze, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    rajat_remar and Helix99 like this.
  4. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Srikanth booked return ticket today but now postponed it after his victory.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

drmchsraj and Cheung like this.
  5. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Agree

Sent from my MI NOTE LTE using Tapatalk

#225 nizze, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  6. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    These type of stories are always the best. I remember when Lee/Chau won the AUS open in 2015 there was a similar thing where they had to keep delaying the tickets out of Australia...

7. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    No Malaysia?

8. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

Malaysia needs to mount a decently strong offense in all disciples for reasonably long periods of time. It is full of resources, trainers and talent, somehow it's finding it hard to get past it's own gaps... :-/
    Would love to see new incarnations of Koo/Tan, Wong Mew Choo and CPS/GLY etc., all within top 5/10 at the same time, not in installments :).

9. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Goh/Tan, Goh Jin Wei and Tan/Lai is the newest reincarnations of the respective player.
    However, all of them are massively inconsistent, lack tactics and always underperform.
    I would cherish a day when the MAS pairs can be damn consistent.

10. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Malaysia is a fallen, sick house. They need at least a few more year to rebuild itself.

11. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

From what I can observe, tomorrow's lucky winners, in TV order, are:

XD - Lu/Kai
    WD - Matsutomo/Takahashi
    MS - Praneeth
    WS - Marin
    MD - Li/Liu

I have high confident in my prediction. Come at me the Nostradamus or Nostradamus 2.

12. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

Well, ranking is important for second string players though. Once you get past the 28 mark (practically, around 35) there won't be any significant difference

13. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Ranking is probably important around 25-35 because at the ranking, you can enter Super Series events and other tournament easily.

14. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

No future in sports, ppl are not interested? Unless you are a LCW, ofc..

15. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Same here, except for MS.

CIA-99 likes this.
  16. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Unless your name is Lee Chong bloody Wei, you are not a draw in badminton.
    Only with LCW's name, the whole arena of MAS Open sold out like hot cakes.

17. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Keep Kevin at the baseline and put pressure on Marcus. That’s how all nations should play them. That tip is for free. The next one you have to pay for it!” declared 36-year-old Boe in a jubilant mood.

How kind of Mr. Boe. Let's see what tip they might gave next time. ;)

18. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Nice tip. Problem is Kevin is quick enuff to get back to his fave position, err but not today.

19. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

With all the issues behind, I think tomorrow's matches can be quite exciting.
    Definitely going to check out.

20. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

• MD
    Superb change of tactics by the Danes. This is really where experience plays a part.

I had always wondered why other teams kept trying to challenge the Indos at the net or through fast flat net exchanges (?) when it is obvious that they are a level higher in these areas and that they enjoy playing this style most.

When using high lifts instead you force them to use a lot more energy, and you particularly expose the physical limits of Kevin: very slim figure, perfect to play fast at the net or to defend, but lacking the firepower to score winners from the back of the court, especially when the shuttly comes down vertically and is wavering. As the indos explained: “In the beginning, we had short rallies and lobs which were comfortable for us. But when we were given high shuttles, given heavy shuttles, it was difficult as we needed a tremendous amount of power,” explained Gideon
    • WD
    I could barely believe my eyes that Misaki Matsumoto FINALLY fixed her low serve. Only a few mistakes in the whole match and no kamikaze flick serves. As a result, they had much easier time winning against this robust Korean pair. Final shoud be really interesting.
    • WS
    Really sad that Yamaguchi did not win against Zhang as she is one of the only player who can really push TTY to the limits and win against her. We would have had a better SF I think.

Marin is in a devastating form and really exposed SJH's main weakness: her lack of speed. She was always two steps slower then Marin. SJH is good at staying in balance and covering the court but not when the opponent goes all out attack right from the return of serve.
    • MS & XD
    Didn't even watch these categories as none of these match-up were very exciting to watch/ appealling in my view.

Looking forward the MD/WD/WS finals

nizze likes this.